Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first round trip road trip from OC to Vegas and all in all, WOW!

A few technical challenges on the first leg, with not knowing some things like how the cruise control works, to some sort of vehicle lane and distance between the car in front of me assist! Still getting used to all the bells and whistles coming from my vintage 2006 CRV!

The ride is so smooth and quiet even down to the continental tires that have horrible reviews.
Oh, it’s so quiet that for the entire time I left the noise of city traffic I could hear an air flow noise when I had no music, AC or even vent air on. Figured it out when I got home, my nephew turned the passenger seat cushion vent on when he was pushing all sorts of buttons and I didn’t see it behind my water bottle.

I love that there are zero blind spots!

My gas mileage was fantastic too! I made it to Vegas 291 miles (door to door) on 1/2 tank of gas 20.9mpg, and home tonite on a little more than 3/4 tank 28mpg and the traffic was so bad - it took me 9 hours to get home vs 5 to get there and 5-6 is my normal.

Cons on my Passport:
- the stupid idle stop option. I always forget to turn it off.
- it doesn’t fly like Dumbo...(we watched the movie last night).
- the cup holder doesn’t fit my 40 oz hydro flask with water. So I ordered an expanded from amazon and it’s horrible...it comes out with the whole bottle then falls off on the passenger floor.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,036 Posts
Sounds like a good trip, I think the tire problems are greatly exaggerated, many of the people here who dumped them simply wanted an off-road tire and rim, others live in severe climates and need dedicated winter tires. My feeling is that in So. Cal. and the highways to and from it, these tires will be just fine, so do be sucked into believing you need an upgrade.

As for the water bottles, if you are driving solo, just get two 20oz bottles...lol

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a good trip, I think the tire problems are greatly exaggerated, many of the people here who dumped them simply wanted an off-road tire and rim, others live in severe climates and need dedicated winter tires. My feeling is that in So. Cal. and the highways to and from it, these tires will be just fine, so do be sucked into believing you need an upgrade.

As for the water bottles, if you are driving solo, just get two 20oz bottles...lol
Yeah - I’m not dropping the money on new tires yet. Will wait til these crap out. I did get America’s Tire to put their guarantee certificate on them and locks.

I would still like to see an option for a full size spare in the cargo area. So much wasted space under there. And speaking of severe climates...my all weather floor and cargo mats are a must for our terrible weather! It rained this morning in vegas and the 5 1/2 year old nephew jumped thru the gutter river before getting in my car to drive it over to their front door! ?

I can’t do two hydro flasks because my coffee is in a 20oz! I’m thinking if I can put something in the cup holder to weight it down so it doesn’t lift out, that would help?

I’ve got until tomorrow afternoon when I leave for Ventura to find something...

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
My gas mileage was fantastic too! I made it to Vegas 291 miles (door to door) on 1/2 tank of gas 20.9mpg, and home tonite on a little more than 3/4 tank 28mpg and the traffic was so bad - it took me 9 hours to get home vs 5 to get there and 5-6 is my normal.
Why such a mpg difference. Is it all uphill to Vegas?

·
Registered
162 Posts

I also agree about the tires, I don't have a problem with them although my only off-road adventure has been in sand.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My first round trip road trip from OC to Vegas and all in all, WOW!

A few technical challenges on the first leg, with not knowing some things like how the cruise control works, to some sort of vehicle lane and distance between the car in front of me assist! Still getting used to all the bells and whistles coming from my vintage 2006 CRV!

The ride is so smooth and quiet even down to the continental tires that have horrible reviews.
Oh, it’s so quiet that for the entire time I left the noise of city traffic I could hear an air flow noise when I had no music, AC or even vent air on. Figured it out when I got home, my nephew turned the passenger seat cushion vent on when he was pushing all sorts of buttons and I didn’t see it behind my water bottle.

I love that there are zero blind spots!

Cons on my Passport:
- the stupid idle stop option. I always forget to turn it off.
- it doesn’t fly like Dumbo...(we watched the movie last night).
- the cup holder doesn’t fit my 40 oz hydro flask with water. So I ordered an expanded from amazon and it’s horrible...it comes out with the whole bottle then falls off on the passenger floor.
I haven't has any problem with the idle stop, it seems to work and not get in the way although I'm seldom in any traffic so I really don't notice it.

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why such a mpg difference. Is it all uphill to Vegas?
Only thing I can think of was my passport had about 100 miles on it when I drove to vegas?
There are only about 2 small inclines? It seems there are more inclines returning back to CA?

But there were even so many times I could count the lane bumps yesterday that’s how little movement I had. It would have been interesting I could get my average speed!

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No words...
0FB71C5D-F48A-43B5-8707-79FD10F79338.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought a BottlePro cup holder from Amazon a few years ago for my 40 oz. Hydro and it included different sizing rings to work in different size cup holders. I'm guessing they have an updated version by now, but my old one fits fine the PP. Not sure what brand you tried.

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a BottlePro cup holder from Amazon a few years ago for my 40 oz. Hydro and it included different sizing rings to work in different size cup holders. I'm guessing they have an updated version by now, but my old one fits fine the PP. Not sure what brand you tried.
I got a SmartFlask from Amazon, will give the bottlepro a try though. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts