Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed a popping noise when reversing and turning the steering wheel like when backing out of a parking spot? It’s intermittent but I’ve heard it 3-4 times the past few weeks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If it is at low speed and a tight turn, likely normal. Pay attention to the situation next time. It happens because of tire scrubbing on the pavement surface. Search for "Ackermann Steering"

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
My 2006 Pilot makes a nasty grinding sound when turning if the wheel is 100% turned... but it's an old car. Not sure what the problem might be on a brand new Passport. Good luck!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s definitely not a normal noise. It doesn’t do it all the time but it does only do it when backing out and turning the steering wheel at the same time. No noise at all then all of a sudden a loud clunk/pop noise. You feel it travel through the body and steering wheel.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right!? Not even at 1,000 miles.. It sounds like a noise a bad cv joint or strut mount would make. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think I'm getting similar noise. But mine is more of a sort of low grunt, or groan when I reverse into my driveway as I back into my garage. I was thinking maybe I'm almost at full wheel lock at times backing up and this might cause that. That's the only time I've heard this.

So mine too is sometimes when i'm reversing with wheels turned. I don't hear it when backing out of grocery store spaces. But I don't usually turn the wheel alot when backing out then. Pls keep us posted.

I may leave mine over nite next week at dealership, as they requested, to install the Side Lighting and for my full detail I did not get on purchase day. I may ask them to look into this while its' there.......hoping they won't say " it's normal". Grrrr...... :cautious:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the passport to the dealership and they confirmed the popping noise and said it was the FL strut mount. They replaced the mount and we didn’t hear the noise for a short time but we started hearing the noise again it was just more subtle. Today backing out of a parking spot while turning the steering wheel to the right it made the same loud popping sound again that it was doing prior to the “repair.” Going to have to take it back to the dealership again soon...(sigh)

I still take it no one else is experiencing this popping/clunking noise when turning and backing??

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not yet. Going back to dealer this Tuesday. Not sure I'm hearing the same exact noise. But I'll ask about it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Took the passport to the dealership and they confirmed the popping noise and said it was the FL strut mount. They replaced the mount and we didn’t hear the noise for a short time but we started hearing the noise again it was just more subtle. Today backing out of a parking spot while turning the steering wheel to the right it made the same loud popping sound again that it was doing prior to the “repair.” Going to have to take it back to the dealership again soon...(sigh)

I still take it no one else is experiencing this popping/clunking noise when turning and backing??
I am getting the same sort of noise and I only have 700 miles on .y new Touring. Similar noise my 02 Explorer with 208 miles makes under the same conditions. Going to try to be sure to be able to replicate then take it in.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah mine is a touring model as well, I wouldn’t think that would matter but something to keep track of in case it seems to be happening on touring trims only.. Mine would do it intermittently but I can get it to do it almost every time if I have the car parked in a parking spot with the wheels pointed straight, and the car has to sit for a few minutes parked that way, then I will back out and turn the steering wheel to the right (doesn’t do it turning left on mine) and as I’m turning right I guess it starts binding and then pop or clunks through the bind. You can try that method and see if you can duplicate it but yours could be popping on the other side maybe..

I kinda want them to replace the whole strut and mount and the steering knuckle in case the strut or knuckle is bent. I’ll keep posting updates.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tried to replicate it at dog park parking lot this morning. I backed up from left n right, full wheel lock, flat surface. Didn't do it.
Think I've only heard it, low groan, a couple times, while backing into my driveway, slight incline. I think, not quite same sound some are describing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that does sound like a different noise, curious as to what that might be.. mines been back at the dealership since midday Friday and I have yet to hear back from them with any updates.. pretty frustrating

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update: I finally heard back from the dealership yesterday ( I dropped the car off Friday) they were unable to duplicate the noise. I asked if they would like me to come up and duplicate it for them and that said that would be great. I Explained exactly how I would duplicate it by driving around the building while steering back and forth and that I would turn right (not left) into a parking spot and we would sit for about 5 minutes, then I would back out of the spot and turn the steering wheel right (not left). I did all of these steps exactly as I explained and sure enough “pop!”
They are going to keep diagnosing to find the cause.. hopefully they can quick because we feel like the passport has been at Honda more than with us... @1,000 miles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Received word from the dealership that they are going to order complete front strut assemblies for both sides to see if that addresses the issue. I hope so.. being that it seems like not very many people are experiencing the noise I’m hearing there’s got to be some way to fix it. I have read about some people with Ridgelines experiencing a similar issue to mine. Anyways we’ll see how it goes from here!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s definitely not a normal noise. It doesn’t do it all the time but it does only do it when backing out and turning the steering wheel at the same time. No noise at all then all of a sudden a loud clunk/pop noise. You feel it travel through the body and steering wheel.

Yes!l ours has been in the shop 3x for this and is currently in the shop day 4 of this week. They have put us in a rental vehicle . The Dealership called today and they are still working on it and have replaced multiple parts but it's still making the noise. Started at 2k miles. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Struts , a joint, 2 weeks ago they pulled one in from the sales lot and started pulling suspension parts and swapping parts but still no fix. They put it back together so we could take it on vacation we dropped it back off on Tuesday morning this week. This afternoon they called and had replaced a knuckle but still has not resolved the problem. 2019 Passport EX-L FWD. They have extended our rental vehicle it was due back Friday so I'm guessing that it will not be fixed this week. The service advisor said today they have no idea and are working with a Honda engineer, don't know if that statement is true or not. I'm read to ask for a Honda buy back. My contact information is below.

Britt Hunsucker
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 152 Posts