Honda Passport Forum banner

261 - 280 of 296 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,730 Posts
So I'm looking at KMC XD 820 Grenade wheels. 18x8 with 38mm offset. Whats the biggest tire I can put on them without rubbing?
I suppose you could take another posters word on that or you can calculate it yourself, there are two links to do so on this thread:

cheers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Got some mild off roaders. Will likely do the Traxda 1.5/0.5 lift next. Not sure I got the wheels I wanted, but options are limited with a lot of stuff on backorder.

Old: Honda OEM Touring Wheel and Continental LX Sport 20" Tire

New:
Wheel - Platinum Prophecy 458BK Wheel made by Ultra: 18x8, 5x120mm, 35mm offset, 74.1mm CB (5mm centering ring)
Tire - Continental Terrain Contact AT 18" 245/60R18 Tire

Yikes 😬 the wheels are extra glossy. Gloss black was the only black finish they make for this wheel, and was a LOT glossier than I realized once seen in person. Honest opinions?

Not as bad in softer light.

I cannot stand 20" wheels on an SUV/CUV and am irritated with Honda for costing us all so much money and work to get what should have come stock on this vehicle as an option. Now I can actually hit a bump or rub a rock or curb without damage and do some mild off roading and snow driving here in the mountains of Colorado. Decided not to go quite as large on tire size as some of you, not sure how I feel about it as the larger size looks a bit better but the clearance is really tight on this and other tires I tried and I want to leave room to clear ice buildup, snow chains, and suspension movement at full lock if I am ever off road. Also didn't want the 2-3 MPH speedometer shift or odometer shift.

So far these tires ride nicely. Silky steering (guessing I am closer to zero scrub radius than stock). A bit stiffer initial hit on bumps. A slight bit different road noise, not too much louder than the stock if at all, need more miles to know. I can always swap out for the Terrain Contact HT, which I bet performs at least minimally off road for very mild stuff, and should be quieter and softer, as well as a better snow tire due to all that siping.

The wheel offset is not turning out to be a problem yet. Weight capacity of the wheels is only 1650 but still meets the heavy axle rating for max towing scenarios just barely, so I should be good there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So I'm looking at KMC XD 820 Grenade wheels. 18x8 with 38mm offset. Whats the biggest tire I can put on them without rubbing?

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...s+Black+Painted&showRear=no&packageFlow=false
Size alone cannot tell you. Having just been through this, there are minor variations between manufacturers of both wheels and tires. Also the size does not account for aggressive tread. For example, the Open Country AT 265/60R18 is a full 1.25 inches taller than stock, while the Continental Terrain Contact AT in the same size is more like 0.9 taller. One rubs badly on a few inch spot of the wheel well, the other does not at all, by a hair. The calculators at TireSize website are the best you can get before you go do a fit check- or if you see setups here that worked for people expect they will work for you too if you have not done any other modifications.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD, Gray/Blk
32 Posts
I suppose you could take another posters word on that or you can calculate it yourself, there are two links to do so on this thread:

cheers
Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD, Gray/Blk
32 Posts
Sweet. Thanks @stevenD . Used that tire calculator. So the stock ones are 265/45R20 and the equivalent in 18s are 265/55R18.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've decided to give something totally new a try: Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail. These are a "new" class of tire tailored to the crossover. Cooper has a similar tire that has been out a little longer but the Falken has slightly better specifications and is less expensive. I am not sure but these particular Falkens started shipping earlier in 2019 (spring/summer-ish).

The size is 255 /50 R20, which makes the tire a full 30 inches in diameter which is 0.6 inches bigger than the OEM size and 0.4 inches narrower (see calculator).
They are all-season trail tires, with an extreme weather rating for snow. Details found here.

I had hoped Tirerack would have done their full testing on this set but they haven't yet. The full truck variant of the tire does seem to test extremely well (way better than the OEM tire in all categories), and various online reviews have all said these are great tires. I got these through my local Discount Tire (they are a surprisingly awesome tire place despite the name).

I expect them to be noisier. I measured on the OEM tires 61db in the cabin cruising at 60 MPH. I'll be driving the same stretch of road next week and I'll measure the noise level again with the Falkens.

General use outside of pavement will be lite offroad on Colorado forestry roads and surrounding areas. I once had a full-on trail vehicle (a Toyota FJ Cruiser, lifted, armored, and with winches) that was fun but horrible to drive, and the PP is in no way a replacement but is a means as a regular dog(s) hauler and a weekend car camping vehicle. I think it will do well.

As for the OEM tires... it was a little embarrassing the other week we got ~20 inches of snow and I was nearly stuck pulling into a parking lot when a Subaru with trail tires zipped right around me with no issue ?

Maybe I'll post more photos later. It is supposed to snow this weekend so I may have an idea of the snow performance compared to the OEM soon too.

View attachment 4567
How are your falken’s doing with road noise as compared to factory tires?

·
Registered
484 Posts
storm303 ,

I'm a function over form kinda guy. I really dislike the 20" wheels and Love the 18's. As far as the high gloss goes. Off road they will be dirty and look perfect.
On road they will be shiny, just like your new car.
Nothing to worry about. Love it!

Thanks for posting.
MJ

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are some "action" shots of the LT255/65R-17 BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 D tires on KMC KM708 17x8 wheels on a 2019 Passport Elite. As mentioned previously, I have no rubbing with this setup, even at full lock.

I aired down to around 17-18 PSI for this drive up Webster Pass in CO. They performed wonderfully!
Hey Stefprez...

Love the pics, that's so awesome! I live in the Front Range and wanted to know how it was taking the Passport up Webster Pass? I've been up it once on an ATV and if I recall, it's pretty gnarly. Did you have any clearance issues? And it's pretty steep if I recall. Any thoughts or trip reports would be great!

·
Registered
45 Posts
View attachment 8167

Finally got them installed. I had a mobile company swing by to mount and balance the tires. Then learned the factory lug nuts wouldn't work.
I have that exact set up on my ‘05 Element and contemplating throwing them on the PP, I’m a huge fan of bronze wheels especially on white, but they look great on my grey Element.

Any chance getting the wheel and tire size

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have that exact set up on my ‘05 Element and contemplating throwing them on the PP, I’m a huge fan of bronze wheels especially on white, but they look great on my grey Element.

Any chance getting the wheel and tire size
That will be interesting to see since the Element bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the Passport pattern is 5X120.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
55 Posts
Are these 17” or 18”. Rim model too? Thanks!
They are KM708 Bully,
part # KM70878052638,
17x8 ,
5x120 ,
backspace 6 ,
offset 38mm,
bore 74.10.
Tires are 255/65R17 Ko2. The factory lug nuts will not work, the diameter is too large. Here is a link to the lug nuts that worked perfect. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3UG0Y8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,730 Posts
No lift kit, I have yet to take it off road. Seems a lot of pp and pilot owners in Seattle/snohomish area. We should do a meet up!
Sounds like fun, do Washington residents hate Californians like the Oregonians do? I mean is it safe to drive there with California plates or is it like having a bulls-eye on ya?

LOL

261 - 280 of 296 Posts