Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had an oil change, tire rotation service at the dealer and I've noticed that my steering wheel is now slightly off center to the left when driving on a flat road. Yes I know the slight crown in a road can affect this, but it was not like this before the tire rotation. It also slightly drifts to the right, again a condition that did not exist before. This is the second tire rotation, so the wheels/tires are back in their original factory locacation. Any ideas what is causing this? I plan to take it back to the dealer since I need to have the current recall done also.

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
283 Posts
Tire rotation consists of front tires move back and rear tires cross sides and move up, meaning it would take 4 tire rotations to get back to original factory location. Also with independent suspension wheel alignment should be done to all 4 wheels, not just the front.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always do my tire rotations a little different...I always cross my front tires and move them to the rear...Then I move my front tires straight to the front...That way the tires you have on the front are rotating the same direction as before...Sometimes when you change the rolling direction of a tire you can have a pulling problem...And if the tire is on the front you will feel it...Using this method, all four tires still get rotated to all the same locations as using Honda's recommendations...

As far as the steering wheel being off center, that could be caused by excessive pulling of one of the front tires??? The alignment should not have changed doing a tire rotation...Maybe ask the dealer to put the tires back the way they were before the rotation to see if the problem is corrected??? Please let us know the outcome...Thank You, larryd

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire pressures are set correctly.
Dealer rotated the tires front to back on first oil change, and back to front on second oil change, hence they are in the same position as "factory". I'll ask the dealer to check alignment when I'm in for the recall. I believe they do a "free" alignment check.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's kind of strange for the wheel to be off center unless someone screwed up an alignment or you bent a tire rod or something.

·
Registered
2019 Elite Black Forest
68 Posts
I don’t think your tires would be back to original position until 2 more rotations. Look at the pattern they were rotated. As for your problem, I would guess you have a bad tire, not necessarily visible but possibly a broken belt in the tire. If that’s the problem alignment will not help. Might be covered under warranty. Otherwise you’d probably have to move the offending tire back to the rear or replace.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t think your tires would be back to original position until 2 more rotations. Look at the pattern they were rotated. As for your problem, I would guess you have a bad tire, not necessarily visible but possibly a broken belt in the tire. If that’s the problem alignment will not help. Might be covered under warranty. Otherwise you’d probably have to move the offending tire back to the rear or replace.
At the first oil change tires front tires were moved to the back, second oil change (the one I just had), the back tires were moved to the front, their original position from the factory. I don't understand why you say it will take 2 more rotations. Both rotations were simply front to back and back to front, not cross rotated.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's kind of strange for the wheel to be off center unless someone screwed up an alignment or you bent a tire rod or something.
I doubt if a tie rod got bent, as I haven't hit a large pot hole or run into a curb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts