Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone give these a look when you got your Passport? Right now the wife and I are cross shopping these. An EX-L PP vs a SE w/ Tech Atlas. Both with AWD.

It comes down to the wife's decision, but the PP feels more sport and quick vs the Atlas. With a second kid on the way it is hard to put a true value on the extra space of the Atlas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I never even considered the Atlas to be honest. I was cross-shopping the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, Acura RDX A-Spec, Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, and the Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the RDX and CX-5. Both are great, but a little small for rear facing car seats which our life revolves around right now. I will say after driving both, we'll probably end up with an Atlas.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
VW alert...! The following is my educated opinion, having worked in the Auto industry for over 15 years and driving, owning, and observing people who owned vehicles (including VW's) and I would NEVER ever own one, they are horribly designed, typically rank near the bottom in reliability and customer satisfaction and the stories I have heard from owners about the local VW dealers made me cringe!

In Southern California nearly 80% of VW drivers are women, who are lovely creatures by the way, but I fear they typically fall easy prey to VW salespeople...

So buyer beware on this one and if your wife likes them, do everything you can to get her off wanting/buying one.

Remember the old drug ads about: "Friends don't let friends do drugs"? Well that has now morphed into: "Friends don't let friends buy VW's"...!
Cheers!

·
Registered
53 Posts
We looked at the VW when my wife was looking for her car. I chose the PP simply because of the cargo room. NOTHING else compared that did not have a third row seat. Frankly, third row seating for me and my life is not going to happen.
Later when my wife chose something completely different I was talking with a friend who had a VW. He got rid of it during the gas mileage reporting scam but he also said to me, "everytime I took that vehicle in for repair it was $1000. I just got sick of paying that kind of repair bill."

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
I’ve driven so many rental VW Atlas’ this year and they lack engine power, have terrible road noise, and the infotainment system gives little impression.

My SIL has an Atlas and when she doesn’t do her system update, it will just shut down and stop driving! It’s happened twice and they will be trading in the lease as soon as they can. She’s a busy gal between my two young nephews, my brother and her work, she just forgets to do the updates when sitting at home in the garage with the three of them freaking out about something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Owned several VW Touaregs, TDI and gas. TDI was really nice, although I never had to have repairs outside of the warranty. After ~20 years of owning VW products, it seemed their quality improved greatly while customer support got worse. To me, the Passport is a much better value over the Atlas. The Atlas seems to mostly be a people mover while the Passport has some better utility capability without being a truck.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
336 Posts
I looked at the VW Atlas Cross Sport last week and was very impressed. Until....I read about all of the coolant issues due to bad head gaskets. Endless repairs, replacing the top half of the engine, and still having the same problems. The coolant getting into the cylinders apparently damaged the cats, which have to be replaced as well. Could be why the Atlas has horrendous depreciation and resale value. It really did look sharp though, and well equipped.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
336 Posts
Regarding the Atlas, I read about a guy who just purchased a new one, and on his way home he stopped to fill up the empty tank. He couldn’t get the nozzle into the filler tube! Also, the NAV didn’t work, which had a “no data” message. Brought it right back to the dealer. They had to order a new gas tank and a new antenna for the NAV. Didn’t even get it home! That sucks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts