Honda Passport Forum banner

181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
There is a cross member behind the front wheels that are secured by 2 bolts at the front of the cross member and 2 bolts at the rear of the cross member. Check that these four bolts are tight. Reference the 7th photo of this thread for the cross member and 2 bolts at the front. If loose, it is a potential source of mechanical noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
dude for one thing I’m not a mechanic so I wouldn’t have a clue what you’re talking about or what to check even if you show me a picture and for another I just bought the car and it has less than 2000 miles on it I’m not getting up under it and repairing it but it seems to me with the dealer having had it on two separate occasions for a total of about five days that’s some thing they would have looked at or known or noticed

·
Registered
595 Posts
dude for one thing I’m not a mechanic so I wouldn’t have a clue what you’re talking about or what to check even if you show me a picture and for another I just bought the car and it has less than 2000 miles on it I’m not getting up under it and repairing it but it seems to me with the dealer having had it on two separate occasions for a total of about five days that’s some thing they would have looked at or known or noticed
One can only hope to have faith in the mechanics or dealership that they have checked the cross member or fixed the problem. Otherwise, take matters into your own hands. Find a friend or neighbor that can check for you? It only requires a ratchet and some metric sockets and a few minutes of getting dirty on your back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One can only hope to have faith in the mechanics or dealership that they have checked the cross member or fixed the problem. Otherwise, take matters into your own hands. Find a friend or neighbor that can check for you? It only requires a ratchet and some metric sockets and a few minutes of getting dirty on your back.
im Not repairing We’re having a neighbor repair a vehicle that is brand new and under warranty that’s why I bought a brand new vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just heard the same popping/clunk nose on my brand new 2020 Passport EX-L. Has less than 150 miles on it. Only happens when I'm turning the steering wheel to the right and backing into a somewhat tight spot.

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

I'll be taking it into the dealer at the weeks end and will report back if they find a fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well they changed the strut bearing that they originally thought might be the problem and that wasn’t the problem so on mine they have ordered a sub frame that they think might be an issue and it should be in anytime and then they’ll change that but yes very annoying for a brand new car If your dealer finds something different please post

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok....just dropped my vehicle off. My guess is the technician was able to replicate the issue as they are going to replace the left Knuckle and the Bushing/Bearing (forget which "B"). I'll be picking up the vehicle tomorrow and hopefully the issue will have resolved. Fingers crossed.

I'll be sure to update my post after a week or two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
finally after changing a strut bearing that did not fix it then replacing the subframe and that not fixing it they replaced the knuckle on front passenger side and that seems to have worked

·
Registered
7 Posts
The knuckle is on back-order. My vehicle won't be able to be repaired for about 2 weeks. Not a problem as I was assured it isn't a safety issue. The Service Rep mentioned that the back-order is due to so many other Honda's needing this repair.

Very interesting.

I still love and enjoy my Passport (only 2 weeks old) and can't wait to get this issue resolved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well that does seem to have fixed the problem with mine And very odd that that is a common issue and the part is back ordered because again they put a new sub frame on mine thinking that was it And at the end of the day they realized that wasnt it and they had no clue of what to try next and after I went up there and raised hell with the sales manager that night they called me the very next morning and said it would be done by lunchtime that they had the fix so a lot of that doesn’t jive if it’s that common problem because they also had the part to fix it but either way at least I think they know what it is now and yours will be fixed just as mine was

·
Registered
2 Posts
YES I called the Dealer and they said they have never heard of complaints!! I just bought my 2020 Passport Elite 6 weeks ago and makes this clunking noise when I put it in reverse!! Anyone know what it is!?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,095 Posts
There is no clear diagnosis on the clunk, only many speculations, including my own.
Search ‘clunk’ and read thru all the posts.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
YES I called the Dealer and they said they have never heard of complaints!! I just bought my 2020 Passport Elite 6 weeks ago and makes this clunking noise when I put it in reverse!! Anyone know what it is!?
So are you saying you’re getting a clunk noise JUST by putting the transmission in reverse; not by actually moving the vehicle and turning the steering wheel?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So are you saying you’re getting a clunk noise JUST by putting the transmission in reverse; not by actually moving the vehicle and turning the steering wheel?
I seriously don't know if I'm turning the steering wheel or not...I'll have to do it and see. Sorry not the best answer...I just know we just bought it and I reported a clunking noise when I put it in reverse...not sure if I'm moving the wheel or not!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought 2020 passport 2 weeks ago. Noticed this clunk/pop sound when backing into garage doing a hard turn to right. Sounded like it came from left side strut / shock area. Just made a service appointment for Saturday. Will advise of the service manager of knuckle issue.... hopefully he is familiar with. Thanks for the info. Ticked to have to do a car repair on brand new vehicle even if it is under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,095 Posts
Just bought 2020 passport 2 weeks ago. Noticed this clunk/pop sound when backing into garage doing a hard turn to right. Sounded like it came from left side strut / shock area. Just made a service appointment for Saturday. Will advise of the service manager of knuckle issue.... hopefully he is familiar with. Thanks for the info. Ticked to have to do a car repair on brand new vehicle even if it is under warranty.
Welcome to the club!
Don’t be too surprised if they can’t replicate or fix the issue.
The good news, is no one has lost the front end while driving (or parking) yet...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I’m sure you all have read my previous posts but yes the knuckle being replaced has solved my issue

181 - 200 of 215 Posts