Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a full sized spare and there are lots of threads about how to store it. I'll likely get a hitch mount. But I'd like input on these questions.

1. Do you keep your full sized spare with you all the time? Seems overkill (and taking up room) for around town.

2. If you have full sized spare mounted do you remove the donut spare (I'd think so if you have it full time but what about for a weekend get away?) - have you tried storing other stuff in that donut hole?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Many owners rarely check the air pressure in their spare, which leads me to believe that they would want to store it and forget it.
The only practical solution is to modify a side rotation ladder rack to hold the 50 pound spare.
swing down youtube link

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many owners rarely check the air pressure in their spare, which leads me to believe that they would want to store it and forget it.
The only practical solution is to modify a side rotation ladder rack to hold the 50 pound spare.
swing down youtube link
That item is pretty slick but is for a panel van not an SUV. And not for tire though it may be adapted. Maybe. Have you done it?

·
Registered
530 Posts
How about this, for an SUV, as a starting point?
Thule

Reactions: linkdude64

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a RigDSupply Ultraswing hitch carrier on the way, and depending on how well it looks/works, I will go with:

Plan A:
  • Carry full-size spare on Ultraswing daily
  • Remove donut to lighten weight, and use the empty space
OR

Plan B:
  • Carry full-size spare on Ultraswing only during trips away from home
  • Leave donut in for around town, because for my 255 tires that are only .4” taller than stock, I’m confident I can use it in a pinch around town to get home to my full-size spare without damage, and can always air down the other 3 tires some to reduce that little .2” and match the stock height, if it just makes me feel better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a RigDSupply Ultraswing hitch carrier on the way, and depending on how well it looks/works, I will go with:

Plan A:
  • Carry full-size spare on Ultraswing daily
  • Remove donut to lighten weight, and use the empty space
OR

Plan B:
  • Carry full-size spare on Ultraswing only during trips away from home
  • Leave donut in for around town, because for my 255 tires that are only .4” taller than stock, I’m confident I can use it in a pinch around town to get home to my full-size spare without damage, and can always air down the other 3 tires some to reduce that little .2” and match the stock height, if it just makes me feel better.
Sounds about like my plan. Let me know how it goes once you get your Ultraswing. And I'd love to see some pics of it installed on your rig too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
So I have a full sized spare and there are lots of threads about how to store it. I'll likely get a hitch mount. But I'd like input on these questions.

1. Do you keep your full sized spare with you all the time? Seems overkill (and taking up room) for around town.

2. If you have full sized spare mounted do you remove the donut spare (I'd think so if you have it full time but what about for a weekend get away?) - have you tried storing other stuff in that donut hole?
I never remove my donut and only carry my spare when I go on a long trip.

I ditch it with out of town family and friends and put it back on for the journey home. Super easy sliding it in and out of hitch.

20210121_164725.jpg

Reactions: linkdude64

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I ditch it with out of town family and friends and put it back on for the journey home. Super easy sliding it in and out of hitch.
What slides in and out of hitch easily?

·
Registered
631 Posts

The perspective on this photo makes your spare tire look HUGE compared to your vehicle. :ROFLMAO: Ready for some serious off-road adventures? ;)

·
Registered
857 Posts
The perspective on this photo makes your spare tire look HUGE compared to your vehicle. :ROFLMAO: Ready for some serious off-road adventures? ;)
Ya, it does look gigantic, lol

Reactions: DudeCS

·
Registered
857 Posts
Around here blocking your license plate will get a ticket.........
Never been pulled over for obstructing a plate.
Pretty easy to take it off and fasten it to your spare tire.

Reactions: DudeCS
1 - 14 of 14 Posts