Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what other owners experiences are with paint quality and durability, especially scratch and chip resistance. Just bought an AWD Touring and am considering paint protection film for the front half.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I feel like any paint is prone to chipping and scratches. The paint industry is changing most people are doing water borne paints now as apposed to urethane. When we got our Passport, i had it ceramic coated to help it from getting defects and stains in the clear coat and was given a 7 year warranty on the paint, everything is covered except physical damage. I'm considering clear bra for the front nose of the vehicle, she mainly uses it for commuting to work, but it's now our go to travel vehicle so it's seen more highway miles than miles she's commuted to work in it. If you're worried about chips and scratches i'd find a good tint and wrap guy and do it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have never had a problem with Honda paint. I recently sold a Mazda that was black in color. I believe every rock hitting the paint left a chip. Dr. Colorchip was a life saver. My 2006 Honda S2000 has very few rock chips. I have owned 5 Hondas and never had a problem with chips nor did I ever have a clear bra.

Much may depend on where you life. In Montana, the roads are 'sanded' with chips rather than sand. We don't winter here.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
Curious what other owners experiences are with paint quality and durability, especially scratch and chip resistance. Just bought an AWD Touring and am considering paint protection film for the front half.
my 2006 CRV was mauled with rock chips. So I put the Xpel paint protection film on my Passport. So far so good. I just have a tiny rock chip in the front windshield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 civic and 2020 passport and both have the full front covered with SunTek Ultra PPF. I am not sure about the Passport paint yet but the Civic paint sucks. I had a bird dropping on it for less than 12 hours and it left a mark in the clear (had to use my DA to remove it). That was after a full paint correction and wax job three weeks prior. I detail my cars quite regularly and now used a Turtlewax Hybrid ceramic wax that seems to hold up a log longer that traditional waxes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually just noticed that I have several small chips in the paint near the tailgate button. I am wondering if I am allowed to put anything in the trunk. I have only had the car 2 and a half months

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not certain I understand your comment of "not allowed to put anything in the trunk". Please explain.
@elder prep I have only put one thing in the cargo area. I am 100% positive I didn't rest anything on the rear bumper and, not my knowledge, I haven't leaned on it with a zipper or anything but I all of a sudden have chipped paint where the button is to lift the tailgate.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There is an OEM rear bumper applique available from Honda. Or you can buy clear 3M film on Amazon and do it yourself. That is what I did to try to prevent what you experienced. I also bought a grey thick mat at Costco for $14 that fits really well in the cargo area. If I am loading more "hazardous" materials than groceries, I just pull the mat back a bit to cover the bumper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does Honda have any warranties on paint. I just noticed a sizeable spot on the hood of my Passport towards the windshield where it looks like the paint is starting to peel off. It's only a 2019.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I believe paint is a 12 month type of warranty. Dr Colorchip is your friend as I mentioned in an earlier post.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1st of all your color is not the one which is susceptible to peeling (White).
Prepare yourself, before to talk the the Honda Regional Service Director.
Talk to a body shop (not the cheap ones) about the cause, estimate, and how much of the hood has to be repainted.
Then call the Honda Service Manager and ask him/her who their boss is. That person can look it over and you can ask them their title and who there boss is if they don't agree with the body shop estimate.
Now here is the very bad news. When they agree to have it painted, they will send you to one of those cheap body shops and not the one they use themselves.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
What makes you think so?

I have never as in absolutely never had our Honda dealer send my vehicle somewhere else for warranty service or out of warranty service for that matter. Honda takes car of Honda vehicles with Honda OEM parts, Honda OEM fluids, and Honda OEM paint all done by certified Honda technicians.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
336 Posts
What makes you think so?

I have never as in absolutely never had our Honda dealer send my vehicle somewhere else for warranty service or out of warranty service for that matter. Honda takes car of Honda vehicles with Honda OEM parts, Honda OEM fluids, and Honda OEM paint all done by certified Honda technicians.
I highly doubt dealerships do their own bodywork and painting anymore. With very strict EPA regulations, a dealer would need a paint booth, filtered exhaust system, change the many filters along the inside of the booth, have an exterior collection/filter system, and then pay to have those filters properly disposed of, and maintain disposal receipts. Not to mention routine inspections. It’s just not worth it. They usually contract with a local shop or two for this work.

Regarding the hood repainting, the whole hood would need to be repainted.

·
Registered
2019 Touring, White Diamond Pearl
23 Posts
1st of all your color is not the one which is susceptible to peeling (White).
From every article I read, the Honda 'white' problem was limited to White Orchid Pearl (NH-788P), affecting mainly 2015-2018 Honda Fit, 2016-2018 HR-V, and Honda extended the warranty on the paint for an additional 7 years on those models.

Our Passports are painted White Diamond Pearl (NH-603P) . . . haven't noted reports regarding paint problems with Passports in white or any other color.
If mine develops any symptoms, I will definitely be vocal about it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Honda dealer bought the body shop that they would send cars to if an insurance company was paying. That body shop got a new name and it is the same as my dealers name.
I had a paint defect under my clear coat on my hood called crow's feet.
I got an estimate from their shop of $2200. I shopped around and 2 other shops said that the paint was factory defective. I went to the dealer and got a run around.
That's when I got the Honda District Regional Service Manager involved. He said to take it to one specific shop and it wasn't theirs. I asked if I could go elsewhere and he said no.
I knew that I would never be happy, with the work.
When I picked the car up, I saw the bill was $1,200. I sold the car the next spring, just around tax return time.
Call up a couple of Honda or Acura dealers, talk to their Service Dept and find out which body shop they recommend. Go to those and get an estimate, then ask Honda to fix the paint.

·
Registered
200 Posts
From every article I read, the Honda 'white' problem was limited to White Orchid Pearl (NH-788P), affecting mainly 2015-2018 Honda Fit, 2016-2018 HR-V, and Honda extended the warranty on the paint for an additional 7 years on those models.

Our Passports are painted White Diamond Pearl (NH-603P) . . . haven't noted reports regarding paint problems with Passports in white or any other color.
If mine develops any symptoms, I will definitely be vocal about it.
I opened the hood and dug my thumb nail in and scrapped off a dime sized section, over by the battery. I bought some touch up and covered that dime sized gray primer.
The white paint inside the engine bay doesn't look like the pearl on the body, but I think that it's just the lighting.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
I highly doubt dealerships do their own bodywork and painting anymore. With very strict EPA regulations, a dealer would need a paint booth, filtered exhaust system, change the many filters along the inside of the booth, have an exterior collection/filter system, and then pay to have those filters properly disposed of, and maintain disposal receipts. Not to mention routine inspections. It’s just not worth it. They usually contract with a local shop or two for this work.

Regarding the hood repainting, the whole hood would need to be repainted.
Seriously, you think dealerships don’t have their own body shops? What third world country are you thinking of possibly buying a vehicle from. Every dealership in this city has their own body shop. Every body shop has paint booths as painting a repaired body is part of the process.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
336 Posts
I’ve been in plenty of service departments/bays and haven’t seen paint booths. It’s a lot of wasted floor space for the occasional body job. Doesn’t make fiscal sense.

My brother owns a tractor trailer sales and service business, and had a paint booth to paint trailers. The ongoing costs incurred are crazy. Especially considering permits, EPA inspections, renewals, etc.

I wouldn’t trust the body work done at a dealership. I cringe when they just change the oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts