Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I am the owner of a 2017 Honda CRV EXL AWD less than 29K miles. I am considering trading it for a 2020 PP EXL AWD. My CRV is nearly paid off so I have quite a bit of positive equity. Why would I want to go for a PP? I am a little worried about the longevity of the 1.5L turbo and although it's adequate, the CVT is a bit of a buzzkill. For practical reasons, the CRV makes more sense for an owner like me, single, no kids, short commute to work and don't have to haul/tow anything or carry passengers regularly. However, with the PP the attraction is that proven awesome V6/ 9speed trans and even more space than the CRV, although fuel economy certainly won't be as good! I would love to hear from others about what they would do in my shoes and especially those who traded from a 5th gen CRV. Thanks everyone!

· Registered
543 Posts
I just got a 2020 PP EX-L at the end of September. Also have a 14 Accord V6 and wife has a 15 CRV Touring. Last week the CVT acted up at 5.5 years and 60k miles. This was our third CRV the other two an 02 and an 09 were pretty good. The 09 did need a steering rack that was covered under Hondacare. Turns out the CVT on the 15 needed replacement a $4,300 job that was covered under Hondacare. We were given a 2020 CRV ex loaner and it was a vast improvement over the 2015. I'm familiar with the oil dilution issues and the slow heating up It was in the 40's and 30's at night when I used it and I don't see the CRV heating up the cabin very well and quickly when it gets really cold. We always got CRV's because they are good in the snow have tons of utility and are great to pass down to the kids. However, as much as I liked the 2020 EX CRV I don't see it going the long haul. IMO it's not necessary to put a turbo on a tiny engine to gain miniscule fuel economy and having to worry about all that tech going the distance. I also don't like they way CVT's operate. We'll probably go for a RAV4 hybrid, gas RAV4 or a Highlander, depending on the deal.

Now as far as the Passport goes, IMO a V6 takes a Honda to a whole different level of refinement. The 9 speed is not great but the powertrain is still a decent package. Is it the best choice for you, probably not but if you have one ounce of enthusiast in you a Honda V6 is the way to go. Keep in mind that the PP is high, heavy and wide and those unnecessary low profile tires/wheels will be easily scratched up by the first curb you hit.. When those 20 inch tires wear out they will be expensive to replace. It will also need a timing belt job when it gets up to the 7 or 8 year mark and 100k miles or so. That's like a 1-2k job at the stealerhsip. Also the 9 speed fluid changes can be expensive at the dealer. (not familiar with a DIY process on it) and it also has a transfer case that will have its fluid changed at the same time as the trans. The question is do you want to drive an appliance or something that's more enjoyable. IMO, I'm going to stay away from turbos and as V6's die off vehicles like the RAV4 prime will be the way to go.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
My Wife drove a new 07 CRV, EXL AWD. Loved it.
Traded it in on a new 2014 CRV AWD.
Loved it.
She too thought she would want a little more power and room.
She drove the 2020 Passport and it was all over.
She loves her new PP. EXL AWD.

I'd just test drive a couple. The V6 will give you much more without ever reving it. So it should last a long long time.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got a 2020 PP EX-L at the end of September. Also have a 14 Accord V6 and wife has a 15 CRV Touring. Last week the CVT acted up at 5.5 years and 60k miles. This was our third CRV the other two an 02 and an 09 were pretty good. The 09 did need a steering rack that was covered under Hondacare. Turns out the CVT on the 15 needed replacement a $4,300 job that was covered under Hondacare. We were given a 2020 CRV ex loaner and it was a vast improvement over the 2015. I'm familiar with the oil dilution issues and the slow heating up It was in the 40's and 30's at night when I used it and I don't see the CRV heating up the cabin very well and quickly when it gets really cold. We always got CRV's because they are good in the snow have tons of utility and are great to pass down to the kids. However, as much as I liked the 2020 EX CRV I don't see it going the long haul. IMO it's not necessary to put a turbo on a tiny engine to gain miniscule fuel economy and having to worry about all that tech going the distance. I also don't like they way CVT's operate. We'll probably go for a RAV4 hybrid, gas RAV4 or a Highlander, depending on the deal.

Now as far as the Passport goes, IMO a V6 takes a Honda to a whole different level of refinement. The 9 speed is not great but the powertrain is still a decent package. Is it the best choice for you, probably not but if you have one ounce of enthusiast in you a Honda V6 is the way to go. Keep in mind that the PP is high, heavy and wide and those unnecessary low profile tires/wheels will be easily scratched up by the first curb you hit.. When those 20 inch tires wear out they will be expensive to replace. It will also need a timing belt job when it gets up to the 7 or 8 year mark and 100k miles or so. That's like a 1-2k job at the stealerhsip. Also the 9 speed fluid changes can be expensive at the dealer. (not familiar with a DIY process on it) and it also has a transfer case that will have its fluid changed at the same time as the trans. The question is do you want to drive an appliance or something that's more enjoyable. IMO, I'm going to stay away from turbos and as V6's die off vehicles like the RAV4 prime will be the way to go.
Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. You've certainly given me a lot of food for thought as far as long-term cost of ownership with the Passport. I've owned one Honda in the past with a V6. It was a 99 Accord and I loved that car! You are so correct about the level of refinement and smoothness the V6 brings to the table. Accelerating and cruising feels effortless and serene compared to a 4 cyl. Funny you should mention hybrids. I am considering going the hybrid route as well. When I heard Honda was going to come out with a hybrid CRV at first I was excited. (No more small turbo engine and CVT to worry about) However, I didn't like the fact that cargo space was reduced and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of not having a spare. Also, the real bummer to me was the fact that Honda kept the same, laggy infotainment system as before, when a much better system is available and in use in the Accord and Odyssey. So, I am even thinking of going back to a sedan again (2021 Honda Accord Hybrid) or maybe even taking a look at the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. (Can't deny Toyota has a lot more experience with manufacturing hybrids!)

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Wife drove a new 07 CRV, EXL AWD. Loved it.
Traded it in on a new 2014 CRV AWD.
Loved it.
She too thought she would want a little more power and room.
She drove the 2020 Passport and it was all over.
She loves her new PP. EXL AWD.

I'd just test drive a couple. The V6 will give you much more without ever reving it. So it should last a long long time.
Hey Moab Junky! I haven't test driven the Passport yet. That is probably the next logical step. I have owned quite a few Hondas. A 1999 Accord V6, 2009 Honda Civic, 2008 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda Accord, and my current 2017 Honda CRV. I think Honda makes a great V6, but I know that the emphasis nowadays is better fuel economy. I wouldn't say I love my CRV, it's a fine vehicle and does what I need with a minimum of fuss. A great appliance, you could say. But I do wish it had more power (I'm leery of that 1.5L turbo long-term). A little more space would be nice too, just because I like the feeling of openness.

· Registered
2019 Sport Silver
456 Posts
Is it a want or a need? I say go for it! It's a big, delicious mid sized SUV. You want economy? Go hybrid and entertain a Toyota. There is nothing wrong w/ your 1.5L turbo, take care of it, it'll last. I'm single, have a short commute, tow nothing, but can if I want to, absolutely love the space and tote a girlfriend and her daughter about regularly. I love my passport. I got it cause I wanted it. It was absolutely a want and not a need, no regrets.

· Registered
543 Posts
Carpaymebtsforlife in convinced prices will come down even more shortly. I think the sweet spot is an EX-L it's the minimum trim to get the blind spot monitoring and the upgraded radio. I was quoted in the 35's for a 2020 EX-L. There is a $1k loyalty rebate available now. I doubt you would want a Sport with the base radio. The Sport for 2021 has the upgraded radio but not blind spot. The price went up by 600 is to get the radio but now Honda is charging more for certain colors on the 2021's that's why a 2020 EX-L is a good sweet spot right now. Good luck to you.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
Definitely consider getting rid of that oil diluting turbo.
Wait another 10 days and see if the current Honda incentives of $3,800 to $4,054, which expire October 22nd, are replaced with higher discounts, like last Oct.
I guessed that you have 36,000 miles on your 2017 CR-v EX-l AWD, so here are the Blackbook numbers:
VIN + UVC:
2HKRW2H8H155
MSRP:
$30,495
Finance Advance:
$23,025
Model#:
RW2H8HJNW
Price Incl:
AC
Mileage Cat:
D
Weight:
Wheelbase:
Base HP:
190 @ 5600
Taxable HP:
Tire Size:
235/60R18
Drive Train:
AWD
Transmission:
A
Fuel Type:
Gas
Cylinders:

Black Book Retail as of 10/19/2020
Extra Clean
Clean
Average
Rough
Base
$26,125
$24,600
$22,625
$21,000
Options
$0
$0
$0
$0
Mileage
$400
$800
$1,175
$1,400
Total
$26,525
$25,400
$23,800
$22,400

Black Book Trade-In as of 10/19/2020
Clean
Average
Rough
Base
$22,005
$20,710
$17,740
Options
$0
$0
$0
Mileage
$800
$1,175
$1,400
Total
$22,805
$21,885
$19,140

Reactions: Wingsconsin

· Registered
26 Posts
We have a 2019 PP Elite that we bought new about 16 months ago...it’s now got about 20,000 miles on it. We have been happy with it, and even after 20,000 miles with it we would still make the same decision again to replace our previous car (2017 Forester).

The Passport’s engine and transmission are terrific, particularly when towing, and the gas mileage has been impressive (avg low 20s in mixed driving, 24-26 on the highway). The seats are comfortable and there a ton of features and conveniences. Compared to our most recent previous cars...the Forester, a Ridgeline, an Element...the Passport is the most satisfying.

There are a few negatives. The infotainment system is really glitchy ... it’s been a real weak area...and the “sensing” safety features need some serious refinement. we have had a few build quality related issues that have needed to be addressed. Compared to our previous Honda’s (and my 2018 Honda Clarity, which we also have), the Alabama built Honda is not up to the standard we have come to expect. Also, I think we may replace the 20” wheels and tires with 18” wheels to improve the ride a bit and make the car a little more “off-road worthy” as the sidewalks don’t offer much protection in rocks.

Still, we do love the Passport and its been a great camping partner for us.

· 2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,863 Posts
Hello Inthe253, while I can't directly compare the Passport to a CRV, there are plenty of PP owners (on this site) who moved up from CRV's and I don't recall a single one of them saying they wished they'd still had their CRV. However, I can compare the to a few previous vehicles; it blows away the 1998 4Runner we had for 17 years and the 2009 Venza we had for 5 years! Both of those were primarily driven by my wife, who now drives a Lexus RX350, but really likes driving my Passport every chance she gets!

The CRV and the RAV4 are entry-level SUVs and neither is built as well as the Passport, even thought a loaded RAV4 is priced in the high $30k range! The major complaint about the current RAV4 is excessive engine noise, from owners and from professional reviewers. I saw a review the other day (Car & Driver - if I recall correctly) that ranked the current RAV4 in FOURTH place behind the other comparable small-sized SUVs on the market! And, another thing that I have not seen anyone else bring up - the fact that the new RAV4 has a redesigned 4-cyl engine that operates at a Compression Ratio of approx. 14 -this is super high and with high compression comes high heat (and Noise) and I am not convinced that this hi-comp engine will continue Toyota's reputation of 200k mile engines.

Lastly, I strongly recommend NOT getting an EX-L model, if you get a lot on your trade and the payments fit, go for the Touring Model, especially if you feel that you are going to keep it for a while...

Cheers and let us know what you finally do...

Reactions: Werlyb23

· Registered
1,029 Posts
I picked the Touring, because of its insulated windshield. The 2021 EX-L gets the 8" infotainment screen, but I don't know if it gets the quieter windshield.

Reactions: stevenD

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Wait another 10 days and see if the current Honda incentives of $3,800 to $4,054, which expire October 22nd, are replaced with higher discounts, like last Oct.
I guessed that you have 36,000 miles on your 2017 CR-v EX-l AWD, so here are the Blackbook numbers:
VIN + UVC:
2HKRW2H8H155
MSRP:
$30,495
Finance Advance:
$23,025
Model#:
RW2H8HJNW
Price Incl:
AC
Mileage Cat:
D
Weight:
Wheelbase:
Base HP:
190 @ 5600
Taxable HP:
Tire Size:
235/60R18
Drive Train:
AWD
Transmission:
A
Fuel Type:
Gas
Cylinders:

Extra Clean
Clean
Average
Rough
Base
$26,125
$24,600
$22,625
$21,000
Options
$0
$0
$0
$0
Mileage
$400
$800
$1,175
$1,400
Total
$26,525
$25,400
$23,800
$22,400

Clean
Average
Rough
Base
$22,005
$20,710
$17,740
Options
$0
$0
$0
Mileage
$800
$1,175
$1,400
Total
$22,805
$21,885
$19,140
It's people like this guy, Carpaymentsforlife, who makes joining these forums worthwhile.
Props to you!!!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carpaymebtsforlife in convinced prices will come down even more shortly. I think the sweet spot is an EX-L it's the minimum trim to get the blind spot monitoring and the upgraded radio. I was quoted in the 35's for a 2020 EX-L. There is a $1k loyalty rebate available now. I doubt you would want a Sport with the base radio. The Sport for 2021 has the upgraded radio but not blind spot. The price went up by 600 is to get the radio but now Honda is charging more for certain colors on the 2021's that's why a 2020 EX-L is a good sweet spot right now. Good luck to you.
VIN + UVC:
2HKRW2H8H155
MSRP:
$30,495
Finance Advance:
$23,025
Model#:
RW2H8HJNW
Price Incl:
AC
Mileage Cat:
D
Weight:
Wheelbase:
Base HP:
190 @ 5600
Taxable HP:
Tire Size:
235/60R18
Drive Train:
AWD
Transmission:
A
Fuel Type:
Gas
Cylinders:

Extra Clean
Clean
Average
Rough
Base
$26,125
$24,600
$22,625
$21,000
Options
$0
$0
$0
$0
Mileage
$400
$800
$1,175
$1,400
Total
$26,525
$25,400
$23,800
$22,400

Clean
Average
Rough
Base
$22,005
$20,710
$17,740
Options
$0
$0
$0
Mileage
$800
$1,175
$1,400
Total
$22,805
$21,885
$19,140
Thanks for all the data. Definitely gives me a better idea of what I can reasonably expect to get for my CRV. I am definitely keeping my eye out on pricing for the Passport. I know with the end of 2020 drawing near dealers will be wanting to move some metal. The only drawback is that 2020 inventory is dwindling and 2021 Passports have already hit the lots and my choices may become somewhat limited.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have a 2019 PP Elite that we bought new about 16 months ago...it’s now got about 20,000 miles on it. We have been happy with it, and even after 20,000 miles with it we would still make the same decision again to replace our previous car (2017 Forester).

The Passport’s engine and transmission are terrific, particularly when towing, and the gas mileage has been impressive (avg low 20s in mixed driving, 24-26 on the highway). The seats are comfortable and there a ton of features and conveniences. Compared to our most recent previous cars...the Forester, a Ridgeline, an Element...the Passport is the most satisfying.

There are a few negatives. The infotainment system is really glitchy ... it’s been a real weak area...and the “sensing” safety features need some serious refinement. we have had a few build quality related issues that have needed to be addressed. Compared to our previous Honda’s (and my 2018 Honda Clarity, which we also have), the Alabama built Honda is not up to the standard we have come to expect. Also, I think we may replace the 20” wheels and tires with 18” wheels to improve the ride a bit and make the car a little more “off-road worthy” as the sidewalks don’t offer much protection in rocks.

Still, we do love the Passport and its been a great camping partner for us.
Glad to hear you're loving your Passport! I know that the Passport doesn't get near the gas mileage of the CRV, but I imagine for anyone who enjoys driving in the slightest that V6 engine would be sure to induce grins! I've heard some of the 19 Passports had glitchy infotainment systems, is that still the case with yours or did your system get updates? I think I would be fine with 20" wheels and tires as I don't plan on going off-road.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked the Touring, because of its insulated windshield. The 2021 EX-L gets the 8" infotainment screen, but I don't know if it gets the quieter windshield.
I believe on the 2020s the Touring has the acoustic windshield and front side glass while the EXL has the acoustic windshield only. My guess is the same holds true for the 2021s.

· Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
3,009 Posts
Have you test drove the Passport yet?

That’s what 100% sold me from a CRV.
The engine power was like a Pinto to Lamborghini for me...(ok, maybe not that extreme).
It also rides so quiet and unlike any of my many Honda’s.

Like you, I also don’t have any humans or furry friends to tote around and justify the size.
But I do take some very long work trips, last year was about 4 months until I was home, and I can fill it with work gear and clothes!

If you can budget the change, take it for a drive and fall in 💙

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Inthe253, while I can't directly compare the Passport to a CRV, there are plenty of PP owners (on this site) who moved up from CRV's and I don't recall a single one of them saying they wished they'd still had their CRV. However, I can compare the to a few previous vehicles; it blows away the 1998 4Runner we had for 17 years and the 2009 Venza we had for 5 years! Both of those were primarily driven by my wife, who now drives a Lexus RX350, but really likes driving my Passport every chance she gets!

The CRV and the RAV4 are entry-level SUVs and neither is built as well as the Passport, even thought a loaded RAV4 is priced in the high $30k range! The major complaint about the current RAV4 is excessive engine noise, from owners and from professional reviewers. I saw a review the other day (Car & Driver - if I recall correctly) that ranked the current RAV4 in FOURTH place behind the other comparable small-sized SUVs on the market! And, another thing that I have not seen anyone else bring up - the fact that the new RAV4 has a redesigned 4-cyl engine that operates at a Compression Ratio of approx. 14 -this is super high and with high compression comes high heat (and Noise) and I am not convinced that this hi-comp engine will continue Toyota's reputation of 200k mile engines.

Lastly, I strongly recommend NOT getting an EX-L model, if you get a lot on your trade and the payments fit, go for the Touring Model, especially if you feel that you are going to keep it for a while...

Cheers and let us know what you finally do...
Hey stevenD. Very reassuring to hear nearly everyone who's gone from a CRV to a Passport had no regrets!

I agree with you on the RAV4. I have read a lot of reviews both professional and from owners stating how loud and gruff the gas engine is. The hybrid would definitely be we the way to go.

I'd like a Touring model, if I could get enough for my CRV and the payments fit. I like the extra luxury touches!

· Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
156 Posts
Due to some medical issues, I found myself in the situation of needing to trade out of my '19 Accord (1.5t w/CVT) into an SUV so that I can have easier ingress/egress. I considered both a CR-V EX-L and the Passport EX-L. Not only was the Passport WAY more comfortable and fun to drive than the CR-V, but the lease was only ~$40/mo more expensive, despite the nearly $8k sticker difference. Insurance was actually a hair cheaper on the Passport as well. It was an absolute no-brainer for me.

· 2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,863 Posts
The engine power was like a Pinto ....
LOL, my first car was a 71 Pinto.... (I rebuilt the engine and it was pretty darn fast, but a real POS...)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.