Honda Passport Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Nice! I was also in the stampede area on Sunday exploring. It was 49° degrees that day and I noticed the ATF temp hit 202° (w/ ATF cooler) and Engine 213° going up the mountain. Can only imagine what it would be on a hot day. Anyways, I didn't find the spot I was looking for , but luckily I recorded my route via Gaia and discovered I was only a few miles away before I turned around and headed back. Do you carry any recovery gear with you? I usually have my toddler with me so I'm super cautious about getting stuck with no cell service .😳
View attachment 12137
View attachment 12138
Hey, not sure how you measure your temperature, but my Scanguage II seems to show 10 higher temp when cold than ambient temperature, so it makes me wonder if the hot temp displayed is also 10 degree off. I will post in a separate thread to see if I need to make any adjustments...

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
676 Posts
I think shackle is a great idea. My tow rope has hooks on the ends but I think I need to get a shackle.
My understanding is that hooks on a tow rope should be avoided, in case the hook lets loose. I had a tow rope with loops on both ends, but have since replaced it with a "recovery rope" with loops on both ends. I'll have my 18" wheels and winter tires on the next time that I'm back in the PNW.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
My understanding is that hooks on a tow rope should be avoided, in case the hook lets loose. I had a tow rope with loops on both ends, but have since replaced it with a "recovery rope" with loops on both ends. I'll have my 18" wheels and winter tires on the next time that I'm back in the PNW.
I agree with your comment, it was a very cheap tow rope and I intend not to use it if i can help it. I will look around for an additional setup, hopefully something with loops:) Shackles and tow rope was just added to my shopping list.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
469 Posts
Hey, you have your skid plates installed, correct? I would imagine they add a little to the high temps you are seeing even with the At cooler. I have to admit I share your concern as well: I have seen my transmission temps reach 208F on one of my trips and that was on a 60 degree day. I did race up that mountain aggressively and there was a lot of stop and go and switching 1-2-3 gears with just me in the car. I am installing the front skid plate and a tranny cooler in the next few weeks, so your post tell me my situation is less likely to improve and I will be keeping my AT temperature monitor. You only really have to worry if you get closer to 230F or when your read light comes on.

As far as the recovery gear is concerned, I think the best recovery gear is having a buddy to travel with you. Having another driver to spot you when climbing over an obstacle, give you a tow or give you a ride in case of a mechanical failure is priceless. For example, I slashed my tire last Sunday while exploring a local trail. I noticed my tire pressure dropping fast as it went from 24 PSI to 16 PSI in 20 mins. If it was not for tire pressure monitors, I doubt I would have noticed this until it was too late. I did have a EOM full-size spare but since my current tires are +1 inch, it is not a perfect match, although it is way better than the pancake spare we got from Honda:) Everything ended well, but I did have to pump up my tire 3 times with the air compressor before I got to the tire shop and the slash was fixed. I have ordered a full-size spare tire and wheel to match the rest:-0

That said, here is my gear list: a shovel, a tow rope, an air compressor, a tire patch kit, 2 traction boards and a full-size spare tire. I also have walkie-talkies (they do have a very limited range). I usually have Google maps saved on my phone of the area I am exploring and PDF versions of the Forest Service maps I could use in a pinch. I also tell my buddies where I go, what I plan to explore and what time they should hear back from me, so I have someone looking for me if I get stuck or broken down. That said, my best recovery gear is my buddy in his Subaru Ascent who often accompanies me on my trips.

If you want to meet up and do some exploring together, I think we would make and really nice Honda convoy (we have matching paint and wheels but different vehicles):) Or at least we can coordinate and I can come bail you out. Want to join our group on our upcoming trip this Saturday to explore the tallest road on WA state?

BTW, did you complete the full Stampede Pass trail yet? What are your thoughts? I did find some awesome offshoots from the Stampede Pass route which afforded me some fun obstacles to climb and three or even two wheel over:-0 Most of those are on the Greenwater side.
The little ATF cooler is mounted behind the grille and is not restricted by the skid plate. I don't think the skid plate would cause too much of a temp difference. I also cut out the center piece on the skid plate for jack access point and allow a little more air in.
I for sure need to get a FULL size spare. I went to the local 4wheel parts and picked up all my recovery gear. I probably have more than I need. Since I do solo trips, I'm thinking hard about getting a hitch mount winch.

Hey, not sure how you measure your temperature, but my Scanguage II seems to show 10 higher temp when cold than ambient temperature, so it makes me wonder if the hot temp displayed is also 10 degree off. I will post in a separate thread to see if I need to make any adjustments...
You could reach out to scanguage and ask how to calibrate the unit, if you feel its not reading correctly.
Yes, I have a scangauage unit.

I think it would be cool to have a meet-up in the morning for coffee before every trip, so those who can't do the trip can hang out for a bit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
"The little ATF cooler is mounted behind the grille and is not restricted by the skid plate. I don't think the skid plate would cause too much of a temp difference. I also cut out the center piece on the skid plate for jack access point and allow a little more air in. "

Yes, you are right, the AT cooler is not obstructed but the skid plate does seal in the engine and the transmission a bit, so the ventilation in the engine bay is likely to get much worse. I will know more soon, i have been monitoring my AT temps for a few weeks now (I have yet to figure out how to read the engine temperature with the ScanGauge II).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
First trip report for WA Honda Off-roading Adventures group. We drove up the highest road in WA state. The offroading and the views were fantastic. Lot's of opportunities to explore there. FR-5400 was a lot rougher than expected but not as narrow as I originally thought even though in a few spots it only had room for one car. We found other roads for offroading too, including this water crossing. The water crossing does not look as big and intimidating on the photo as it does in real life. Not a lot of views at 7300 ft but we had some nice views at 6700 ft. Definitely going back next summer to experience views from 7300 ft.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Cloud

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Mountain

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Water Water resources Plant Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Cloud Plant Plant community Mountain Vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

61 - 69 of 69 Posts