Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something odd yesterday, I had to park in a different underground parking garage that had a steep hill going down. I couldn’t reach the room key scanner and had to put my passport in park to open the door. When I went from park to drive on that hill there was a very awful noise in the shift? Does that seem normal?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I believe that the noise is due to the brakes operating with the "Hill Start Assist System". I think there was another thread on this strange noise. I've noticed the brake noise with the slight incline on my driveway. From the Owner's Manual (page 457). This also results in a slight delay before the car starts to roll.

Capture.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting - that could be it. the noise sounded extremely painful to my vehicle...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Could be the parking pawl in the transmission. (A transmission parking pawl is a metal pawl (or pin) that engages a notched ring that is attached to the transmission's output shaft when the transmission shifter lever is placed in the "P" Park position)

I don't think you did any damage, but back in the day they were made to make an awful loud "ratcheting" sound if you put vehicle in park while still rolling, until the vehicle slowed enough to actually engage park and lock the wheels. Sounds like the small electric solenoid our vehicles use to change gears on our electronic shifter was straining to pull that pin to re-engage Drive or reverse.
On steep hills (nose up or down) it is recommended you use the park brake (even in a parking garage). It will allow trans to engage and disengage park without a huge load on the trans. Do you ever remember parking on a steep grade with auto transmissions in the older vehicles? Sometimes you couldn't get the vehicle out of park or had to use both hands/arms to unlock the trans. Same situation here.
Hope that might help you. If it continues to make weird noises, best to take it into Honda for a check up.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be the parking pawl in the transmission. (A transmission parking pawl is a metal pawl (or pin) that engages a notched ring that is attached to the transmission's output shaft when the transmission shifter lever is placed in the "P" Park position)

I don't think you did any damage, but back in the day they were made to make an awful loud "ratcheting" sound if you put vehicle in park while still rolling, until the vehicle slowed enough to actually engage park and lock the wheels. Sounds like the small electric solenoid our vehicles use to change gears on our electronic shifter was straining to pull that pin to re-engage Drive or reverse.
On steep hills (nose up or down) it is recommended you use the park brake (even in a parking garage). It will allow trans to engage and disengage park without a huge load on the trans. Do you ever remember parking on a steep grade with auto transmissions in the older vehicles? Sometimes you couldn't get the vehicle out of park or had to use both hands/arms to unlock the trans. Same situation here.
Hope that might help you. If it continues to make weird noises, best to take it into Honda for a check up.
Thanks. Unfortunately, my Passport is now parked in San Jose until I drive to Burbank on the 13th, then home on the 26th so no time to take it anywhere in my 4 hours of daily sleep. I just hope this is what happened...

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,821 Posts
I also agree with Dro's explanation, nothing to worry about.

Blame Gravity...

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I also agree with Dro's explanation, nothing to worry about.

Blame Gravity...
here's hoping...I only know still in the parking garage by checking my app...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Anytime you park on a hill you should set your parking brake before letting your foot off the brake pedal. If you let your foot off the brake pedal before setting the parking brake, or don’t set the parking brake at all, the transmission will have that loud clunk when shifting from park to drive. It is normal but probably better to avoid so just remember to set the parking brake before you take your foot off the brake pedal.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anytime you park on a hill you should set your parking brake before letting your foot off the brake pedal. If you let your foot off the brake pedal before setting the parking brake, or don’t set the parking brake at all, the transmission will have that loud clunk when shifting from park to drive. It is normal but probably better to avoid so just remember to set the parking brake before you take your foot off the brake pedal.
Agree. If nothing else but to relieve the huge weight load on the trans lock. Like I said before, I remember there were times I was literally hanging on the shift lever on the steering column because I didn't use the park brake or bump a tire on a curb to get the torque stress off the trans on a steep hill.

·
Registered
154 Posts
YES! Use the PARKING brake, that is what it is for. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts