Honda Passport Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all, thanks to those that took the time to offer advice, it is much appreciated. I have gone to two dealerships, and spoke with the aircon service managers at each who both suggested I speak with the district service manager who visits every few weeks. At the first dealership (where vehicle was purchased) The service manager personally spoke with the district service manager and after that discussion I was told there was nothing they could do Bc it was operating up to spec. I then was offered the choice to Make an appointment with the district service manager myself, or to speak with the manager of the dealership. I chose to speak with the manager of the dealership because it was someone to speak with in the here and now compounded with the fact that the service manager already spoke with the regional district manager. I thought at that point I would have more luck w the general manager of the dealership at the time, however he was not helpful at all. And I mean helpful in a sense that he Deferred to the service department, and would not take initiative to rectify the air conditioning situation. After doing several troubleshooting tasks, riding in the car with them, and them taking my vehicle overnight checking the behavior of the ac on a longer drive and doing other tests such as comparing to another PP’s in the lot, and Contacting and waiting for the Honda master mechanic at headquarters (sorry, offhand I don’t recall the exact Division/terminology used ), I was frustrated with that dealership and did not want to Work with that dealership any longer so I decided to try another dealership because I thought for sure I would get help. Therefore I declined at that point from that dealership to meet with the district service manager.

I went to another Apple service place who really didn’t want to look into issue Bc the new car was purchased at another dealership but ultimately they looked at my vehicle. I would like to point out that after all of my inconvenience, and my expression of frustration, I was sure to maintain my composure, and not act “hysterical “when speaking to the service manager at the second dealership. That dealership also acknowledged that the air was blowing out 88°, From the front when the thermostat was set at 70 And i had them document it . They couldn’t believe it either, and called the district service manager to discuss. I’m assuming that it was the same district manager that was spoken to at the previous dealership, and so she was prepared with the same answer that I was given at the other dealership . I told the second dealership that I was offered to meet with the district service manager at the other dealership for my issue, and that I would like to meet with her. At the second dealership, they told me she would not meet with me bc there was no problem with the vehicle and that it had already been discussed and deemed working up to spec. I was offered to speak with the regional service manager, and because I went to another dealership in hopes that they would rectify the problem The offering was revoked — The dealership suggested that my only other option was to write to Honda corporation, because there was nothing they could do at this point.

I did just that, and collected all my data and pictures and sent it In to them. After writing a letter to Honda corporation and speaking with them several times on the telephone, They suggested I bring it back to the service department where I purchased the vehicle. At this this point now the summer is over and now the fall is close to over, I was not able to duplicate such “extreme” variances in temperature due to the weather in my area. I didn’t want to waste more of my time bringing the car in again because I couldn’t readily duplicate the problem connxsistebtly at that point. The air conditioner did not behave As erratic because of the change in temperature/season, so I told them I will have to put it to rest for now And that I will revisit it in the summer when it becomes an issue again. The case was closed.

Referring to the meat thermometer that I was using to record my temperatures, I sat right alongside the service manager with my meat thermometer and i got the exact same numbers sticking it in the vents as his thermometer. Also, unless the outside temperature gauge is wrong on the passport, I was getting within 1° when testing the outside temperature compared to what the Honda was reading. So telling me that the meat thermometer is not accurate is actually false. It is for sure within 3°, and almost always within 1° of the service managers values.

It is well known that many factors such as barometric pressure, humidity and condensation, play into controlling the temperature and with these new high-tech air conditioning systems/thermostats, that the temperature readings were extremely erratic. How the car behaves to get To the temperature desired, fluctuated greatly. I would check it while driving, at different times of the day, raining, not raining, in the dark, night time, in the sun, 70° weather outside, 90° weather outside, I tested multiple variables, and just found it To behave unpredictable and erratic. It is very difficult to explain that to the dealership. It is hard to duplicate the problem when you don’t have someone sitting in the car driving Around for an hour or so. So that adds to the frustration. They check the car over a five minute span. And they take the car out for a drive, and check it for a few minutes. And sometimes you can’t be certain what the thermometer will spit out, but it behaves very erratically, and unpredictably.

there’s not much I can do about it right now after the steps I’ve taken and it is what it is. I promise you though that someone sitting in an hour long car ride with me in the summer, will comment saying how hot it is in the car when the temperature is set at 70°. And my response is that Honda said it is working up to spec. Passengers cannot believe that Honda says that it is working up to spec. Will that passenger buy a Honda? Or buy one again? I can’t answer that, but I know What my answer would be. In the beginning, My frustration was that I spent $40,000 plus on a vehicle, and other people confirm and agree that the thermostat/ac is clearly not working properly, but yet im told that this is how the ac worksin this day and age. To the gentleman who quoted me As was whining and the many other “personal “ things said, I would love for you to have my vehicle, and be told that the air conditioning and the thermostat are working properly. I would like to see how you would react. Luckily for you, your issue was a refrigerant problem, and the problem was easily identified and then easily fixed. I can understand why you are considering my frustration as whining, However, you don’t know what it feels like. I’m stating facts, and you squashed the facts and are telling me what you want to tell me. You are very lucky, that you are now happy with how your air conditioning is performing. I wish you had mine to see what it was like. You are assuming I am hysterical and that nothing is wrong with it.

You, yourself got very frustrated over starting a thread and that it went off into a different direction. You actually were so frustrated the first time, you started a whole separate thread. So you understand frustration—You actually demanded an apology for YOUR thread being derailed and the hysterics — wow, Imagine that they told you your air conditioner was fine and that they wouldn’t fix it. I can’t imagine how frustrated you would be then — Did anybody criticize you for your whining, and hysteria, because the thread that you started didn’t go as planned? Because In an air conditioning threadpeople discussed faulty air conditioners and didn’t SPECIFICALLY discuss lack of refrigerant as the cause?

Be nice, lucky for you (again, Bc you are lucky your air conditioner was fixed and now works properly) nobody disrespected you and blasted you, and called you hysterical, inflexible, controlling, whining, as you did to others. Be nice and don’t assume - it’s a forum. trust me, You would be very frustrated if you had my air conditioner unit and had the experiences I had trying to get it to work properly. When you spend the money you do, you don’t expect to be told not to look at the number you set the controls at. Again, off by a few degrees, fine— but not blowing out 104 from the rear when it is set at 72 degrees. aircon servicing

Again, thanks to those with advice and being understanding of my frustration - I was just trying to convey my frustration and see if anyone else had the problems I have Had. I do apologize for taking up space and taking too much time complaining because it doesn’t do anyone any good. And I complained a lot and. I one wants to hear that much . I don’t apologize for my comments about Honda . I know they are a great company and make great cars and I am really shocked and surprised that they are not validating my complaints and they are ignoring pictures and ignoring their own service managers opinions. Those are facts.

Sorry to hear that your experience with Hondo is so terrible man. I hope you are doing better now.
That being said, this is quite an angry thread lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
AC works best if Auto Start/Stop is off as well as Econ mode. 98F here yesterday outside of San Diego and AC works fine. Set it at 66 recirc with fan on 2nd lowest speed. And I am one who likes it cold! Touring with Modern Steel metallic with black interior.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts