Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Service dept test drove it and confirmed the lag but says it is "normal".

Second Passport at the dealer behaves exactly the same.
I would sell it then, take the lumps and buy something that makes you happy. I’ve traded brand new cars because didn’t like the color one time.
You want fast? Try a GT mustang and put a whipple on it. Roush and Shelby sell 800 Horse F150s. Price tag is steep. Want faster. Open the wallet and don’t shop 40k cars

·
Registered
68 Posts
I sure hope he's in the minority that doesn't like the transmission in a forum where most members are owners of the Passport ;).

Many reviewers actually raised the same problem with the transmissions. Here are few of them:

Another small misstep is the transmission tuning. Mostly smooth and prompt, this gearbox is nonetheless Scrooge-like with downshifts. Nail the accelerator and in certain situations, and it flat-out refuses to drop. Fiddle with the paddle shifters and you can get it to do what you want.

(https://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/honda/2019-honda-passport-review-and-video)

We raved about this vehicle’s engine in the Pilot, where it was matched with a smart-shifting six-speed automatic transmission, but the V6 here is paired with a nine-speed automatic. This combination results in hesitation, particularly when drivers accelerate from a rolling start. There’s a pronounced delay when drivers try to jump into a gap in traffic.

(https://www.consumerreports.org/suvs/2019-honda-passport-first-drive-review/)

Redline Reviews -

What OP and these reviews describe are similar to what I experienced during my own tests, and although it is far from being a deal breaker for me, I've definitely seen quicker/smoother transmissions in similar price range cars/suvs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's hard to agree or disagree when someone says the transmission is or isnt quick to downshift because that perceived speed is going to be different for everyone based on assumptions and prior vehicles. I think it is pretty quick for its size, but my frame of reference for quick isnt going to match everyones.

Reactions: wildonz

·
Registered
23 Posts
One thing I did noticed and didn’t like is how quickly and intrusive the traction control / VSA is when you want to take off rapidly from a full stop.

If you just stomp on it from a dead stop (I have the Elite so AWD) there is some wheel spin that makes the VSA intervine immediately and noticeably by cutting power so there is a very annoying pause before the Passport takes off again.

I did play with it a bit and if you place the AWD terrain system in MUD it will allow more wheel spin and it will really take off quickly and smoothly.

I’ve yet to experience any acceleration oddities while in “normal” driving.

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
222 Posts
there is a noticeable lag between the moment foot pushes the pedal and the engine/transmission reacts.

It seems this problem is not new and is also present on the Pilot, see for example:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-honda-pilot-first-drive-tweaked-not-transformed-1420702650020/

"However, while passing, I found the transmission still falls flat. A quick punch of the accelerator pedal is met with delay, and the transmission never seems to grab the right gear the first time. It ends up feeling like a one-or two-second delay. It's an unfortunate bit of discordance with the rest of the Pilot's pretty good and very smooth driving experience."

and

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/157739-acceleration-problem.html

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/11...-pilot-exl-2017-acceleration.html#post1332866
Maybe the Passport and Pilot with 9 Speed isn't for you? Sorry to say, but I don't think you'll be happy.

I feel the 'shifts' of the ZF 9 speed, but I also understand it uses dog clutches on 4 gear and 7th gear shifts. I have no issues with the way it shifs. It's a 9 speed. Not a 5 or 6 speed automatic.

The Passport flys like a "Bat outta "He**" when you push the go pedal. Out of 3 or 4 SUV's on TL truck reviews on You Tube, including the "fast" Ford Edge 2.0L Ecoboost turbo, the Passport was still quicker than any of those vehicles.

For those interested in a good article on the 2019 Passport from Car and Driver:

See below a April 2019 Road Test report, as a 14.6 sec 1/4 mile for a 4200 lb vehicle is excellent! Link:
April 2019 Honda Passport Road Test
Car and Driver: "Passport, which, at 4265 pounds for the Elite model we tested, is only 35 pounds lighter than a similarly equipped Pilot. The Passport requires just 5.8 seconds to reach 60 mph, which is 0.2 second quicker than its larger sibling and half a second ahead of the all-new and more powerful Chevrolet Blazer RS."
C/D TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 20.7 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.5 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.6 sec @ 96 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 112 mph

Reactions: BABear70

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I will admit that I have felt an occasional shift that made me go "hmm" (no singing, please :)). I'm coming from a 6 speed transmission Pilot that never had a hmm moment. With that said, it's honestly not a big deal for me. Except for this occasional hiccup the Passport shifts very smoothly and I'm personally very happy with it overall.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Even in "Sport" mode, acceleration on my new Passport 2019 (Canadian Touring trim, equivalent to US Elite) feels quite weak, and when releasing gas/re-accelerating the transmission sometimes shifts with some delay or bad timing..

Has anyone noticed this? Is that normal behavior with the new/supposedly "improved" ZF transmission ?

Paradoxically my old Odyssey 2008 minivan (V6 engine, 241 hp, 242 lb.-ft. torque, 5-speed automatic transmission) seems to have a lot more "oomph" when departing from a red light, and doesn't chronically mis-shift..

Marc
2019 Passport 0-60 tests show it is 2 sec. faster than a 2008 Oddyssey.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My suggestion for you would be to talk to your Honda dealership and tell them you are not satisfied with your acceleration or transmission.
I purchased my Passport after test driving several makes and models and although the Passport is larger than most other models, it was the V6 power that sold me on my purchase.
I do not compare this vehicle to our other two cars; A Mazda CX-5 Signature, turbo 4 (not impressive power, more noise and the worst turbo lag ever)
and a C7 Corvette Z06 convertible (more power than I need).
The Passport is a boat or as a friend of mine riding in it has claimed “ Its like a bus with balls”.
Sorry you are not satisfied with the performance .

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD Blue
108 Posts
The Passport in sport mode launches from a light like crazy. The 9 speed can sometimes be a bit slow to shift/get caught in the wrong gear during regular driving but it's great most of the time and never shifts slowly in sport mode. Honestly wasn't expecting it to be this fast coming from a 2010 Pilot which only had 30 less HP.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No way the PP is 5.8 0-60. Not fair to only mention the best results. You'll see test results in the 6's and low 7's as well. Everything C & D tests always comes up fast. For comparison, I have a 14 V6 Accord and it's a hell of a lot faster and it should be as it weighs way less. Even my Ridgeline with the 6 speed felt better on takeoff probably because it doesn't start in second. For me the real test is how much extra is left when you give it gas doing 60. The Accord has a whole level left while the Odysseys, PP's and Ridgelines are pretty much done. The 9 speed does make good use of the powerband though which is what matters in real world driving. For those that want the acceleration I suppose the RAV Prime would be the answer now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have had the same problem from the get-go
It can be very dangerous if you try to make a quick k-turn or any quick maneuver because it doesn't respond at first and then jerks forward
if they fixed it for you please respond

·
Registered
84 Posts
In D mode it is pretty sluggish off the line as 2nd gear is pretty tall compare to the 1st gear on a 5 or 4 speed auto. If you switch to S mode, the ratio is much lower and will shoot the car off the line even chirping the tires.
As for delay, I think it's just so many gears to go through compare to an older car with less gears usually under large gas pedal application.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have had the same problem from the get-go
It can be very dangerous if you try to make a quick k-turn or any quick maneuver because it doesn't respond at first and then jerks forward
if they fixed it for you please respond
I do notice it's a bit slow to shift gear. Especially when you slow down for a red and it changes to green before you coming to a complete stop, the delay between you press the gas and the car changing gear and accelerating is long compare to other cars.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts