Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

I have been having the following issue for the last 2 months or so. I have a 19' Elite with about 11,000 miles on. On startup, when I depress the brake and turn on the ignition, the car starts fine but sways in place like moving forward and backward in place. Don't believe the tires move at all but the car body does. It is noticeable, not sure how far it moves but I would say 5-6 inches maybe. This happens intermittently but I am very careful how I park in my garage or anywhere hoping no one parks too close. I plan to discuss with my dealer but doubt they would do anything or even be able to replicate it. Thank you so much for your help. Any idea?

[[Another issue that may not be relevant but worth mentioning is the stiff brake pedal at startup, also happens on occasions. It doesn't seem to occur at the same time as the swaying issue]]

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,095 Posts
Wow! This is awful. I’ve never seen anyone ask about this and it’s doubtful the dealer will know, but certainly worth asking them.

Personally, I do not have 5-6” space to spare in my garage, so I hope to never have this issue!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I have been having the following issue for the last 2 months or so. I have a 19' Elite with about 11,000 miles on. On startup, when I depress the brake and turn on the ignition, the car starts fine but sways in place like moving forward and backward in place. Don't believe the tires move at all but the car body does. It is noticeable, not sure how far it moves but I would say 5-6 inches maybe. This happens intermittently but I am very careful how I park in my garage or anywhere hoping no one parks too close. I plan to discuss with my dealer but doubt they would do anything or even be able to replicate it. Thank you so much for your help. Any idea?

[[Another issue that may not be relevant but worth mentioning is the stiff brake pedal at startup, also happens on occasions. It doesn't seem to occur at the same time as the swaying issue]]
Just curious but have you tried using the parking brake every time you park just to determine the fact of the wheels moving or not?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This happens to mine. Pretty sure it rolls forward, but I will keep an eye on it.
It does it also when the engine auto shuts off at a light. You slightly lift the brake and you can feel the car lurch forward against the brakes when the engine starts up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious but have you tried using the parking brake every time you park just to determine the fact of the wheels moving or not?
Last Saturday, I tried remote start and happened to be next tp the car and the wheels DO move back and forth. Like moving forward for a few inches and reversing the same immediately.
No, I have not been using the parking brake. But I started last night and I will try to do so as many times as possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed this too the other day. I had stopped at a light and the Auto stop/start engaged, I frequently turn this feature off using the disengage button obviously. As I pushed the button it restarted immediately like always but this time I felt the car body move forward and back, almost like I had someone push the car from behind against the brake. It feels like there is some residual hydraulic pressure in the transmission that when the motor fires up gets released. I just crossed 1k miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up the car from the dealer. Well, as expected, they say everything is normal and there are no issues. Computer picked no codes....etc. I wasn’t expecting them to address the issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My guess is that this is not unique to the Passport, Pilot owners with the same Trans and motor probably experience this as well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I noticed this the other day on a restart while sitting at a light. I suspect it’s always done it and I have never noticed it and only did because of this thread. My thought is it’s the trans, it obviously has to be to make the vehicle move, and I really don’t care. I see it as a quirk and not a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine will do it randomly on remote starts.
4000miles, I never put it in park, i just shut it off,(goes to park during shutdown)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine does it too, has anyone reported to the dealer? What did they say?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts