Honda Passport Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
To that I would counter that most trolls don't hang around very long.
To answer those who may question his motive I would point out that he's now at 6 months, 259 posts AND a paid subscriber.

All that's left is for him to actually purchase his dream PP machine - so that he may complain (or BRAG).

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
336 Posts
Rascal, I’m comparing the PP to the new Highlander, and the Pilot. Don’t really need the 3rd row, which is why I like the PP. I test drove the PP already and really like it. The Highlander’s downside is that the driver’s seat is not height adjustable. My wife is 4’ 10”, and will occasionally need to drive my car, so that’s a problem. The Pilot is nice, but my wife would rather have the shorter PP, and I like the PP for the sportier look. I don’t like Nissan or the other competitors, especially Chevy.

So, it will be the PP. As to when, when I feel a bit better, and when I feel Honda has a better grip on the current issues.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm kinda like Beachbum07.......no PP (yet). I'm here to learn more about the PP......more than any test drive will tell me. So far, I've learned a lot here.....including the fact that this formum, just like other car forums, has an over abundance of testosterone. LOL

Bought a '17 CRV almost 3 years ago and it has been flawless. When we were looking 3 years ago we decided to look at the Forester, CX-5, RAV4 and CRV......the top 4 rated compact SUVs listed in CR at the time. Test drove all 4 and all 4 were very nice/4 winners. After several more weeks of reading/research, decided on the CRV due to 2 numbers in the CR annual automotive issue. The CRV (turblow) was slightly quicker 0-60 and had slightly better mpg than the other 3, according to CRs test results. I have no reason to believe CRs published numbers are bogus or their palms are greased.

CR also shows 8 prior model years of reliability/trouble spots based on owner surveys . The 8 prior years for all Honda models generally shows much better than average reliability......can't imagine the PP reliability being anything other than much better than average.

Nobody makes 100% perfect cars. Car manufacturers are outsourcing so many various components used in their cars these days, such as infotainment systems. That may have something to do with quality control of certain components.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
In my mind the Passport and the Pilot are essentially the same vehicle.
Similar to choosing a 2 door / 4 door Accord.

AND there are several competitors who provide equally fine options to the PP.
It's nice to have choices.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One of the things I like about the PP is the dimensions....especially the width. Seems like most other mid-sized SUVs are longer with 3 rows. We don't need more length/rows but the PPs extra width is nice......if you know what I mean.:giggle:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I must be a lucky one so far no infotainment issues what so ever.
it works better then my 2014 Si infotainment did.(sometime bluetooth wouldnt connect.)
I have a canadian sport so not as fancy as the touring but works better then expected.
wish I could say the same about honda non-sensing technology. BRAKE! BRAKE! wait im the only one on the road...lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most likely you are one of thousands of PP owners with a infotainment system that works fine. Probably only a small handful of unlucky owners have a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
In my mind the Passport and the Pilot are essentially the same vehicle.
Similar to choosing a 2 door / 4 door Accord.
My thoughts were that the Pilot and the Odyssey are essentially the same vehicle, both 3 row'rs with limited ground clearance...

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
My thoughts were that the Pilot and the Odyssey are essentially the same vehicle, both 3 row'rs with limited ground clearance...
With the new body style, my wife calls the Pilot the Odyssey Lite. Looks like Honda chopped some of the body out of the middle of the Odyssey and exchanged the back passenger sliders for hinged doors.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
With the new body style, my wife calls the Pilot the Odyssey Lite. Looks like Honda chopped some of the body out of the middle of the Odyssey and exchanged the back passenger sliders for hinged doors.
I call the Pilot and the Highlander "Buck-Toothed Vans"...

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
I call the Pilot and the Highlander "Buck-Toothed Vans"...
How Rude. Not about the Highlander, Its sister is still its mother. The pilot is a nice vehicle, but not sexy. The Passport on the other hand is Sexy.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Some big differences include sliding rear doors (vs standard swingers).
The Pilot shifts w/ a 9 speed while the Ody uses a 10 speed.
The Ody employs an elec. parking brake vs the Pilots foot brake.
Ody is a FWD vs optional AWD on the Pilot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The PP is a sporty and tough looking vehicle. Especially, in the sexiest color, Lunar Silver.

While I’m here, what specifically with the infotainment system is all this fuss about?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Q:
In defense of Korean autos - back around 2014 I was looking for an older economy daily driver. I simply could not purchase my choice of an older CRV/ Element (all used sales were frozen due to the airbag dilemma). Simultaneously Consumer Reports highly recommended the older Sante Fe's.

I traded my then retired V10 Ford truck for a 92K mile 2008 Sante Fe; besides gas (and windshield wipers) it never cost me a dime - the selling Nissan dealer gave free oil and filters (for life) with their used auto sales. Had it not been stolen / wrecked I'd likely still be happily using it.

Other than the paint peeling on its' hood I'd give it an excellent rating. While I prefer my more equipped PP - this Hyundai was an equal in quality.
You want the real deal... while improving, the SK are still pretty much a first aid kit on call... :) <not =

·
Registered
5 Posts
My issue with consumer reports is people are not going out of their way to say they like their vehicle. People that are dissatisfied are more likely to voice their concerns.

With that being said, the infotainment system is a major issue on this vehicle. I don’t have the issue, but I was aware of it when making my purchase.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
336 Posts
My issue with consumer reports is people are not going out of their way to say they like their vehicle.
Actually, the annual surveys cover owner satisfaction quite a bit. So positive and negative feedback is collected.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Regardless of your opinion on Consumer Reports, or any paid rag reviewing cars, lots of folks put stock in their findings. What I'm confused about, is how the Passport, which is basically identical to the Pilot short a few inches, is predicted to have awful reliability, but the Pilot is a top rated vehicle? Anyone have any insight?
Consumer reports depends upon information outside of their hands on investigation. had several problems early on my 19. Since I am satisfied with the vehicle. Point A to B in a spacious comfortable cabin. Safety features rival nother Hondas and other manufacturers. For me Honda has stood behind the product as expected. Cannot ask for more or complain. CR does not always report accurately. Something that they monitor others for. Very interesting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
....get the Sport model! Simple radio! Put your music on a jump drive! Plug in your phone! Get a 7" Garmin you can replace whenever you want! Granted heated seats would have been nice but i can live without the glossy fingerprinted dusty un-responsive panels in the higher end models. In Fact, don't know what I would have done if they didn't offer the basic sound system? It would have been a big deal breaker for me! The 20" black wheels that now sit in my garage unused almost nixed the purchase of my new Passport Sport. I'll sell 'em someday!!??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Plus, the sampling sizes for the Pilot and Passport are much different. Many more Pilots are sold than Passports. Unfortunately, a lot of Passports have experienced several problems, mainly the infotainment system, AC, and lackluster active safety features. So, the low number of Passport sales compared to the number of complaints from owners has resulted in a lower reliability rating. I believe CR reported the Passport as being number 21 in reliability.
Pilots and Odyssey all have same issue with infotainment system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
....get the Sport model! Simple radio! Put your music on a jump drive! Plug in your phone! Get a 7" Garmin you can replace whenever you want! Granted heated seats would have been nice but i can live without the glossy fingerprinted dusty un-responsive panels in the higher end models. In Fact, don't know what I would have done if they didn't offer the basic sound system? It would have been a big deal breaker for me! The 20" black wheels that now sit in my garage unused almost nixed the purchase of my new Passport Sport. I'll sell 'em someday!!??
AS YOU
If one is utility based as you seem then one must agree AWD has its place. Opportunity to pull
SEEM
I’m hol

I'm holding off on my PP purchase until the infotainment fix is released. I don’t have the time to jerk around with multiple dealership visits for repair attempts. Plus, I don’t like the dashboard being messed with if it’s not necessary. That’s a sure way to introduce squeaks and rattles down the road. I don’t like “mechanics” monkey fisting around inside my vehicles, especially a new vehicle!
I purchased in May. Problems in June and July with the system. Honda was able in two visits to fix the problems.. Are you saying this is current or you are stuck warp? It is difficult to understand HONDA ignoring the problem this far out.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts