Honda Passport Forum banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2020 Touring here - also a member of the “clunk club” - seems to happen on both driver and passenger sides when turning wheel in opposite direction at low speed. Certainly annoying - but my question is whether or not it is harmful and causing longer term damage or safety issues. Anyone know the answer?

You would think given that it seems to be an issue across several models there would be a TSB on it by now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Different car but same issue ... 2008 Honda Odyssey ... while Backing up and then moving forward, POP, from left front side ... I previously got new KYB struts, using old spring (no rust appears in good condition), and new Honda struts components ... sound went away for a few months and now it’s back ... I have about 260,000 miles (Got van at 90,000) ... new axles from Advance auto parts about 20,000 miles ago, new control arms, new sway bar links, sway bar bushings, ... now when I accelerate from a stop, I get a creeking sound from left side, but if I open the door, the creeking sound seems to go away ... I can‘t believe my cv axle would go bad again (it’s be my third time time replacing) ... I’m thinking maybe I have a weak spring or maybe some Type of misalignment when the frames were welding in the factory (which would make it financially Impossible for Honda to issue a recall) ... anyways, I order a KYB upper mount and bearing and will get a new Honda coil spring ... hoping to fix the problem ... it’s my Uber vehicle for making extra side money ... but I must say ...I’m amazed how fast this van can take a curve or cruise at xxx ...I would get a 2021, but Uber pay doesn’t justify driving people around in a new car ... you can’t pay economy fares and expect a first-class ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back with an update. It's been a few months since I had my knuckle replaced and I have not heard the popping sound since the repair was made.

I will say that after the repair I had to take the vehicle back because it was making a loud squealing sound. Turns out the technician did not reinstall the break shield correct. It was a 20 minutes fix, but my auto idle no longer works the same. My vehicle only turns the engine off like 50% of the time. I'll be having them check that out when I go in for my first oil change.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite White
54 Posts
I just heard a pop noise when turning wheel all the way to the left and backing into a driveway. Is this a recall item? I am going to keep an eye on it and if it continues, I will bring it in. My car only has 400 miles on it and would rather it not be touched unless necessary.

For those that have had the knuckle replaced, did they do both or just the side you told them about?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,095 Posts
I just heard a pop noise when turning wheel all the way to the left and backing into a driveway. Is this a recall item? I am going to keep an eye on it and if it continues, I will bring it in. My car only has 400 miles on it and would rather it not be touched unless necessary.

For those that have had the knuckle replaced, did they do both or just the side you told them about?
No recall.

Latest I heard is the dealers just try various ways to fix the issue, but it usually returns, some seem to work, some don’t. If you get bored, Scroll thru the 11 pages here. There is a few other discussions under “clunk”

My issue hasn’t repeated since it got fixed in February. My shop just did several adjustments for a minor service.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
10 Posts
Experiencing the same thing on a 2019 Touring too. I thought I had ran over a hard-pack-stone of snow, looked out and nothing. I was reversing out with the steering wheel all the way to the right.

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
Experiencing the same thing on a 2019 Touring too. I thought I had ran over a hard-pack-stone of snow, looked out and nothing. I was reversing out with the steering wheel all the way to the right.
[/QUOTE

Congratulations! You are a member of ‘The Clunk Club’ - it’s a small and special group!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I believe that your issue is the effect of tire scrubbing/slipping at full lock. This issue is most pronounced when the tire and road surface are cold. If this is the case, it is not a problem.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite White
54 Posts
Just heard the noise again, but this time I was turning my wheel the other way, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 to lock. My wife even noticed and made a comment and she never notices anything with cars. I think I’m going to bring it in, as I don’t want it to cause any long term damage. I just cringe every time I think about having to take the car in to the dealer, but I guess there’s no way around it.

·
Registered
2021 passport sport 2wd
13 Posts
Not sure if it’s the same sound , mine literally has less than 400 miles on it , this happens in reverse or drive but the first time you start the car after it’s been sitting for an hour or so and initiate the first turn , it makes a faint knocking sound , sounds like it comes from the passenger side front wheel ...did this in the test drive and salesman said something sort of stupid to distract me from it , it doesn’t sound serious , but it’s bothersome , I traded in a car that didn’t do this and this one does.

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
Not sure if it’s the same sound , mine literally has less than 400 miles on it , this happens in reverse or drive but the first time you start the car after it’s been sitting for an hour or so and initiate the first turn , it makes a faint knocking sound , sounds like it comes from the passenger side front wheel ...did this in the test drive and salesman said something sort of stupid to distract me from it , it doesn’t sound serious , but it’s bothersome , I traded in a car that didn’t do this and this one does.
It sounds like you might also be a member of The Clunk Club.
Check out some of these threads, there doesn’t seem to have a true fix.
Mine was fixed in February 2020 during a minor service and my shop just adjusted and tightened everything down.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having the same issue, first it was alternating sided, then just when turning right, They first tried to replace the drivers side strut and have not been able to get it to replicate. I have taken the service manager with me 2 separate times and heard it. The bad thing is the mechanic has "searched" all the service bulletins and has not found anything relating to the sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else noticed a popping noise when reversing and turning the steering wheel like when backing out of a parking spot? It’s intermittent but I’ve heard it 3-4 times the past few weeks.
For what it’s worth we experienced this same issue with my wife’s 2019 PP. After two trips to the dealer we finally resolved the problem. The dealer found the rack and pinion was hitting or catching on something, causing the popping noise while turning the wheel. They replaced rack and pinion and the noise is gone and the steering itself feels much more solid, like it should have felt from the start. I’m not saying this will solve everyone’s problem, but it did seem to resolve our particular problem.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts