Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new daily driver, the 4runner, outback and JGC trailhawk were at the top of my list. I sort of knocked the outback and jeep off the list... and while the 4runner is kind of still an option, I don't love how it underperforms ON road, plus is quite outdated.

The jeep was mainly knocked off due to hearing a lot about reliability issues... but I am starting to reconsider this. Living in Vancouver, BC, I am seeing TONS of Jeeps on the road - all models. 4runners too. I'm starting to wonder if the reliability issues are just something that gets repeated over and over without any (modern) truth to it? Looking into outback, there is little shortage of hate for the CVT... yet clearly I am seeing them everywhere, including on some remote roads.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looking at a new daily driver, the 4runner, outback and JGC trailhawk were at the top of my list. I sort of knocked the outback and jeep off the list... and while the 4runner is kind of still an option, I don't love how it underperforms ON road, plus is quite outdated.

The jeep was mainly knocked off due to hearing a lot about reliability issues... but I am starting to reconsider this. Living in Vancouver, BC, I am seeing TONS of Jeeps on the road - all models. 4runners too. I'm starting to wonder if the reliability issues are just something that gets repeated over and over without any (modern) truth to it? Looking into outback, there is little shortage of hate for the CVT... yet clearly I am seeing them everywhere, including on some remote roads.
I was also thinking between the Trailhawk and the Passport; in the end, I chose the Passport because of the savings I was able to get. As for the reliability, my Passport has been in the dealership way more than any other vehicle that I have ever owned. I've had issues with the infotainment center, rear wiper fluid motor burning out, false readings from the collision mitigation braking system (CMBS), the weatherstripping coming completely off the passenger door, defective sunglasses holder, and warped brake rotors.

Regardless of the issues that I've had with my Passport, I still love this vehicle, and I am glad I purchased it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking between the Trailhawk and the Passport; in the end, I chose the Passport because of the savings I was able to get. As for the reliability, my Passport has been in the dealership way more than any other vehicle that I have ever owned. I've had issues with the infotainment center, rear wiper fluid motor burning out, false readings from the collision mitigation braking system (CMBS), the weatherstripping coming completely off the passenger door, defective sunglasses holder, and warped brake rotors.
Well... that's reassuring, in the worst way possible! Eek

2019? 2020? Seems they're basically identical though

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts

Hello Kaitlyn, I had two BMW's back to back, drove them for 16 years, I invite you to go read the BMW forums and they are full of people complaining about their vehicles, that seems to be the pattern for vehicle sites on the internet. My two BMW's were the most reliable, dependable and well built vehicles I have ever owned, but you would not have "thunk" that if you read all the complaints on the BMW Forums.

Now that is not to denigrate anyone who has had real problems with their Passports, I'm sure the problems are real and I sympathize with them, but that does not take away from the fact that there is an uneven amount of people joining to complain about there PP's over PP owners who have zero problems with their vehicles. I'm guessing now, but I am reasonably sure that the percentage of people with issues is well under 10% and most likely under 5%. MEANING 95% of the buyers have no issues at all (or minor easily fixable ones).

That being said and based on where you live, if you have a Jeep dealer close to you and they have free loaners, you might enjoy a Jeep, even better if you lease one, as you'll (most likely) be ready to move on when the lease is up. The few people I've known with Jeeps had problems with them. Jeeps ALWAYS rate very low in reliabilty in JD Powers and similar long-term ownership comparisons. As for myself, I would never own one, even though I think the Grand Cherokee looks awesome on the outside!

Take care and good luck with whatever you get...!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
98% of all Jeeps are still on the road............the other 2% actually made it back home. LOL
See I've heard variations of this almost every time a jeep topic comes up, which leads back to my original question of how much is the jeep reliability an actual concern vs people just regurgitating random jokes and past history of jeep 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
19 Posts
I considered the Cherokee (regular, not Grand) Trailhawk as well. But every mechanic I know, including relatives and friends, said to stay away from Jeep. I do really like the look of them and the better off-road chops were appealing, but I hated how so many things (like safety features) required an add-on package to get.

Price was competitive, but the available vehicles in my area with those safety feature packages were few and far between.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I once had frequent access to older Jeeps - from the later 60's - thru 78; these early Jeeps were great running topless thru the open country surrounding Ft. WeGotCha, Arizona. They were vastly more fun than the additionally provided five-quarters and duece and a halves; I will testify that ALL three were horrible on the cold wintertime German Autobahns. Regrettably I never got to drive the Hummer.

A friend has a fancy (2018?) 2WD Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand), it Required a new tranny within months; parked side by side with my PP it looks dinky. He's happy with it. His bride pilots a highly dressed Chrysler mini-van, a direct competitor to my brides Ody. She too is happy with her Chrysler.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jeep Reliability: Between my wife and I, we have owned 8 Jeeps. Out of those 8 Jeeps ('97 Cherokee Country bought used, '05 Liberty, '09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '11 Patriot, '14 Cherokee, '15 Renegade, '16 Grand Cherokee, '17 Compass Trailhawk), 2 of them ended up becoming Lemon Law cases. Out of the remaining 6, only 2 I would call reliable.... the Patriot and Grand Cherokee, and I've heard horror stories from other people about experiences they have had with both of those models. It's a total crapshoot with Jeep. Honda isn't what it used to be … but it still is more reliable than Jeep without question.

·
Registered
114 Posts
See I've heard variations of this almost every time a jeep topic comes up, which leads back to my original question of how much is the jeep reliability an actual concern vs people just regurgitating random jokes and past history of jeep 🤷‍♀️
Grab an April issue of Consumer Reports. It would appear Jeep didn't do a very good job of greasing CRs palms. The overall Jeep reliability for the past 8 years of owner surveys doesn't look real peachy. Just sayin', trying to help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I strongly considered the Grand Cherokee and part of me still wishes I went that way. I also considered the Wranglar but I was ready for something quiet, comfy, and smooth riding. Honda won out in the end because I’ve had so many and my used Honda was in short supply and they were giving the PP’s away.

In the end, how long do you plan to keep it? If you’re one of those that drives it till the wheels fall off, I’d go for the 4-runner. If you’re 1-3 years type and then ready for something new, I’d go for the Jeep. And yes, some makes have reps they will never overcome and that sticks with people.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I went back and looked at the Wranglers and Grand Cherokees at the dealer by my house this evening. After 5 months with the PP, I’m so glad I chose it over the GC and no longer have any remorse. The GC looks great but imo, the PP is light years ahead of it. I can’t even believe the sticker prices are so close.

And the wrangler, how one spends 40k+ on one of those is beyond me. Jeep has got to have a huge margin on those things as I just don’t see the value there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts