Honda Passport Forum banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Joining the club! Only 130 miles in, backing out turning right... Clunk!!...Seeing everyone's posts I won't assume that it will just go away on its own. Not what you would expect from a brand new car.
I guess I'll need to take some time off of work and get over to the dealer. :-/

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,095 Posts
Joining the club! Only 130 miles in, backing out turning right... Clunk!!...Seeing everyone's posts I won't assume that it will just go away on its own. Not what you would expect from a brand new car.
Welcome! I wouldn’t waste your day off at the dealer unless it clunks every time. They need to be able to duplicate the issue to find the issue. My honda shop had mine for 10 days, several of they took the wheels, brakes and calipers off and saw nothing. The dealer didn’t even care to look at it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome! I wouldn’t waste your day off at the dealer unless it clunks every time. They need to be able to duplicate the issue to find the issue. My honda shop had mine for 10 days, several of they took the wheels, brakes and calipers off and saw nothing. The dealer didn’t even care to look at it.
That's definitely good advice. Thanks Prodgirl. I don't have high hopes from my dealership either, I have 1 "We owe you" ticket from them that I was promised they would call me first thing Monday to schedule, haven't heard a word from them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jermboy777 has an excellent visual that anyone with this issue can print out and give the service dept manager

·
Registered
32 Posts
I must be an anomaly but I noticed the clunk the second day I had it. Every time I left my driveway backing out to the left. Now I have 11000 miles and it doesn't do it anymore.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have it also but only happens after sitting for a while. I wonder if it is a stiff spring? I once had a similar clunk on a Toyota I lifted and put stiffer springs on. The clunk went away eventually. I'm right at 1200 miles and it started pretty much at the 8 miles it had when I picked it up.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I have it also but only happens after sitting for a while. I wonder if it is a stiff spring? I once had a similar clunk on a Toyota I lifted and put stiffer springs on. The clunk went away eventually. I'm right at 1200 miles and it started pretty much at the 8 miles it had when I picked it up.
Could be possible, spring tension is so tight it’s putting the bearing in a bind after sitting for extended periods.. however when they replaced my front strut assemblies, they did all of the parts EXCEPT the springs, and my popping went away.

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
Clunk! ?‍♀

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
Interesting response from a Honda mechanic on a Passport FB forum about our clunk:

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. This is a normal occurrence and it happens for me EVERY time. We had a complaint of this by a woman on a new Passport and I have gotten it to duplicate on 2016+ Pilots, 2017+ Ridgelines, and 2018+ Odysseys. And of course Passports. As these 4 vehicles share the same platform, (all are identical underneath except minor differences on the Odyssey) they all produce this low “clunk” noise when first backing out or pulling forward from a parking space and turning the wheel. I’ve attributed it to the electric brake booster building up its initial pressure as this noise always happens after the vehicle has been sitting for a while. Since it is a normal characteristic on this chassis, there is no need for concern. Honda has yet to provide us any information on this but as I stated above there’s nothing wrong. No need to worry!

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
I've not experienced this Clunk! with TWO of his examples (19 PP / 20 Ody). Does that indicate both of my brake boosters are defective?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Interesting response from a Honda mechanic on a Passport FB forum about our clunk:

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. This is a normal occurrence and it happens for me EVERY time. We had a complaint of this by a woman on a new Passport and I have gotten it to duplicate on 2016+ Pilots, 2017+ Ridgelines, and 2018+ Odysseys. And of course Passports. As these 4 vehicles share the same platform, (all are identical underneath except minor differences on the Odyssey) they all produce this low “clunk” noise when first backing out or pulling forward from a parking space and turning the wheel. I’ve attributed it to the electric brake booster building up its initial pressure as this noise always happens after the vehicle has been sitting for a while. Since it is a normal characteristic on this chassis, there is no need for concern. Honda has yet to provide us any information on this but as I stated above there’s nothing wrong. No need to worry!
100% false. The fact that they imply that the brake booster is even part of the chassis is hilarious.

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
100% false. The fact that they imply that the brake booster is even part of the chassis is hilarious.
hence why I haven’t taken my vehicles to dealerships in years...?

Reactions: Jermboy777

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I’m assuming he is confused and is actually talking about the light clunk emitted from the ABS module every time you initially take off and reach about 6mph, which is normal. That has nothing to do with the steering clunk that only SOME people are experiencing.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite
55 Posts
Yes I have this exact same noise when backing out of my drive way and turning the wheel right. It happens the moment my front wheels come down from the curb. Front left tire to be exact. Only seems to happen the first reverse of the day. I went back and fourth this am trying to replicate it but only seems to happen after the car has been sitting a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took the passport to the dealership and they confirmed the popping noise and said it was the FL strut mount. They replaced the mount and we didn’t hear the noise for a short time but we started hearing the noise again it was just more subtle. Today backing out of a parking spot while turning the steering wheel to the right it made the same loud popping sound again that it was doing prior to the “repair.” Going to have to take it back to the dealership again soon...(sigh)

I still take it no one else is experiencing this popping/clunking noise when turning and backing??
I have experienced this with my 2020 Touring AWD, only once though so far. The wheel was turned to the left as I was backing into my driveway - it scared me when I heard it. I am also experiencing problems with vibrations in the steering. I had it to the dealership the week after I bought it - they put new rotors on. I've drove it for about 2 weeks now and the steering wheel is still vibrating. Taking it back this evening to the dealership. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone else noticed a popping noise when reversing and turning the steering wheel like when backing out of a parking spot? It’s intermittent but I’ve heard it 3-4 times the past few weeks.
I bought a 2020 passport about a month and a half ago and just a few miles in I started having the exact same loud pop especially like when backing out of a parking place and then turning to straighten back out things like that they first thought it was a strut bearing and changed that and then just called me today now that they’ve had it three days and said that the strut bearing did not fix the problem so they’re searching for something else apparently they have no answers for it

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
I bought a 2020 passport about a month and a half ago and just a few miles in I started having the exact same loud pop especially like when backing out of a parking place and then turning to straighten back out things like that they first thought it was a strut bearing and changed that and then just called me today now that they’ve had it three days and said that the strut bearing did not fix the problem so they’re searching for something else apparently they have no answers for it
I had my clunk for almost 1 year, my shop did some adjustments on the front end in February and no issues since.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Yeah it’s definitely the strut bearing that’s popping but I think that something in the suspension system just isn’t sitting properly so it’s putting the bearing in a bind which causes the pop. Especially after the vehicle has sat for an extended period of time to where the weight of the vehicle settles the suspension.
On mine they ended up replacing the strut assemblies not just the bearing and I did get ONE pop a couple days after that but everything seemed to settle in properly with the NEW new parts and have yet to have a pop in over a year.

Hopefully they can get it squared away for you, if not you may just take it back and put some miles on it to see if the pop stops.

Good luck keep us posted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also get this popping noise on my 2020 PP when turning all the way left as I back down my driveway in the morning. I have not heard it any other time.
My PP has about 500 miles on it and has been doing this since the 250 mile marker.
I am also finding it hard to reproduce once I leave the driveway.
I will likely need to take this in to the dealer and get it fixed before I install the new wheels I ordered- I am pretty sure they will blame the popping on the new wheels otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes mine does it most often when backing up and turning the wheel real sharp and then straightening back up once I’ve done that it doesn’t do it just in normal regular driving more just again backing up and pulling out The dealer first thought that it was a strut bearing which they changed and it did not fix it so now they are thinking it could be the sub frame which they have ordered and will be installing either Friday or Monday

161 - 180 of 215 Posts