Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of your opinion on Consumer Reports, or any paid rag reviewing cars, lots of folks put stock in their findings. What I'm confused about, is how the Passport, which is basically identical to the Pilot short a few inches, is predicted to have awful reliability, but the Pilot is a top rated vehicle? Anyone have any insight?

·
Banned
2020 Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
358 Posts
S.W.A.G. Stupid Wild @$$ Guess. Based on the old adage is never by a first year model because there will be problems.

Consumer reports advises that there is a chance of body separation in a crash and points to a NTSB recall. What they don't mention it that it affects Ten, yes that is right TEN total Pilots and Passports. Of those 10, 9 are Pilots and 1 is a Passport.

Repair Pal is honest and states on their site there is no reliability rating for the Passport

Car and Driver, people that actually put their hands on the vehicle states, "Honda's mid-size SUV has excelled as a reliable long-haul traveler."

I wouldn't set to much stock in any review of the Passport at this point as it is only in it's second year of production.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
319 Posts
Plus, the sampling sizes for the Pilot and Passport are much different. Many more Pilots are sold than Passports. Unfortunately, a lot of Passports have experienced several problems, mainly the infotainment system, AC, and lackluster active safety features. So, the low number of Passport sales compared to the number of complaints from owners has resulted in a lower reliability rating. I believe CR reported the Passport as being number 21 in reliability.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I’m hol
A friend of mine did not buy the Passport because of CR.
I'm holding off on my PP purchase until the infotainment fix is released. I don’t have the time to jerk around with multiple dealership visits for repair attempts. Plus, I don’t like the dashboard being messed with if it’s not necessary. That’s a sure way to introduce squeaks and rattles down the road. I don’t like “mechanics” monkey fisting around inside my vehicles, especially a new vehicle!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport - Touring - AWD
4 Posts
I don’t find CR to be very helpful in making purchasing decisions anymore. We bought a new 2015 Pilot when it was not recommended by CR. Now in their used cars it’s highly recommended. Go figure. I also purchased a Mercedes diesel a while back and CR had it on the bottom. Best car I ever owned. No issues at all! I just dumped a highly rated by CR 2016 Subaru Outback. Worst car I’ve owned in a long time. Exhaust manifold cracked and battery failed three times during ownership. Seats were uncomfortable, noisy, didn’t hold the road in wind, slower than any vehicle I’ve ever driven. I don’t trust CR to give very good advice. I’m in a 2019 PP Touring now. LOVE IT! Comparable to the 2009 MB M Class I spoke of earlier. Not sure about the credibility of the person reviewing the vehicle. Doesn't match my opinion or the other dozen or so people who review cars on Youtube. The PP CR review sure sounds like they want Honda to fail. Someone must be in their pockets. Cmon CR you can do better.

·
Banned
358 Posts
Well look at the name. Consumer Report. They are going by what they see from consumers. Take a look at the threads in this form, or any forum for that matter. How many "I love my new Passport" threads are then and how many threads are discussing some issue or other? People are far more likely to bitch about an issue than to praise something.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't put any faith in anything CR writes, Honda doesn't grease there palms anymore so anything Honda is junk to them. Who the hell read that garbage of a magazine anymore anyways,1980's anyone? The best place to get an idea about any vehicle is to visit a vehicle specific forum such as this one to hear from people that actually own that particular vehicle rather then some trash rag that test it for 1 week. I honestly don't know how CR is still in business and how gullible people who read it are! The only vehicles that seem get a high rating from CR are Hyundai and Kias because of the money they give CR.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I’m a long time CR subscriber, and receive an annual car survey. It’s a very comprehensive survey, asking questions about every major system, all the way down to fit and finish. I fill it out every year for all four of my vehicles. When it comes to vehicles, I do put some weight into the reviews because of the extensive effort and thoroughness of the annual surveys. If you’ve never seen one of these surveys, see if you can find an example of one online.

Considering the first year issues, I tend to agree with their review of the PP. I’ve been researching the PP for quite a while, and many different sites, so my sampling size of owner feedback is quite large. Just think of the infotainment system problems alone. I don’t blame people for getting so ticked off that they ding the PP in the survey. We’re already into the second model year and Honda doesn’t have a guaranteed fix for this issue. What’s worse is that they are still selling them with this huge issue. Stop production, regroup, analyze, redesign, test, and test some more. Their reputation and future sales hinge on them resolving the issues soon before loyal owners jump ship to another brand.

But, Honda keeps pumping them out and getting them on dealer lots waiting for the next unknowing buyer to take the bate. They don’t care that the new buyer is going to have to be inconvenienced numerous times to return the PP for repairs.

Check out this guy’s video regarding the same problem on a 2019 Pilot. They replaced the entire wiring harness, from front to back! The interior had to be ripped apart to replace the harness. I don’t want this happening to my new PP, which is why I put my purchase on hold. This is more than just a few people having an issue. I just read that Honda has a field service engineer going up and down the west coast to repair this issue alone. They won’t let the dealers do it yet.

That’s enough for me to put the brakes on. I’ll stay loyal to the brand, but sit on the sidelines until Honda gets their act together. Might even wait for the 2021 to be released if a real fix isn’t found in the next few months.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Well look at the name. Consumer Report. They are going by what they see from consumers. Take a look at the threads in this form, or any forum for that matter. How many "I love my new Passport" threads are then and how many threads are discussing some issue or other? People are far more likely to bitch about an issue than to praise something.
I trust what consumers have to say because they have direct knowledge of the product.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm holding off on my PP purchase until the infotainment fix is released. I don’t have the time to jerk around with multiple dealership visits for repair attempts. Plus, I don’t like the dashboard being messed with if it’s not necessary. That’s a sure way to introduce squeaks and rattles down the road. I don’t like “mechanics” monkey fisting around inside my vehicles, especially a new vehicle!
Infotainment glitches and gremlins are not Honda only specific, it's wide spread on many different makes and models, they each have there own issues. Most units nowadays are held in place with 4 clips that snap the unit it, gone are the days when you had to dismantle the entire dash to get to the radio. People demand more and more technology and cry when things don't work the way they want them too.

·
Banned
358 Posts
I trust what consumers have to say because they have direct knowledge of the product.
How so? Does CR possess and continue to drive a Passport? Car and Driver does. They are also car focused, car knowledgeable, car dedicated unlike CR, that reviews any and everything. I trust neither completely, or any single source. I look at what they have to say and compare it what others have to say.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Infotainment glitches and gremlins are not Honda only specific, it's wide spread on many different makes and models, they each have there own issues. Most units nowadays are held in place with 4 clips that snap the unit it, gone are the days when you had to dismantle the entire dash to get to the radio. People demand more and more technology and cry when things don't work the way they want them too.
When you’re paying for that technology, there’s a reasonable expectation that it works. If it doesn’t, I wouldn’t consider complaining about it as crying. I’d describe it as being pissed off that I bought a lemon. We’re not beta testers for their tech. By saying that all brands have the same problem is an excuse. Do you really expect people to spend $42k + for a vehicle only to find out it has problems that require several visits to fix, and to have the car torn apart? I’m a big Honda fan, but they don’t get a pass for serious problems that they can’t fix. I’ll wait for a TSB on this issue, and wait for a PP manufactured after the date of the TSB. I also expect recalls for this issue, as it not only impacts the infotainment system, but the dashboard display.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
How so? Does CR possess and continue to drive a Passport? Car and Driver does. They are also car focused, car knowledgeable, car dedicated unlike CR, that reviews any and everything. I trust neither completely, or any single source. I look at what they have to say and compare it what others have to say.
Well, if a consumer owns a PP and has problems with it, they note the specific issues on the annual CR car survey. That’s direct feedback from people that actually own the product. I’ll see if I can find a sample of the survey. It’s very comprehensive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When you’re paying for that technology, there’s a reasonable expectation that it works. If it doesn’t, I wouldn’t consider complaining about it as crying. I’d describe it as being pissed off that I bought a lemon. We’re not beta testers for their tech. By saying that all brands have the same problem is an excuse. Do you really expect people to spend $42k + for a vehicle only to find out it has problems that require several visits to fix, and to have the car torn apart? I’m a big Honda fan, but they don’t get a pass for serious problems that they can’t fix. I’ll wait for a TSB on this issue, and wait for a PP manufactured after the date of the TSB. I also expect recalls for this issue, as it not only impacts the infotainment system, but the dashboard display.
Want to know what I think? I don't think you really want a PP so it's time to move on but make sure you come back to let us know how things are with the vehicle you chose based on CR recommendations!
I do short leases (2 years) and have owned every make except Korean (I refuse to) and every single one had some sort of issue or two specific to that model. My last truck 17 Ram, the infotainment gliched so bad sometimes that the only way to reset it was to pull over,turn the truck off,wait 5 minutes to reset and start it back up. These things are basically computers and freeze and glich just like your PC,cell phone,smart watch etc etc so you better get over it because it will happen to every make regardless of price point.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Q:
In defense of Korean autos - back around 2014 I was looking for an older economy daily driver. I simply could not purchase my choice of an older CRV/ Element (all used sales were frozen due to the airbag dilemma). Simultaneously Consumer Reports highly recommended the older Sante Fe's.

I traded my then retired V10 Ford truck for a 92K mile 2008 Sante Fe; besides gas (and windshield wipers) it never cost me a dime - the selling Nissan dealer gave free oil and filters (for life) with their used auto sales. Had it not been stolen / wrecked I'd likely still be happily using it.

Other than the paint peeling on its' hood I'd give it an excellent rating. While I prefer my more equipped PP - this Hyundai was an equal in quality.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm almost at one year with my 2019 Passport. I have had NO problems with the infotainment system, NO problems of any kind, and mine was number 155 off the line.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Want to know what I think? I don't think you really want a PP so it's time to move on but make sure you come back to let us know how things are with the vehicle you chose based on CR recommendations!
I do short leases (2 years) and have owned every make except Korean (I refuse to) and every single one had some sort of issue or two specific to that model. My last truck 17 Ram, the infotainment gliched so bad sometimes that the only way to reset it was to pull over,turn the truck off,wait 5 minutes to reset and start it back up. These things are basically computers and freeze and glich just like your PC,cell phone,smart watch etc etc so you better get over it because it will happen to every make regardless of price point.
Your assumption is wrong. I’m loyal to the brand, just being cautious based on facts, not just from CR, but from other forums and sites. I had my dealer even confirm that the problems are widespread.

You have a totally different perspective than I do because you do short term leases and I do long term buys. I’m s systems engineer, and understand how this stuff works. Been in the tech field for 35 years. You accept mediocrity and I don’t. There are enough people having the problem, and there is no real concrete solution.

So, I’ll wait it out. Not sure why that’s such a bad thing. I’m not ditching Honda and going elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts