Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even in "Sport" mode, acceleration on my new Passport 2019 (Canadian Touring trim, equivalent to US Elite) feels quite weak, and when releasing gas/re-accelerating the transmission sometimes shifts with some delay or bad timing..

Has anyone noticed this? Is that normal behavior with the new/supposedly "improved" ZF transmission ?

Paradoxically my old Odyssey 2008 minivan (V6 engine, 241 hp, 242 lb.-ft. torque, 5-speed automatic transmission) seems to have a lot more "oomph" when departing from a red light, and doesn't chronically mis-shift..

Marc

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Elite takes off like a bat-out-of-hell!

BA

Reactions: Gooddealguy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Even in "Sport" mode, acceleration on my new Passport 2019 (Canadian Touring trim, equivalent to US Elite) feels quite weak, and when releasing gas/re-accelerating the transmission sometimes shifts with some delay or bad timing..

Has anyone noticed this? Is that normal behavior with the new/supposedly "improved" ZF transmission ?

Paradoxically my old Odyssey 2008 minivan (V6 engine, 241 hp, 242 lb.-ft. torque, 5-speed automatic transmission) seems to have a lot more "oomph" when departing from a red light, and doesn't chronically mis-shift..

Marc
My Touring has excellent acceleration. Is it possible you are in Econ mode, which might impact acceleration?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also have a Canadian touring trim, and here are my observations. Note that I don't have eco mode or auto-idle enabled during my tests.

In sport mode, overall acceleration is very fast, and downshifting is pretty quick. No problem there.

In normal mode (D), acceleration is again very fast from still to highway speed, but the downshifting takes way more time when pressing the gas pedal when cruising. The transmission just doesn't downshift "enough" initially, and takes some time to figure out how low it needs to go. After some tests, I think flooring the gas pedal helps.

Another thing that bothers me with the normal mode is that when I have to slow down to almost still and then re-accelerate (typically at a stop sign), the engine would rev up, but nothing happens. Then after a second it feels like the transmission finally engages and the car thrust forward. This doesn't happen in sport mode where the transmission engages immediately. I don't know if that's what you're referring to when you talk about "delay" or "bad timing".

I don't want to keep driving in sport mode as it consumes more gas. I think the normal mode is mostly fine. If I want more fun and responsiveness I would definitely switch to S.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would have your Passport checked by the dealer. This is the polar opposite of what several in the forum have experienced. Mine shifts on a dime without issue and takes off quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried another Passport at the dealer.. acceleration was also soft, with shifting just as perceptible and often awkward.. I just can't believe the old 2008 Odyssey 5-speed transmission performs better than this new 9-speed "revised" ZF !

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was driving a 5 speed auto Rav 4 v6. Since there were only 5 gears, the transmission never "waste" time deciding which is the right one, and that v6 had plenty of power to get the car moving fast.

The 9 speed on the passport starts in 2nd gear in normal mode, and 1st gear in sport mode. That may explain some "softness".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is a noticeable lag between the moment foot pushes the pedal and the engine/transmission reacts.

It seems this problem is not new and is also present on the Pilot, see for example:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-honda-pilot-first-drive-tweaked-not-transformed-1420702650020/

"However, while passing, I found the transmission still falls flat. A quick punch of the accelerator pedal is met with delay, and the transmission never seems to grab the right gear the first time. It ends up feeling like a one-or two-second delay. It's an unfortunate bit of discordance with the rest of the Pilot's pretty good and very smooth driving experience."

and

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/157739-acceleration-problem.html

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/11...-pilot-exl-2017-acceleration.html#post1332866

·
Registered
183 Posts

Marc
Why do you need oomph when departing a red light? In a hurry?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The topic here is the lack of acceleration / poor transmission reaction time, not being in a hurry or not at a traffic light.

The same issue is present when driving on highway or any road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Service dept test drove it and confirmed the lag but says it is "normal".

Second Passport at the dealer behaves exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts