Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife's PP that I rarely drive. She complains of problems like this:

1. She approaches the driver side door, with her purse-with-keyfob over her shoulder, and the door doesn't open by the handle. She has to find the fob inside her purse and push the button.

2. Same with the rear hatch--she approaches it and attempts to use the handle/button to open it and it fails. She gets out the fob and pushes the button.

All that I can think of is that she carries her iPhone in her purse with her keyfob, and maybe the iPhone creates RF interference with the fob? Yes I have advised her to separate the phone from the fob i.e. opposite sides of her purse, but I wonder if anyone here has seen or heard of this problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
a. You may want to consider replacing the battery of the fob, low battery strength may cause weak signals.
b. If this happens with a specific purse, that purse could have materials creating a "Faraday cage" thereby blocking the fob's RFID signals from exiting the purse.
c. Interference from items like phones does degrade fob signals as you observed, separating them in the bag might not help as long as the proximity is still there.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
600 Posts
Being you have a 2019 and she is experiencing this issue now, my bet is on the key fob battery like fx_chip mentioned.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's always had this complaint and asked me long ago about whether I saw any complaints here and I said no. The battery's been replaced a couple of times so it's not that.

Dunno about possible RFID liners in the purse but will look into that.Also am not sure if purse is new or she's been using it since 2019... Good idea though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do RFID-blocking purses give some indication that they are so? Wife buys & cleans-out, packs-up purses on her own and I've paid no attention to that, but I will visually inspect...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wife's PP that I rarely drive. She complains of problems like this:

1. She approaches the driver side door, with her purse-with-keyfob over her shoulder, and the door doesn't open by the handle. She has to find the fob inside her purse and push the button.

2. Same with the rear hatch--she approaches it and attempts to use the handle/button to open it and it fails. She gets out the fob and pushes the button.

All that I can think of is that she carries her iPhone in her purse with her keyfob, and maybe the iPhone creates RF interference with the fob? Yes I have advised her to separate the phone from the fob i.e. opposite sides of her purse, but I wonder if anyone here has seen or heard of this problem.
Same issue with my 21 PP. I think the iPhone interferes with the key fob . Now I don’t keep the iPhone and the key fob in the same pocket. Everything is working normally.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
39 Posts
Usually a purse with RF protection will say so on the tag. I have one but I don't have any problems with the fob. I always keep it in the purse. On the other hand, I almost never keep my iPhone in my purse. It's either in my pocket or my hand.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We recently had a windshield replacement, and with that we find that some things are working that never worked before e.g. Auto Stop. And the fob appears now to be working reliably. Also the "kick to open hatch".

It seems that perhaps disconnecting the battery may have caused some sort of reset and subsequent clearing-out of bugs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem with my fob. I keep it in my pants pocket, NOT next to my android phone. Sometimes the lock/unlock buttons won't work right away. Driving home last night, the dash kept telling me it could not detect the key fob, even when I held it against the start button. Pretty new battery, but put in another brand new battery this morning. Noticed the red immobilier light flashing on the dash now when I press the lock button on the door handle. Is that normal?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
None of that is normal! If you don't want to visit your dealer, you might try disconnecting the vehicle battery, which seems to have resulted--in our case anyway--in a system reset that caused our fob to work properly again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have noticed that occasionally when I have my key fob in the same pocket as my bluetooth AirPods, the doors won’t Auto Unlock. If i lift my key fob out or lift the AirPods out, the doors will Auto Unlock as normal.

Very strange, I suppose it hasn’t happened enough to say “this is for sure the problem” but I have noticed that occasionally this happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts