Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Strange but after 15 months of ownership, mine had some issues today: had the crackling/popping sound, turned of the Stereo and it persisted, stopped at Ralphs (Krogger for some of you), bought some Ribs and it was fine all the way home, it seemed to start after hitting a bump (in the road) which could point to a connection issue over a pinched issue..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Strange but after 15 months of ownership, mine had some issues today: had the crackling/popping sound, turned of the Stereo and it persisted, stopped at Ralphs (Krogger for some of you), bought some Ribs and it was fine all the way home, it seemed to start after hitting a bump (in the road) iwhich could point to a connection issue over a pinched issue..
That sucks man. You seem to be an outlier in that it just happened at 15 months where typically, it seems to be much sooner. Honda really screwed up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found this YouTube video and if you look at the first comment by "Freedom and Joy Ministry", looks like it is indeed the bending of the fiber optic cable that was found to be causing it. I copied and pasted the reply below. Now will Honda please send out a recall or TSB on this?

Hello Honda Friends, I will try to keep this as short as possible by sparing you the boring detail. I have found the fix to that horrible noise that has plagued many with the crackling in the speakers. I went from a 2016 pilot to a 2020 a few months ago and immediately started hearing the crackling noise and first thought it was rocks hitting the window but quickly found out it was the speakers. The noise was so bad that my radio did not have to be playing and the noise was louder than ever. Well I have great news for you all, I worked closely with my Honda dealership to find a solution and after months of trying to research this myself I finely got my answer. I took my car back into the dealership on January 30th because they had just replaced the radio wiring harness and the noise stopped for a moment but when it started back up it was worse than before. Th Issue: I finely got some great news from my service Rep Rita Beni from Headquater Honda in Clermont, FL that a gentleman with American Honda became the test dummy for this crackling issue. The problem he found had everything to do with wiring harness from the radio. The Fix: Honda started using fiber optic wiring harness which I was told Germany uses the same technology. Now with fiber if you notice that is what all cable companies use now because you can transfer a million times more data through fiber than traditional wiring methods. Honda’s case Is that my wires in the car had to be rerouted because they were bending the fiber optic cable which causes interference in the lines and fiber cable cannot be bent. They check all my connections and had to reroute at the connection so that the wire is slightly curved but not bent whatsoever. Also, they saw that some of the connectors were damaged or broken because the wiring was bent. Understand that these fiber cables cannot be bent into a 90-degree angle so in order to allow any form of slight bend and I mean slight; they must be rerouted. My service department in Clermont took care of me and finely fixed my issue and now I can finely enjoy this well-built machine that Honda has created. I have to say that Honda made some great changes from 2016 – 2020 and the problem that has plagued them is this issue with the radio. Please reach out with any questions or concerns and I hope this helps everyone now be able to fix that radio issue and get back to enjoying there Honda.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow! What a runaround! I did the video thing as well for the service tech. I told them I did not care if they could not recreate the problem! They have proof, several bulletins on the issue and multiple complaints of the same thing. Fix it. Replace what needs to be done the first time!

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Wow! What a runaround! I did the video thing as well for the service tech. I told them I did not care if they could not recreate the problem! They have proof, several bulletins on the issue and multiple complaints of the same thing. Fix it. Replace what needs to be done the first time!
And how did that work?

My first call to my local dealer resulted in the service guy saying they would only try to fix what they could duplicate...

·
Registered
16 Posts
It worked.. I was just firm with them. Not coming back multiple times to hear excuses and have no work done because they couldn't duplicate. I refuse to pay for an item that does not work. Plus the screen going dark and having video/audio proof worked. The service tech was pretty good about it. He mentioned the bent fiber optic harness being bent when putting the vehicle together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here! I refused to take it back unless they did something. They tried to tell me there was still no fix. Fortunately (for them) the Honda tech was in the area. Tightened all the connections in the wiring harness. I’ve had it back 4 days now and no issues so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first time posting, but I’ve been following others on here for a while. I bought a 2019 EXL in December, no issues until mid May. Speakers started to crackle and sound would go in and out. I called my dealership and they were well aware of the issue and said they knew how to fix it. I brought it in and left it overnight (they gave me a loaner), they put over 150 miles on it while they had it. For about a month it was working perfectly, but last week I started to hear a couple pops and skips, and then one day I had about 30 seconds of the crackle sound again. Nothing for several days and then today more skips and pops. I called the dealership to see what I should do and they told me right now Honda has stopped authorizing any repairs for this until they come out with a solid fix. They said I should just keep driving the car as is for now, but that if it gets really bad to bring it in, and they will keep it for a few days so a Honda corporate tech can then look at it. They said they will have a fix for this eventually, they just don’t know when. Really disappointed because I traded in my 2016 crv that was working great. Wanted something bigger for our summer and holiday road trips to visit family, and now I’m not sure if I’m even comfortable taking my family on an 800 drive using this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
801 Posts
This is my first time posting, but I’ve been following others on here for a while. I bought a 2019 EXL in December, no issues until mid May. Speakers started to crackle and sound would go in and out. I called my dealership and they were well aware of the issue and said they knew how to fix it. I brought it in and left it overnight (they gave me a loaner), they put over 150 miles on it while they had it. For about a month it was working perfectly, but last week I started to hear a couple pops and skips, and then one day I had about 30 seconds of the crackle sound again. Nothing for several days and then today more skips and pops. I called the dealership to see what I should do and they told me right now Honda has stopped authorizing any repairs for this until they come out with a solid fix. They said I should just keep driving the car as is for now, but that if it gets really bad to bring it in, and they will keep it for a few days so a Honda corporate tech can then look at it. They said they will have a fix for this eventually, they just don’t know when. Really disappointed because I traded in my 2016 crv that was working great. Wanted something bigger for our summer and holiday road trips to visit family, and now I’m not sure if I’m even comfortable taking my family on an 800 drive using this vehicle.
Be sure to record the date and names of everyone you spoke with, and what they told you. You’ll need backup info if this turns into a lemon law case, or if the local dealer keeps jerking you around. Did you open a case with Honda customer service and get a case number? If not, do so soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Document every interaction with them! Push for answers and follow up! I have to do this at work everyday and I did the same thing with my dealership. They key is to stay on top of them at every turn and not let up. You are paying for this car, it should perform as expected. Since my visit, mine is functioning perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Passport Touring and bought about 4 months ago. Started seeing the issue a few weeks into ownership. I have Sirius XM and Amazon music. I'd switch between the two when listening to music. At first, I thought it was the Bluetooth connection and Amazon music as it was "streaming" music. But then I started noticing the issue with the radio as well. It is very sporadic and hard to "recreate" it. Turning off music/radio, it still "clips/pops" through the speakers. Does anyone know if it leads to any more serious issues if not addressed? Right now, it is a slight annoyance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, just happened to come across this forum and saw that other people were having this problem I had as well.

What fixed mine from that popping / skipping noise was having my dealership re-set the wiring system and re-put it back together. It completely fixed my problem and I have not heard any popping noises since, what caused it to happen was when the vehicle hits bumps / potholes in the holes. I had the same issue where we couldn't re-create the noise while he was in the vehicle because guess what, they couldn't hear the problem either when I took it to them. & then when we test drove it and started to hit little bumps in the road, it started making that pop corn noise

My vehicle has been good since (6 months now since I've had the Passport 2019) then and it really doesn't make that noise at all, I will say I have heard it a little bit recently when driving up to Secacus NJ crossing over the bridge hitting bump after bump. But its no where near as bad as the beginning and its only a subtle noise nothing to troubling for me (I am still covered under warranty if anything happens again).

Hopefully this can help solve some problems everyone else is having.

Edit: I have the Touring Passport 2019 & The dealership had my car in the shop for (2 days + they had to test drive it for 100 miles this was discussed with the financing department so its not a problem with my contract)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts