Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got my speakers in from carfeature.de and only took a month (shipping by DHL non-express is ocean freight due to COVID)

APK 165 2ohm
AV 3.0

Notes:
1) Build quality feels really good!

2) No brackets come with the speakers, which is fine since you usually have to make your own anyway.

3) Tweeters are not plug-n-play with the Honda tweeter harness from Red Wolf. The harness is still useful since you can use solder it to the tweeter or crossover so you don't have to cut into the factory wiring.

4) Tweeters are actually 4ohm tweeters with the passive crossover being designated as APCX TW 2ohm. Makes me think it might be prudent to install the passive crossovers anyway.

5) AV 3.0 is also not plug-n-play with the tweeter harness as the negative wire needs a bigger quick slide connector.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Got my speakers in from carfeature.de and only took a month (shipping by DHL non-express is ocean freight due to COVID)

APK 165 2ohm
AV 3.0

Notes:
1) Build quality feels really good!

2) No brackets come with the speakers, which is fine since you usually have to make your own anyway.

3) Tweeters are not plug-n-play with the Honda tweeter harness from Red Wolf. The harness is still useful since you can use solder it to the tweeter or crossover so you don't have to cut into the factory wiring.

4) Tweeters are actually 4ohm tweeters with the passive crossover being designated as APCX TW 2ohm. Makes me think it might be prudent to install the passive crossovers anyway.

5) AV 3.0 is also not plug-n-play with the tweeter harness as the negative wire needs a bigger quick slide connector.

Cool, please let us know how they sound (after installation)...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the chance to install the front tweeters and woofers today. Definitely a huge difference though the sound stage changed so much that I thought I had one of the speakers out of phase. After getting used to the difference, the sound quality has definitely improved and the vocals in the songs I've been listening to are much clearer.

Installation was fairly quick for the speakers, sound deadening though took a long time. The tweeters sit kind of odd in the pillars since it doesn't fit into the original basket perfectly. I'll have to go back and take some material from the basket to let the tweeter slide completely in.

I'll be doing the rear door woofers next once I get time since I'm sound deadening the doors at the same time. After that, I plan on having the rear pillar midranges installed at the same time as my JBL DSP4086 by a local audio shop. From what I've seen the JBL dsp amp is pretty solid for OEM type speakers and has speaker-level inputs and input summing. Currently on sale at Crutchfield for $240.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the chance to install the front tweeters and woofers today. Definitely a huge difference though the sound stage changed so much that I thought I had one of the speakers out of phase. After getting used to the difference, the sound quality has definitely improved and the vocals in the songs I've been listening to are much clearer.

Installation was fairly quick for the speakers, sound deadening though took a long time. The tweeters sit kind of odd in the pillars since it doesn't fit into the original basket perfectly. I'll have to go back and take some material from the basket to let the tweeter slide completely in.

I'll be doing the rear door woofers next once I get time since I'm sound deadening the doors at the same time. After that, I plan on having the rear pillar midranges installed at the same time as my JBL DSP4086 by a local audio shop. From what I've seen the JBL dsp amp is pretty solid for OEM type speakers and has speaker-level inputs and input summing. Currently on sale at Crutchfield for $240.

Hey Guys! I just bought a 2021 Passport Elite. I was curios if you used the crossover in the tweeters as it sounded like in the beginning of this thread there was some debate. I installed the Hertz K170s in my Passport, but I do not want to add an amp. I am a little unhappy with the volume output. I believe this is due to the 2 ohm stock speakers to the 4 ohm Hertz Speakers. I am tempted to pull them out and install the Audison 2 ohm, as I feel this would fix my issues.

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey Guys! I just bought a 2021 Passport Elite. I was curios if you used the crossover in the tweeters as it sounded like in the beginning of this thread there was some debate. I installed the Hertz K170s in my Passport, but I do not want to add an amp. I am a little unhappy with the volume output. I believe this is due to the 2 ohm stock speakers to the 4 ohm Hertz Speakers. I am tempted to pull them out and install the Audison 2 ohm, as I feel this would fix my issues.
I did use the crossovers with the 2 ohm system I installed. The system volume now may be slightly less than the level the factory ones produced. I attribute some of that to the sound not being completely channeled into the cabin. The Audison speakers don’t seal tightly to the door panel like the stock ones did. I purchased baffles but haven’t gotten back in there to install them yet. Otherwise the 2 ohm Audisons were a great upgrade for me - pairing with just the factory head/amp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used harness adapters. If you install the crossover you will still have to splice wires. Otherwise no splicing required. The adapters for the door speakers are different from the pillar speakers.

Pillar adapters

door speaker adapters

Just my .02 - The rear pillar speakers are 3 inch midrange speakers. Not tweeters. I’m a newbie at this so I’ll spare you my opinion on changing the stock factory sound stage just keep in mind installing a 1 inch tweeter in that location isn’t a direct replacement like the front pillars are.
Thanks for the adapter info. Was able to find matching red wolf on amazon. Will be installing some skar tweeters this weekend =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did the Audison Tweeters fit in the A-Pillar Stock holes okay? They weren't too large or too small? I figure I might have to hot glue them in like I did the Hertz Tweeters.

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did the Audison Tweeters fit in the A-Pillar Stock holes okay? They weren't too large or too small? I figure I might have to hot glue them in like I did the Hertz Tweeters.
Yes. Tight fit. I don’t think you’ll need glue. You may need to slightly enlarge the holes (I didn’t) if they don’t pop right into the factory openings.

·
3,110 Posts
These are the speakers I have in the front of my Passport:

Ok, so they a re a bit pricey, but the Tweeters fit perfectly, did have to enlarge the mounting hole slightly, but most tweeters WILL fit! Crutchfield actually says this tweeter will NOT fit, but you can see for yourself...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used these. They claim to be an authorized Audison distributer.

hey XBOX reading through the thread again. Wondering if these audisons on Amazon you linked included the crossovers with the two woofers? Pictures only show the 6.5 Speakers. Did the audisons require you to cut away the inner door panel plastic lip around the speaker? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
hey XBOX reading through the thread again. Wondering if these audisons on Amazon you linked included the crossovers with the two woofers? Pictures only show the 6.5 Speakers. Did the audisons require you to cut away the inner door panel plastic lip around the speaker? Thanks!!
Nope. Plug and play. No crossovers. Purchase the mounting adapter and one of the aftermarket harness adapters to make your life easier. Not sure where your at, it may benefit you to check out this video for replacement of pilot rear door speakers - same deal..

Removing the rear door panel on the passport is similar to this video.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you! I have done all four doors but now I’m going deeper in the rabbit hole just to see what more can be done and the front components with tweeters are intriguing to me. I don’t want to run a crossover box with speaker wire from door to A pillar so the audison individual crossovers also seem a lot easier. Just looking at possible options if I wanted to do more or just stick with what I did with coaxials in doors. It was really cheap and sounds better to me but I’m always looking at what others have done. I like what you’ve done with the audisons and what @stevenD has done too. Great work y’all

edit @XBOX , I guess the only thing I'm wondering is if the lower trims, Sport/EX-L do not have the crossover built in the Honda DSP. I would consider getting the audison you linked even if it doesn't include the crossover if I don't "need" it like @stevenD mentioned but I'm not 100% if that's just for the better speaker trims. Reading the ridgeline thread the higher trims (kind of like the touring/elite models on PP) did not have full range, but lower Ridgeline trims did, so that makes me wonder if EX-L would need crossovers since it's the Passport lower trims? But then again, the stock speakers were not 2-way so maybe it is already has crossover in the EX-L DSP even with the lower wattage speaker system.

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Thank you! I have done all four doors but now I’m going deeper in the rabbit hole just to see what more can be done and the front components with tweeters are intriguing to me. I don’t want to run a crossover box with speaker wire from door to A pillar so the audison individual crossovers also seem a lot easier. Just looking at possible options if I wanted to do more or just stick with what I did with coaxials in doors. It was really cheap and sounds better to me but I’m always looking at what others have done. I like what you’ve done with the audisons and what @stevenD has done too. Great work y’all

I got ya. So I'm not sure about all that.

Those dedicated mini crossovers may only be available with the component set. Mine are mounted behind the A- Pillar trim.

My two cents - the coaxial speakers will have their own built in crossover so they're a direct a replacement for the 6 inch door speakers. Your fine there. The stock A pillar tweeters do have a built in capacitor in the assembly. Not sure what that is. I'd just install an inline bass blocking capacitor with your tweeters positive terminals, and be done with it, If the signal is already processed and filtered, the capacitor would just be redundant and serve no purpose. If it's not, then that filter would protect the tweeter from harmful bass frequencies and only pass the frequencies a tweeter speaker is optimized for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those dedicated mini crossovers may only be available with the component set. Mine are mounted behind the A- Pillar trim.

Don't remember if they're in the EX-L, I installed Audison Voce 3 inch midrange speakers in the rear pillars. Most work and most expensive pair, but best upgrade of all four sets... Sorry $$.
Nope, no rear tweeters. Just "7" two front tweeters, four doors, and the sub.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes. Tight fit. I don’t think you’ll need glue. You may need to slightly enlarge the holes (I didn’t) if they don’t pop right into the factory openings.
Was looking at these tweeters since they fit into factory opening. How did you secure it? I'm looking at the product packagin and I just see an angled base. Was there a bracket that you screw into the back of the tweeter to secure the backside? Or did you just force it into the factory opening and it is now snug in place? Thanks again for your time!

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Was looking at these tweeters since they fit into factory opening. How did you secure it? I'm looking at the product packagin and I just see an angled base. Was there a bracket that you screw into the back of the tweeter to secure the backside? Or did you just force it into the factory opening and it is now snug in place? Thanks again for your time!
Yea. Just popped em in. It’s somewhat of an interference fit. That’s why I said you might even want to enlarge the opening. I didn’t secure them. Once installed it was difficult to rotate them to center the label on the front. I’d expect yours to be similar.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yea. Just popped em in. It’s somewhat of an interference fit. That’s why I said you might even want to enlarge the opening. I didn’t secure them. Once installed it was difficult to rotate them to center the label on the front. I’d expect yours to be similar.
What brand and model of tweeters are you referring to that just snap into the PP A pillar openings? Thanks!

·
3,110 Posts
Hello everyone, the Audison APK165 2ohm set goes for $380 + tax on Amazon

There is a brand new set on eBay for $290...

Reactions: pshadoa and XBOX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just ordered mine from a dealer in Germany. Ordered two component sets APK 165 2 ohm for $360 total with shipping and PayPal Int'l fees I cannot wait to get these installed! So there is enough room in the A-Pillar for the Audison Crossovers? If not can I get the Crutchfield Bass Blockers since they are smaller in-line ?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts