Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Nice! I was also in the stampede area on Sunday exploring. It was 49° degrees that day and I noticed the ATF temp hit 202° (w/ ATF cooler) and Engine 213° going up the mountain. Can only imagine what it would be on a hot day. Anyways, I didn't find the spot I was looking for , but luckily I recorded my routed via Gaia and discovered I was only a few miles away before I turned around and headed back. Do you carry any recovery gear with you? I usually have my toddler with me so I'm super cautious about getting stuck with no cell service .😳
View attachment 12137
View attachment 12138
Looks like you started on the opposite end. All the views are on Greenwater side. Also, the chunkiest park of the drive is in the middle but you can avoid all of it if you start from Greenwater. You will hit all the views before the most rough parts😂

I usually carry a full-size spare, air compressor, a saw, a shovel and a pair of traction boards. There's usually no major obstacles on the forest roads. Well, maybe a fallen tree but the road is manageable in a stock vehicle. You have to really go to the smaller side routes to find drain ditches that will push your limits. Lot's of these early into the route from Greenwater if you know where to look🤣. Otherwise, the whole route is uneventful and should be manageable in a stock Passport.

·
Registered
248 Posts
TFS

Sad thing is, this roasting CA Central Coast guy was envying the cool weather you were out and about in. (sigh)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Jealous

• Love
Reactions: PNWGarageDad

·
Registered
267 Posts
Finally made it out to the spot I was looking for last time.

View attachment 12464
View attachment 12465
Now that’s my kind of getting away 👍

We just picked one of these OONI Kura 12” pizza ovens and used it for the fist time last weekend. This thing is rad it takes about 20-25 minutes to get up to temp, it can get up over 900° and it will literally cook you pizza in 90 seconds, yeup 90 seconds. The Kura allows you to cook with lump coal and wood combined or by adding an accessory even gas. You’d just have to keep it out to cool before putting it back in the rig

The pizza peel and the utensil used to turn it while inside are extra $.They also make a carrying bag for it.

Hagens has bags of fresh pizza dough, each bag makes two 12” pizza’s. We found that the peel should be cool then sprinkled with flower so the pizza can easily slide off. I had to throw one pie in the trash because it was stuck to the peel.
Wood Orange Tree Architecture Sky
Food Tableware Table Recipe Ingredient

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Last weekend, I ended up joining a dozen Subarus for section 1 of WABDR route. It was supposed to be very easy. And easy it was for the most part. There were some sections with really deep potholes the size of a moon crater. I assume they fill up with water during rainy season, so that would make things even more interesting. And there was a section with fairly deep ruts that even with my 2 inch lift I felt a bit worried without any skid plates (with larger tires I have about 10 inches of ground clearance). There were a few beautiful views and spots for taking pictures.

I am wondering if any folks in WA would like to create a Honda group for Passports, Pilot and Ridgelines to get out and do group rides? Let me know if you do, I would not mind starting a group and putting together a few rides.

Here are some of the pictures. We did manage to get two Hondas into the Subaru group:)
Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle
Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Cloud Sky Car Plant Tent
Mountain Sky Plant Cloud Ecoregion
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape
Cloud Car Land vehicle Sky Tire

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rad pics, mountains give me so much joy, I can literally feel my heart rate sloooow doooown.

But no matter what mountain I’m looking, I guarantee that what I’m looking for is a line to take on my snowboard

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hey, I created a group for folks who like to take their vehicles offroading in WA state (Facebook Groups). My intent is to build up a Honda-heavy group that would explore various off-roading routes in WA state and perhaps some of OR. Most trips will be day trips but, if there is enough interest, I would be open to do overnight trips as well, or true overlanding trips. If this sounds good and you would like to participate, feel free to join or ask questions. Your vehicles don't need to be lifted, modified but I think it is wise to have AT tires. There will be a mix of easy routes that any car can tackle but there will be routes that would require a lift and skid plates.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Gorgeous views! Were they mostly service roads?
Yes, Forest service roads. I don't think there is any offroading outside of FS roads. I have yet to find an ORV park that my Pilot can handle. There may be a few trails in Tahuya though but I am saving those for after I install the front skid plate. I saw a video of a stock Forester up there, so I should be able to do a few trails.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Nice! I was also in the stampede area on Sunday exploring. It was 49° degrees that day and I noticed the ATF temp hit 202° (w/ ATF cooler) and Engine 213° going up the mountain. Can only imagine what it would be on a hot day. Anyways, I didn't find the spot I was looking for , but luckily I recorded my route via Gaia and discovered I was only a few miles away before I turned around and headed back. Do you carry any recovery gear with you? I usually have my toddler with me so I'm super cautious about getting stuck with no cell service .😳
View attachment 12137
View attachment 12138
Hey, you have your skid plates installed, correct? I would imagine they add a little to the high temps you are seeing even with the At cooler. I have to admit I share your concern as well: I have seen my transmission temps reach 208F on one of my trips and that was on a 60 degree day. I did race up that mountain aggressively and there was a lot of stop and go and switching 1-2-3 gears with just me in the car. I am installing the front skid plate and a tranny cooler in the next few weeks, so your post tell me my situation is less likely to improve and I will be keeping my AT temperature monitor. You only really have to worry if you get closer to 230F or when your read light comes on.

As far as the recovery gear is concerned, I think the best recovery gear is having a buddy to travel with you. Having another driver to spot you when climbing over an obstacle, give you a tow or give you a ride in case of a mechanical failure is priceless. For example, I slashed my tire last Sunday while exploring a local trail. I noticed my tire pressure dropping fast as it went from 24 PSI to 16 PSI in 20 mins. If it was not for tire pressure monitors, I doubt I would have noticed this until it was too late. I did have a EOM full-size spare but since my current tires are +1 inch, it is not a perfect match, although it is way better than the pancake spare we got from Honda:) Everything ended well, but I did have to pump up my tire 3 times with the air compressor before I got to the tire shop and the slash was fixed. I have ordered a full-size spare tire and wheel to match the rest:-0

That said, here is my gear list: a shovel, a tow rope, an air compressor, a tire patch kit, 2 traction boards and a full-size spare tire. I also have walkie-talkies (they do have a very limited range). I usually have Google maps saved on my phone of the area I am exploring and PDF versions of the Forest Service maps I could use in a pinch. I also tell my buddies where I go, what I plan to explore and what time they should hear back from me, so I have someone looking for me if I get stuck or broken down. That said, my best recovery gear is my buddy in his Subaru Ascent who often accompanies me on my trips.

If you want to meet up and do some exploring together, I think we would make and really nice Honda convoy (we have matching paint and wheels but different vehicles):) Or at least we can coordinate and I can come bail you out. Want to join our group on our upcoming trip this Saturday to explore the tallest road on WA state?

BTW, did you complete the full Stampede Pass trail yet? What are your thoughts? I did find some awesome offshoots from the Stampede Pass route which afforded me some fun obstacles to climb and three or even two wheel over:-0 Most of those are on the Greenwater side.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
676 Posts
@kslu_wa , I presume that you have a D-ring shackle on the 2" hitch for rear recovery? I have also included a soft-shackle for front recovery (tow loop under the driver's side). I've not been able to convince my neighbor with a Ridgeline to be my off-road buddy. :(

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I think shackle is a great idea. My tow rope has hooks on the ends but I think I need to get a shackle.

Your Passport is way more capable than Ridgeline even in stock form. But adventurous spirit is more important than the car you drive. I have seen people show up in stock Subaru Legacy sedans for an offroading adventures... And quite frankly, most forest roads are completely doable in stock Passports, Ridgelines and Passports. AT tires go a long way to improve your capability off pavement, especially on 17/18 inch wheels. 20 inch tire will work but will be a lot less comfy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
@kslu_wa , I presume that you have a D-ring shackle on the 2" hitch for rear recovery? I have also included a soft-shackle for front recovery (tow loop under the driver's side). I've not been able to convince my neighbor with a Ridgeline to be my off-road buddy. :(
Hit me up when you are back in Washington, I will join you for some offroading adventures 😜

41 - 60 of 69 Posts