Honda Passport Forum banner

Portable Battery charger.

3333 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Dragon_Eyes
My wife asked me what I want for Father’s Day so I was looking at a NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box. Would that work with the Honda Passport battery? I don’t know if the Honda battery is a Standard 12 volt battery and if this would damage any electronics if for any reason my battery dies and I try to jump it. Thanks for any replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
The Passport has a AGM battery and those packs work great. The lithium batteries hold a charge for a long time and a nice and compact. AGM batteries only require a battery charger that is rated for them.

Reactions: 1
Thanks, than it will work fine with the passport?
Thanks, than it will work fine with the passport?
Yup and much safer then jumper cables. I have a different brand and it works great. I even purchased one for my sister who is not mechanically inclined and she has used it successfully and safely many times helping out her girlfriends.
I have a NOCO GB40 I think it is. Only car I used it on so far was a 6cyl Mercedes (twice), and it kicked it off both times instantly with ease. I just charge it every 2-3 months.
The NOCO is the real deal. We use them in the shop to jump cars all the time. I own one myself.

The 2000A is a good choice for the AGM batteries. When they discharge it takes a lot of amperage to kick the starter over again. The gear reduction starters with idle-stop need more to operate.

I live in Minnesota and the 2000A is enough to jump cars at 6am on a January morning when it's -20F outside.
The NOCO is the real deal. We use them in the shop to jump cars all the time. I own one myself.

The 2000A is a good choice for the AGM batteries. When they discharge it takes a lot of amperage to kick the starter over again. The gear reduction starters with idle-stop need more to operate.

I live in Minnesota and the 2000A is enough to jump cars at 6am on a January morning when it's -20F outside.
TY 4 the tip.

I must ask though, what NOCO model do you recommend as this is what I ran into on Amazon.com just right now:

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box

*This does not fit your 2020 Honda Passport

Hmmmm...

NOTE: I have zero intention of patronizing Amazon, now or ever (take a hike, Bezos). I was simply using their site for research per your referral.
See less See more
Same thing happened to me. Amazon doesn’t think this is compatible with the Passport. I have also seen that if you Have to change the battery for some reason, their is a memory chip you have to plug into your PC port so it doesn’t mess the computer up. I think they run on Amazon for 12 bucks.
TY 4 the tip.

I must ask though, what NOCO model do you recommend as this is what I ran into on Amazon.com just right now:

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box
That is very similar to what we have. The only main difference between NOCO models is the amperage. I like these because they are built in idiot proof. If you hook it up backwards it will not operate. They are safer because they do not operate as a hot connection like some jumpers do. It won't power out to the battery until 1) it's hooked up correctly and 2) it senses a baseline voltage that is safe to boost. This prevents any sparks which is preferable because lead acid batteries can off-gas hydrogen and go boom. Easy enough for any wife to use too.

A couple tips:
-Even though it would be most convenient to carry this IN the car the temperature swings are too much. Keep it cool and dry somewhere.

-If it's not getting used all the time just let the charge wear down to somewhere between 20 and 80% for storage. Keeping it at 100% is going to affect the long term lifespan being a lithium battery. I charge mine once in the summer when its not being used and as much as needed in the winter.

-They sell carry cases for these if you don't want it laying around somewhere. Very handy for storage.

-These things are great if you go camping and need to charge your phone or power other USB devices.
See less See more
Same thing happened to me. Amazon doesn’t think this is compatible with the Passport. I have also seen that if you Have to change the battery for some reason, their is a memory chip you have to plug into your PC port so it doesn’t mess the computer up. I think they run on Amazon for 12 bucks.
Memory Chip link or Honda OEM part number please. TY...✌🏼
That is very similar to what we have. The only main difference between NOCO models is the amperage. I like these because they are built in idiot proof. If you hook it up backwards it will not operate. They are safer because they do not operate as a hot connection like some jumpers do. It won't power out to the battery until 1) it's hooked up correctly and 2) it senses a baseline voltage that is safe to boost. This prevents any sparks which is preferable because lead acid batteries can off-gas hydrogen and go boom. Easy enough for any wife to use too.

A couple tips:
-Even though it would be most convenient to carry this IN the car the temperature swings are too much. Keep it cool and dry somewhere.

-If it's not getting used all the time just let the charge wear down to somewhere between 20 and 80% for storage. Keeping it at 100% is going to affect the long term lifespan being a lithium battery. I charge mine once in the summer when its not being used and as much as needed in the winter.

-They sell carry cases for these if you don't want it laying around somewhere. Very handy for storage.

-These things are great if you go camping and need to charge your phone or power other USB devices.
Back to my original and primary question, WHAT MODEL NUMBER DO YOU HAVE?
Starting to feel this place is useless for focused AND timely feedback. Took me less than a month to figure this place out. (sigh)
Starting to feel this place is useless for focused AND timely feedback.
Did you send him a PM (conversation)?
Perhaps he/she simply has not revisited this thread to read your posts requesting additional info.
Reactions: 2
My bad. I only check in here as time allows. This thing called life calls often.

I have the GB40 for my personal usage. We use a GB150 at the shop.

@exOC_Kook
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.