Honda Passport Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah, Montana. I'd be there tomorrow if I could! Got a friend in Corvallis and have done some hunting outside of Broadus in the last few years. Gorgeous from one side of the state to the other. Lucky you!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Slightly in reverse... let me get more miles on them and I'll find out just how much
Have you had a chance to take it light off roading? I'm curious if the rubbing gets worse over harsher terrain. Anyone have more experience with this? Maybe I'm too cautious on this but I would be very concerned over any rubbing....I'd hate to have a problem a few miles down a dirt road.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Wheel and tires came as a package with lift kit and side steps, via my original purchase and finance through my dealer. $3,200 + $1,200 labor.
To get these wheels and tires, order as a package from JSport, or purchase separately online such as Tirerack.com and/or Discounttire.com. Do not rush your decision and get outside advice if you aren't sure. 🧐

Wheel:
KM708 Bully by KMC
KM70888052738
Satin Black
18"dia x 8" wide
5x120 Bolt Pattern
38mm Offset

Tire:
255/60/R18
Nitto Terra Grappler

For those on the fence know this:
There is a lot of good info scattered around this site and Youtube. Get good at sleuthing. As for my setup, I love the way it rides on pavement and over bumps, and am pleased with the lack of road noise. I have 8" of ground clearance to the front control arms and almost 9" to the rear and that seems adequate for forest service roads. Will update after my first adventure.

For those in the midst of their research - I purchased this setup before I understood how to accommodate a larger Nitto Grappler, such as 265/60/R18 which I was told rubbed. But depending on the tire brand, the actual tire dimensions when mounted and fully loaded can vary. There have been owners going with a larger spec'd diameter and don't hear rubbing - but if their tire actually measures 265 mm width and 60% sidewall ratio as spec'd, it should rub at least at full lock.
I am okay not taking that risk and going with the 30" Nitto, which has a reputation for tires measuring true to size.

Assuming your wheel Offset dim is close to or less than OEM 55mm:
I don't believe that 265/60/R18 by BF Goodrich or Cooper will rub.
The 265/60/R18 Falken Wildpeak does rub at full lock.
The 265/60/R18 Nitto Grapplers will rub during any turning. (someone can verify this...)
JonDZ has commented on his Youtube tire height video that he has 99.9% certainty that a 255/65/R18 won't rub (Falken or Goodyear). Would love to see someone mount these and confirm. Your reward will be a 31" tire!🙌😛

OK, that's it.😅

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
View attachment 7108 View attachment 7107
Wheel and tires came as a package with lift kit and side steps, via my original purchase and finance through my dealer. $3,200 + $1,200 labor.
To get these wheels and tires, order as a package from JSport, or purchase separately online such as Tirerack.com and/or Discounttire.com. Do not rush your decision and get outside advice if you aren't sure. 🧐

Wheel:
KM708 Bully by KMC
KM70888052738
Satin Black
18"dia x 8" wide
5x120 Bolt Pattern
38mm Offset

Tire:
255/60/R18
Nitto Terra Grappler

There is a lot of good info scattered around this site and Youtube. Get good at sleuthing. As for my setup, I love the way it rides on pavement and over bumps, and am pleased with the lack of road noise. I have 8" of ground clearance to the front control arms and almost 9" to the rear and that seems adequate for forest service roads. Will update after my first adventure.

For those in the midst of their research - I purchased this setup before I understood how to accommodate a larger Nitto Grappler, such as 265/60/R18 which I was told rubbed. But depending on the tire brand, the actual tire dimensions when mounted and fully loaded can vary. There have been owners going with a larger spec'd diameter and don't hear rubbing - but if their tire actually measures 265 mm width and 60% sidewall ratio as spec'd, it should rub at least at full lock.
I am okay not taking that risk and going with the 30" Nitto, which has a reputation for tires measuring true to size.

Assuming your wheel Offset dim is close to or less than OEM 34mm:
The 265/60/R18 Nitto Grapplers will rub during any turning. (someone can verify this...)
JonDZ has commented on his Youtube tire height video that he has 99.9% certainty that a 255/65/R18 won't rub (Falken or Goodyear). Would love to see someone mount these and confirm. Your reward will be a 31" tire!🙌😛

OK, that's it.😅
Looks great! Love the wheels! 255 does fill in a bit better. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Wheel:
KM708 Bully by KMC
KM70888052738
Satin Black
18"dia x 8" wide
5x120 Bolt Pattern
38mm Offset

Tire:
255/60/R18
Nitto Terra Grappler

OK, that's it.😅
The PP looks amazing and the info is very helpful! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
30 Posts

Wheel:
KM708 Bully by KMC
KM70888052738
Satin Black
18"dia x 8" wide
5x120 Bolt Pattern
38mm Offset

Tire:
255/60/R18
Nitto Terra Grappler

OK, that's it.😅
Hey, did you notice any changes to mpg? City or hwy or even average? I am curious if the wider tire has a big impact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is everyone ordering for TPMS? Not really interested in paying to get the old tires dismounted and TPMS off being it seems like replacements can be had from Honda for under $100 (saw the post for the part #s). But I'm not against getting an aftermarket brand I can have shipped here faster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is everyone ordering for TPMS? Not really interested in paying to get the old tires dismounted and TPMS off being it seems like replacements can be had from Honda for under $100 (saw the post for the part #s). But I'm not against getting an aftermarket brand I can have shipped here faster.
I bought my tires at Costco so they installed whatever they had. I thought they used Honda OEM TPMS.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,569 Posts
I used my OEM TPMS. No issues.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
287 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
. . . replacements can be had from Honda for under $100 (saw the post for the part #s)
Have you checked recent prices? When I bought mine 1 yr. ago from oempartsource, I paid $106 for a set. I just did a quick check of several discount Honda sites and they were all $30+/ea. now.
Anyway, I just mounted them in my new wheels and went to Costco to have tires mounted that I had ordered.
What Costco offers may be just as good quality and be cheaper, if you are buying tires there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have decided to pick up a PP touring in October and after seeing this thread I am going for the aftermarket wheels and tires as soon as I pick it up. Now I have seen a lot of 18" and 20" wheels, but I have yet to see anyone go with 19" wheels. So after doing some research from reading this forum I thought I would put it out there to see if it would be an issue.
I have found the wheels that are 19 x 8.5 in the 5 x 120 bolt pattern with a 35 offset in black.
https://www.americastire.com/buy-wheels/xo-luxury-helsinki

And the tires I was looking at where the Continental Terrain Contact A/T 255/55 R19
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/continental-terrain-contact-a-t/p/32278

There shouldn't be an issue with rubbing in this size and since it will be on pavement probably 95% of the time, I thought it would soften up the ride a little bit with a little bigger sidewall, but will still be ready to hit the trail if need be. I would love to hear your thoughts on this good or bad since I still have time to change my mind. Thank you in advance, Jay

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
So I have decided to pick up a PP touring in October and after seeing this thread I am going for the aftermarket wheels and tires as soon as I pick it up. Now I have seen a lot of 18" and 20" wheels, but I have yet to see anyone go with 19" wheels. So after doing some research from reading this forum I thought I would put it out there to see if it would be an issue.
Hello Jay and welcome, great idea buying the PP, great idea swapping out the OEM tires/wheels, great idea going with the Continental Terrain Contact A/T's!

I have found the wheels that are 19 x 8.5 in the 5 x 120 bolt pattern with a 35 offset in black.
https://www.americastire.com/buy-wheels/xo-luxury-helsinki
I followed the link, but only saw those wheels listed for a 114 bolt pattern, (not the 120 that is needed). You may want to look at the Tire Rack site for 19" wheels that fit the Passport, I recall investigating the 19" scenario as well, but did not find any wheels I liked. I just looked again and saw they have a big selection of 19" Wheels, many with an off set greater than 35mm and closer to the OEM size (which is 55mm if I recall correctly).

Also, several people here have gone (including myself) have gone with Black Rhino wheels, they only have 17", 18" and 20" wheels for the Passport, but they are VERY high quality wheels. Link: Truck Wheels, Truck Sport Custom Wheels, Truck Custom Wheels

There shouldn't be an issue with rubbing in this size and since it will be on pavement probably 95% of the time, I thought it would soften up the ride a little bit with a little bigger sidewall, but will still be ready to hit the trail if need be. I would love to hear your thoughts on this good or bad since I still have time to change my mind. Thank you in advance.
At 30" high, I reasonably sure there will not be any rubbing as well, but the problem I see, is that: If you are swapping out the OEM set up to get more sidewall (more tire/air space between the wheel and the road) going with 19" tires is not optimum, they are still pretty close to low profile tires and may not prevent the curb rash incidents that a 17" or 18" set up will provide.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to post you wheels here, whatever you end up with....!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Jay and welcome, great idea buying the PP, great idea swapping out the OEM tires/wheels, great idea going with the Continental Terrain Contact A/T's!

I followed the link, but only saw those wheels listed for a 114 bolt pattern, (not the 120 that is needed). You may want to look at the Tire Rack site for 19" wheels that fit the Passport, I recall investigating the 19" scenario as well, but did not find any wheels I liked. I just looked again and saw they have a big selection of 19" Wheels, many with an off set greater than 35mm and closer to the OEM size (which is 55mm if I recall correctly).

Also, several people here have gone (including myself) have gone with Black Rhino wheels, they only have 17", 18" and 20" wheels for the Passport, but they are VERY high quality wheels. Link: Truck Wheels, Truck Sport Custom Wheels, Truck Custom Wheels

At 30" high, I reasonably sure there will not be any rubbing as well, but the problem I see, is that: If you are swapping out the OEM set up to get more sidewall (more tire/air space between the wheel and the road) going with 19" tires is not optimum, they are still pretty close to low profile tires and may not prevent the curb rash incidents that a 17" or 18" set up will provide.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to post you wheels here, whatever you end up with....!
Thank you for your feedback, and yes still staying with a kinda low profile tire is not optimal for trails that was a concern of mine. But I was more concerned about staying with that brand of tire.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
287 Posts
I have to agree with Steven a 100% on this one. 19" wheels are only providing you with an additional 1/2" of side wall and that still puts your wheels in that curb chewing territory and the same for off road. Black Rhinos are some of the best after market wheels to choose from. And can't say enough for the Continental Terrain Contact A/T, I have them in 265/60/r18 and love them.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree with Steven a 100% on this one. 19" wheels are only providing you with an additional 1/2" of side wall and that still puts your wheels in that curb chewing territory and the same for off road. Black Rhinos are some of the best after market wheels to choose from. And can't say enough for the Continental Terrain Contact A/T, I have them in 265/60/r18 and love them.
My only concern with that size is rubbing, have you had any issues with rubbing on yours?

161 - 180 of 203 Posts