Honda Passport Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like fun, do Washington residents hate Californians like the Oregonians do? I mean is it safe to drive there with California plates or is it like having a bulls-eye on ya?

LOL
I don't know that Police has the resources to track out of state visitors. I guess if you follow the state travel advisory you should be safe theoretically (Travelers & Commuters)

What are you experiencing in OR?

·
Registered
42 Posts
No lift kit, I have yet to take it off road. Seems a lot of pp and pilot owners in Seattle/snohomish area. We should do a meet up!
Maybe after the holidays? I would be interested to go do some snow riding at Snoqualmie pass. Or some other forest roads that are not too difficult. Where do you all go mild off-roading? I never been other than riding on the Kacheelus Lake Beach by the boat launch. It was a fun little area but I bet it is not accessible anymore due to snow.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,813 Posts
I don't know that Police has the resources to track out of state visitors. I guess if you follow the state travel advisory you should be safe theoretically (Travelers & Commuters)

What are you experiencing in OR?
Sounds like fun, do Washington residents hate Californians like the Oregonians do? I mean is it safe to drive there with California plates or is it like having a bulls-eye on ya?

LOL
When I was up in Coastal Oregon one year ago this week planning on relocating...a few locals told me to stop at the DMV and get new plates before parking in my future drive way with Californistan plates and never tell anyone I moved there from here...😭

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I was up in Coastal Oregon one year ago this week planning on relocating...a few locals told me to stop at the DMV and get new plates before parking in my future drive way with Californistan plates and never tell anyone I moved there from here...😭
Wow, that's a bit harsh. I don't remember hearing anything like this in Seattle area but I am not local myself, so I might be hanging with the expat crowd over here.

I guess I always heard the Californians show up with cash and buy all the real estate and drive up prices :) (it was true for Arizona but here in WA it was a trickle). I wonder if you moved to a conservative town? WA cities are very liberal, so you would fit in just fine but small towns are very much conservative, which could explain the reception you got. I think Oregon has a similar situation.

·
Super Moderator
1,813 Posts
Wow, that's a bit harsh. I don't remember hearing anything like this in Seattle area but I am not local myself, so I might be hanging with the expat crowd over here.

I guess I always heard the Californians show up with cash and buy all the real estate and drive up prices :) (it was true for Arizona but here in WA it was a trickle). I wonder if you moved to a conservative town? WA cities are very liberal, so you would fit in just fine but small towns are very much conservative, which could explain the reception you got. I think Oregon has a similar situation.
I was a little surprised too.

Sadly people can be very judgmental about Californians and they put us all in a negative demographic.
Even NoCal has a bad impression on SoCal people, most is because of the real estate as you mentioned, and they watch too much TV!

I usually am traveling all over for work and there is a lot of this across states. They don’t get that I work hard, jeez, I am extremely conservative and not rolling in the millions, I have only owned Honda vehicles...and just want a simple modest house for myself and a 2 car garage for my passport, and that I will have to finance at least 1/2 of it.

And I’m looking to get to Newport, Oregon. A little seaside fishing town with about 11,000 people.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was a little surprised too.

Sadly people can be very judgmental about Californians and they put us all in a negative demographic.
Even NoCal has a bad impression on SoCal people, most is because of the real estate as you mentioned, and they watch too much TV!

I usually am traveling all over for work and there is a lot of this across states. They don’t get that I work hard, jeez, I am extremely conservative and not rolling in the millions, I have only owned Honda vehicles...and just want a simple modest house for myself and a 2 car garage for my passport, and that I will have to finance at least 1/2 of it.

And I’m looking to get to Newport, Oregon. A little seaside fishing town with about 11,000 people.
Newport, OR is 50% democratic and voted democratic in the last 5 elections. I am a bit surprised. It is a small town though so it's natural to be skeptical about newcomers. I think people will warm up to you once they get to know you. I imagine you would be more at home there in a Subaru or an old truck but at least Honda Passport is not presumptuous. Good luck with the move. It's a beautiful part of the state and it's a quaint little town.

·
Super Moderator
1,813 Posts
Newport, OR is 50% democratic and voted democratic in the last 5 elections. I am a bit surprised. It is a small town though so it's natural to be skeptical about newcomers. I think people will warm up to you once they get to know you. I imagine you would be more at home there in a Subaru or an old truck but at least Honda Passport is not presumptuous. Good luck with the move. It's a beautiful part of the state and it's a quaint little town.
Yes...lot’s of Suby’s with no engine power up there! I even had one as a rental for 10 days. I thought I was going to roll backwards on a few small hills in the rain!

It was actually that way from everyone thru most of the coastal towns I stopped thru. And I was up there when there were very little tourists, 12/30/19-1/8/20, and Covid wasn’t a thing yet. I had to go up during the coldest and rainiest part of the year, and before I was back to work in full force 1/15.

Astoria was super noses up towards me.
Tilamook was the friendliest, but I think it’s so touristy. Newport was great, i was just forwarded not many like Californians?

I do hope to get there someday. It was in the budget and aligned for Fall 2020, but after losing all of my work since February 13th...I had to stay put. With no income, spending my savings on a house and moving was not smart. After seeing our industry won’t be back now until at least Q4 2021, I have been seriously looking at almost any job up there for a couple months, but that’s not easy yet alone during a pandemic! Hoping for an open position with the Lincoln City Courts. 🤞🏻

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
55 Posts
View attachment 8833
Maybe after the holidays? I would be interested to go do some snow riding at Snoqualmie pass. Or some other forest roads that are not too difficult. Where do you all go mild off-roading? I never been other than riding on the Kacheelus Lake Beach by the boat launch. It was a fun little area but I bet it is not accessible anymore due to snow.
Love the picture!
I'm down for a little off-roading as well, but nothing crazy. I'm still kinda of new to the area.
Sorry, to get off topic. I guess we should create a post with WA off-road trails.

I lived in Oregon for 3 years and we LOVED visiting Nye beach and Newport cafe has fantasist food! The drive from New Port to Florence down hwy101 is a great drive and there is a stop in Yachats that is absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another Snohomish County Passport here running KMC Bully Rims nevertheless!

Last week I swapped my 245/65R17 Falken Wildpeak Trail with 245/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W (P-XL Rated). Reason for switching was I wanted a more aggressive tire and gain 0.5" ground clearance as a bonus without trimming or rub.

I don't know if it is just me, but I like how the AT3W on the Passport much better.

I had put 1700 miles on the Trail tire before switching and have since added 600 miles on the AT3W. Being Seattle both tires have mostly seen wet pavement, dirt/gravel roads, snow & ice (in the mountain passes), dry roads not so much.

The Falken Trail had no noticeable road noise difference whatsoever from stock. Performed great in wet and snow/ice.

The AT3Ws depending on the road and speed can be significantly noticeable in road noise than the Trail tires. Some roads I would say it's much louder but tolerable, most roads it's just more noticeable growl. Deep snow performance is great and it does well in wet weather. Road feels a bit softer from having slightly more sidewall. Passport definitely seems like it needs more throttle, probably due to both the AT3Ws being 2lbs heavier and the thread pattern being more aggressive.

I would say the Trail feels like it handled deeper puddles on the highway better and was a little more grippier on some ice conditions than the AT3W. Deeper snow the AT3Ws shined and I'm sure it'll shine even more when I hit some muddier trails in the future.

If you're looking for a tire that does well in dirt/gravel roads/snow/ice and you are fine with the stock sizes, the Falken Wildpeak Trail is the way to go, it feels like a more rugged all season tire that stays quiet. Needing larger tires, more aggressive tread pattern for offroad/deeper snow (or just for show), go with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Protection should be the same for both as both are P rated with 2-ply sidewalls and 4 Ply rated. AT3Ws do offer the LT E rated tires if more protection is needed at the expense of significantly more weight and a less grippier compound as only P rated AT3Ws have a special silica compound similar to the Trail tire for better winter grip.

Hopefully this shines some light for those looking between these 2 tires instead of ending up with both like I did.

LOL
Some statistic like 60% of Seattle Metro were not born in Washington State, it's definitely a diverse place where people come from all over. Just don't drive like a Californian here and you'll be fine.

East of the cascades might be a different story lol

·
Registered
484 Posts

Last week I swapped my 245/65R17 Falken Wildpeak Trail with 245/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W (P-XL Rated). Reason for switching was I wanted a more aggressive tire and gain 0.5" ground clearance as a bonus without trimming or rub.

I don't know if it is just me, but I like how the AT3W on the Passport much better.
Love everything about it! They look bad azz too.
Thanks for taking the time to share. Great info.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite Lunar Silver Metallic/Black
21 Posts

I had put 1700 miles on the Trail tire before switching and have since added 600 miles on the AT3W. Being Seattle both tires have mostly seen wet pavement, dirt/gravel roads, snow & ice (in the mountain passes), dry roads not so much.

The Falken Trail had no noticeable road noise difference whatsoever from stock. Performed great in wet and snow/ice.

The AT3Ws depending on the road and speed can be significantly noticeable in road noise than the Trail tires. Some roads I would say it's much louder but tolerable, most roads it's just more noticeable growl. Deep snow performance is great and it does well in wet weather. Road feels a bit softer from having slightly more sidewall. Passport definitely seems like it needs more throttle, probably due to both the AT3Ws being 2lbs heavier and the thread pattern being more aggressive.

I would say the Trail feels like it handled deeper puddles on the highway better and was a little more grippier on some ice conditions than the AT3W. Deeper snow the AT3Ws shined and I'm sure it'll shine even more when I hit some muddier trails in the future.

If you're looking for a tire that does well in dirt/gravel roads/snow/ice and you are fine with the stock sizes, the Falken Wildpeak Trail is the way to go, it feels like a more rugged all season tire that stays quiet. Needing larger tires, more aggressive tread pattern for offroad/deeper snow (or just for show), go with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Protection should be the same for both as both are P rated with 2-ply sidewalls and 4 Ply rated. AT3Ws do offer the LT E rated tires if more protection is needed at the expense of significantly more weight and a less grippier compound as only P rated AT3Ws have a special silica compound similar to the Trail tire for better winter grip.

View attachment 8863
View attachment 8864
View attachment 8865
View attachment 8866

Hopefully this shines some light for those looking between these 2 tires instead of ending up with both like I did.

Some statistic like 60% of Seattle Metro were not born in Washington State, it's definitely a diverse place where people come from all over. Just don't drive like a Californian here and you'll be fine.

East of the cascades might be a different story lol
What tire is in the 3rd pic? Is that the the Trail or AT3W? And how was the MPG difference?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What tire is in the 3rd pic? Is that the the Trail or AT3W? And how was the MPG difference?
Third and fourth pic above in #291 is the AT3W.

I don't pay much attention to MPG but I do think if at most the AT3W is 1-2mpg difference from the Trail tire. As mentioned, the AT3W tire is 2lbs heavier and has a more aggressive tread pattern than the Trail tire.

2 pics below are of the Falken AT Trail tires in 245/65r17 for comparison.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Third and fourth pic above in #291 is the AT3W.

I don't pay much attention to MPG but I do think if at most the AT3W is 1-2mpg difference from the Trail tire. As mentioned, the AT3W tire is 2lbs heavier and has a more aggressive tread pattern than the Trail tire.

2 pics below are of the Falken AT Trail tires in 245/65r17 for comparison.
View attachment 8965 View attachment 8966
Love the setup. The background ain't bad either.

281 - 296 of 296 Posts