Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Car Wheel Sky Plant community

Hi all, I thought I'd share some feedback on my new 2021 passport after extended testing.

Drove 2300 miles over 8 days. 2200 were highway driving at 70-110 mph. ~100 miles on dirt,mud,sand and rock. 4k total miles on vehicle at this point. Stock tires and rims. 2021 Elite AWD.

Offroading was a mix of Utah sand and mud, with some light slickrock ledge sections. It handled the ledges easily. I don't know if I would try it on a truly gnarly Jeep trail like JonDZ without mods but even in stock form the passport handled it all really well. I also tried rear-wheel drive (sand-mode) donuts in a sandy-wash. Very fun.

tldr; this car is awesome.

Some interesting notes and thoughts:
-speed limiter at 114 mph. Why? The engine has PLENTY of power to do 130+. Is this to reduce rollover risk? My other Honda does not have a limiter.
-The rear hatch dings on open & close. EVERY time. Any official ways to shut this off? Any hacks?
-anyone else moving from a manual transmission to the passport? What are your feelings on the shifting response?

Good luck to all and happy trails.

·
Banned
513 Posts
You're driving 110 plus mph on the highway in Passport and still want to go faster. You are a nuisance and a dangerous person on the road. What in the world is going through your mind? Please stop before somebody dies.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You're driving 110 plus mph on the highway in Passport and still want to go faster. You are a nuisance and a dangerous person on the road. What in the world is going through your mind? Please stop before somebody dies.
He could be driving in the middle of no where. It's been proven speed does not cause accidents (see autobahn).

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
601 Posts
Please add more pics of your trip, sounds like you had a blast!

·
Registered
266 Posts
View attachment 13207
Hi all, I thought I'd share some feedback on my new 2021 passport after extended testing.

Drove 2300 miles over 8 days. 2200 were highway driving at 70-110 mph. ~100 miles on dirt,mud,sand and rock. 4k total miles on vehicle at this point. Stock tires and rims. 2021 Elite AWD.

Offroading was a mix of Utah sand and mud, with some light slickrock ledge sections. It handled the ledges easily. I don't know if I would try it on a truly gnarly Jeep trail like JonDZ without mods but even in stock form the passport handled it all really well. I also tried rear-wheel drive (sand-mode) donuts in a sandy-wash. Very fun.

-speed limiter at 114 mph. Why? The engine has PLENTY of power to do 130+. Is this to reduce rollover risk? My other Honda does not have a limiter.
-The rear hatch dings on open & close. EVERY time. Any official ways to shut this off? Any hacks?
-anyone else moving from a manual transmission to the passport? What are your feelings on the shifting response?

Glad you like the car. I've done the drive really fast thing a couple times when I was young but wouldn't do so again. Lucky you didn't get a ticket, as in most states that is straight to jail speed. Obviously safety is relative in the middle of nowhere, but risks go way up.

The reason for the limiter is probably that an SUV like the passport does not have: the height stability, suspension, tire choices, brakes to handle going that fast safely. Most SUV tires top out at around 110MPH before the material becomes unsafe due to heat or structural wobble. As mentioned, all those other systems are not made for it either.

If you don't like the rear hatch sound, you can manually actuate it with a button press and it will not beep. This makes it semi power lift, as you operate manually but have to put forth some assisted effort. I wish the option for silence and lights off liftgate existed. The passport also has no dome light without lights in door mode, and no way to start without touching brakes- so it was never made with night vision / photography / stealth in mind. Pretty annoying choices by Honda that would be a few lines of firmware code.

Shifting response is ok for a 9 speed. All 9 speeds seem to have hesitation points. After acclimation they rarely bother me. In S mode with ECO off the shift response is very good and feels more like a manual if needed. Try the paddle shifters.

Be careful on sharp rocks with the stock tires. Stay safe out there and enjoy your PP.

·
Registered
266 Posts
He could be driving in the middle of no where. It's been proven speed does not cause accidents (see autobahn).
True, but the autobahn is specifically designed with safety features for high speed and visibility, and German drivers are trained for it. Anyway I can't judge too harshly but still, be safe out there and enjoy your Passport!

·
Registered
801 Posts
View attachment 13207

One can simply unplug the "buzzer" for the lifgate. It is a tight reach behind the rear bumper. Search this forum to see what others have posted on how to do this.

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
74 Posts
Why has this user been "banned"? I sure hope it wasn't related to this post.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
601 Posts
Why has this user been "banned"? I sure hope it wasn't related to this post.
I'll take a wild guess, because that person was toxic. I feel the mods have been extremely fair.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No way on stock tires. They would have popped like balloons. I would hit a small pothole and the tire would blow out. I need proof!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah great comparison with the Autobahn. I lived in Germany and when there was a accident on the autobahn they didn’t call the police they called the morgue. More people die on the autobahn than you think. Also tailgating on the autobahn is a big no-no. You will get hit with a big fine and the have cameras all over the autobahn. So if your being a ass and weaving in and out of traffic like your in a race they will dispatch a police car and issue a heavy fine. People think that the Autobahn is their own race track and there is no law there. Think again.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD Blue
111 Posts
Sounds like a great trip and thanks for sharing! I have had my Passport up to 100+ and it felt fine and ready for more as you suggested. Not sure I would want to get a speeding ticket at those speeds so I didn't pursue the speed limiter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts