Honda Passport Forum banner

Questions from a potential passport buyer

8K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  elder prep 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I own an original 2003 pilot, and I’m looking at the new passport. I have a few questions and concerns about the new passport, and would appreciate any feedback.

Size - Is the 2019 passport the same size as the old, original 2003 pilot? I think the current pilot is a good bit larger than the 2003. Is this so?

Black wheels - I am looking at the touring trim. I understand the black wheels are painted. Wouldn’t this be a problem with scratches? Can you get an aluminum or metal option, without the huge upcharge?

Center console - I really don’t like the flimsy armrest, and I like the high, padded, wide center console in the 2003. It is very comfortable for me to rest my arm in many positions. Is there an aftermarket solution? What has been others experience not having the traditional console?

9 speed transmission - I’ve read a lot of non flattering reviews. Is this transmission ok or not? Did Honda miss the boat with this non Honda transmission?

Thanks for any feedback.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I don't have one yet, but understand all your concerns:
Length: Handled above
Black Wheels: hate them too, that's a huge reason I'm targeting a Touring as well, there are several owner videos on YouTube that show how dirty the black rims get.
Center Console: I think most all of us are used to having a padded-center-armrest, so unless you drive a Motorhome, these flip up/down armrests will take some getting used to, but in reading the thoughts of previous years' Pilot owners, it seems like they easily got used to them. ALSO: there is supposedly an aftermarket company that makes a bigger & beefier replacement arm rest - but I saw a lot of complaints on the difficulty involved in the installation. FOR ME: I was thinking if I do not like it, I might try to get some sheepskin sleeve that simply pulls over it and velcro's in place,.
Transmission: A lot of people bring up the transmission questions based on previous Pilot issues, but VERY FEW reviewers and current owners are reporting any issues with it, so perhaps Honda did as they said in the Passport Press Release: they fixed it!

Hope that helps...!

#5 ·
I have noticed some oddities that seem to be relating to downshifting at highway speeds. With so many safety features I keep thinking it’s related to something like the adaptive cruise control, but this happens on occasion when ACC is off. Most of the time it’s a very smooth shifting transmission.

I have over 1,500 miles on my car, and I’m still missing the padded armrest. Those flimsy flip-downs just don’t cut it for a big guy like me. But, the overall layout of the center console is much better than my 2012. As much as some gripe about the push button gear shift, at least it doesn’t get in the way of my morning cup of coffee!

#7 ·
Black wheels - I am looking at the touring trim. I understand the black wheels are painted. Wouldn’t this be a problem with scratches? Can you get an aluminum or metal option, without the huge upcharge?
Nearly all wheels today are clear-coated, whether they are painted or machined with a "bare metal" appearance. So it all depends on how deep the scratch is before it's noticeable. Curb rash is going to show on any wheel.

#20 ·
I just got my Passport EX L, I had the dealer transfer my tires (I just had replaced the oem Bridgestone's to Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
the Michelins for the former 2019 Ridgeline) the dealer initially sniveled about the transfer but convinced them with threads from this forum all was well with letting them keep the 20" and me keeping my 18's (the rhino warlords are exact same size as the original equipment 2019 ridgeline honda oem taken with input from ridgeline forum) the forums are the main influences I have had for my choices. So helpful...

#8 ·
If you're getting the Touring trim level you will not be getting the black wheels -- at least here in the USA. Black only for the Sport and Elite trim levels (different spoke design between them). I'm on the fence about the black wheels only because (1) too shiny for me and (2) they are 20". I'm going to downsize to a 18" with tires to fill the gap between the 18's and 20" wheels.

I too read about the transmission and wondered if this would be a concern. None here. I came from a Toyota Tacoma and with that vehicle, well, the transmission is a POS... all I'm going to say. Great truck otherwise but don't bother driving above 50mph. It'll gear hunt all the time and kill fuel economy -- at least with my specific experience.

Reactions: Moab Junky
#19 ·
I just want to say to anyone looking at free VIN checks, be careful! I mean, not that Carfax is the last word on anything. It's certainly not infallible. But for "fun," I checked about 3 or 4 of those free VIN check sites and threw in the VIN of our old car which I KNOW has a salvage title and was recently sold at an insurance auction. NONE of the free sites showed any title issues or reported accidents, and only recorded the initial dealership sale. One of the sites even proudly displayed "Congratulations, this is a good buy!" I had a good laugh at that, but then I cringed at the thought that someone might try to sell my old totaled car and get away with it. Just food for thought.

#12 ·
My 2019 Passport with 11k miles failed a transmission at 1am in the morning 10 miles from anything. Honda replaced it under warranty.

The 9 speed issues remain, the transmission is highly suspect.

#13 ·
Hello everyone, I own an original 2003 pilot, and I’m looking at the new passport. I have a few questions and concerns about the new passport, and would appreciate any feedback.

Size - Is the 2019 passport the same size as the old, original 2003 pilot? I think the current pilot is a good bit larger than the 2003. Is this so?

Center console - I really don’t like the flimsy armrest, and I like the high, padded, wide center console in the 2003. It is very comfortable for me to rest my arm in many positions. Is there an aftermarket solution? What has been others experience not having the traditional console?

9 speed transmission - I’ve read a lot of non flattering reviews. Is this transmission ok or not? Did Honda miss the boat with this non Honda transmission?

Thanks for any feedback.
Hi Tim, I have over 3,600 miles on my Elite PP and had no problems with the 9-speed trans. Also, I too had a Pilot (2012) with the big center console, but now I really like the adjustable armrest in the PP.

#14 ·
I posted earlier about my experience with the transmission at 1,500 miles. 10k miles later, and the transmission seems to have smoothed out. No longer notice any issues when downshifting. The transition from park to drive still can be a little slow.

And I don’t like the armrests any better than I did at 1,500 miles lol. Otherwise, there is very little I can complain about.

#15 ·
The armest is also a turn off for me. I don't like the flimsy armrest. TBD. It won't change tho. You will need to test drive is and sit in it and see if it bothers you or not. I also don;t like that there is no shifter to rest my hands on. I don't know where to put my spare hand (and don't say the steering wheel) because I don't drive with 2 hands lol..

#17 ·
I also missed the shifter at first, as I, too, was used to resting my hand on it. I’ve been weaned from it now, and actually like the push-button shift. Muscle memory seemed to kick in by the time I hit 10k miles.

I remember with my old Pilot I was always watching to make sure I didn’t pass by “D” to go to “2” or “1”. Not an issue with this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.