Honda Passport Forum banner

Opinion on Michelin X-Ice Snow Tires

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DudeCS 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi friends - for my 2021 PP Touring I purchased a used set of Ridgeline OEM 2019 18" wheels and ordered Michelin X-Ice snow tires 245/60R18. Have not installed the tires and can still change my mind. Also considered Bridgestone -Blizzak V2 tires. Will only have these tires on seasonally and will probably go back the OEM PP 20" wheels/tires during the other months.

I don't need snow and ice super hard core (e.g. lots of off road, constant snow and icy roads), and am instead seeking reliable winter tires for dry pavement and snow/ice.

Based on reviews the Michelin X-Ice seems like a solution as they are reported as good performers for dry and excellent snow/ice travel. Also like the 40K treadwear warranty.

I am interested in anyone's experience/opinion using these tires, the similar Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (or Xi2), or the Bridgestone Blizzak's.

Thank you for sharing - this forum is a great source of information.

#2 ·
I have a set of Ridgeline wheels with Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (Xi3 is the newer version). If you do not experience extreme winter conditions, like Canada, the X-Ice tires are very good for winter traction, comfort and handling. Blizzak or others may have more aggressive tread pattern, but that is offset by increased tread noise, decreased comfort and less precise handling. This winter will be my third season with them. I can get away with all-season tires in my immediate area, but we travel throughout the country and have to account for severe weather conditions.

What area is your location?

#3 · (Edited)
Mostly in Idaho (Sun Valley area), also Oregon. A few significant mountain passes to worry about and an occasional epic dump or ice event. However, we will be driving on well maintained roads.

For my Subie Outback I purchased AutoSock's a few years ago (that's the brand name - if you google their website or shop Amazaon) They are amazing and a great "get-out of jail" card to have in the cargo area. I have no idea how they work, but they grip in snow, ice and are easy to install. Just need to drive much slower - rated max 30MPH. May add these for an extreme need, however, may not be necessary with premium snow tires.

Thanks for the reply - aligns what I have read elsewhere on both the Michelins and Blizzak's. Much appreciated!

#4 ·
On one trip during the winter, we were headed south from Portland to Death Valley by way of Mount Hood. Our plans quickly changed when our sunroof shattered and we had to make a beeline for home to the east coast. The weather did not cooperate for us and we hit a major snow storm with unplowed roads through mid-eastern Oregon into Boise. Beautiful rural roads and scenery. The blizzard made it a real challenge and a long day, but we maintained traction with good driving sense and the X-Ice.

#6 ·
I had two sets of blizzaks on my Infiniti FX and then the X Ice. I’m in CO and split time between front range and MTS. Blizzaks hydroplane on slushy roads but do better in deeper snow than X. The X ride better, wear linger and are much better at channeling water away. It’s a better I70 tire IMHO. However, the defender LTX approached snow abilities of both tires.

I’m planning on putting the X ice on some 18s - because I have them and it makes more sense than $300 tires on the 20s.

#7 · (Edited)
Had my new Michelin X-Ice tires 245/60R18 installed on a set of used 2019 OEM Ridgeline wheels that are in great shape. Purchased tires from CostCo. Very happy with the service. The TPS's synced right up. It has been raining like hell in Portland and the tires are handling great. Maybe a little more road noise than the Conti's, but not by much.

Can't wait to take the PP on snow...

Thanks everyone who offered advice on 18 wheels and snow tires.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.