Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, any Passport owners near Seattle area who could recommend easy to moderate off-road routes within 1.5 hours of Seattle? I am sure most are now covered in snow, but I am hoping to get a few recommendations for low-land options as well.

Objective: find easy to moderate beginner routes with a view, access to a lake or river, ocean beach (beach/sand driving. Yeah, this will be more of a 3 hour drive, I know).

If you had experience at the local ORV parks (Reiter Hills or Walker Valley, others), which easy trails would you recommend to a novice?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good. 2 hours and about 90 miles. I will have to plan a weekend trip there some time.

There's Reiter ORV park 30 mins and Walker Valley ORV park about 60 mins. I have a feeling both are more than my lifted Pilot will handle. I am still doing my research, hopefully maybe green trails (if they have them will work out).

I did find a few routes that are good for beginners like Green Mountain, McClellan Butte trail, Tonga Ridge trail.

I wonder if we need to add a thread for information like this.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
469 Posts
This is a good start! I'm also interested in some easy trails. I saw the lift you put on, looks great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've gone on dirt roads around Seattle area but neither will take full advantage of the Passports stock height let alone a lift. Or the trail quickly becomes too challenging to do in the Passport, especially if by yourself. I still need to grab a good pair of traction boards, a skid plate, and a recovery strap with a capable rachet before I attempt some of those routes.

FYI Walker Valley ORV has most of the park cut off by 2 gate keepers (which from what I heard would be the 2 toughest obstacles you would fine more post of the park). Unfortunately, unless you want to risk scraping or taking home a dent, I think passport is just too wide and too low, even with a 2" lift to make it through. I did drive around the area before the gate keepers and it has some nice dirt roads, but nothing crazy, just a bit of ruts to watch out for.

Drive to Spada Lake near goldbar was also a fun drive with a nice view at the end and some waterfalls on the way. Again nothing that an awd sedan couldn't handle if there's no snow.

When the ice melts drives to trailheads and campsites in the national forests should lead to some more adventurous dirt roads. I tried going through some of these routes a few weeks ago but turned back either due to downed trees or the snow/ice made road conditions too sketchy to go alone. I definitely would be open to visit more places or go further down the trail if someone with a more capable vehicle like a jeep wrangler was with me to recover the passport.

Here's the drive before the walker valley ORV gatekeepers, keep in mind this was in November, I'm not sure of road conditions today:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've gone on dirt roads around Seattle area but neither will take full advantage of the Passports stock height let alone a lift. Or the trail quickly becomes too challenging to do in the Passport, especially if by yourself. I still need to grab a good pair of traction boards, a skid plate, and a recovery strap with a capable rachet before I attempt some of those routes.

FYI Walker Valley ORV has most of the park cut off by 2 gate keepers (which from what I heard would be the 2 toughest obstacles you would fine more post of the park). Unfortunately, unless you want to risk scraping or taking home a dent, I think passport is just too wide and too low, even with a 2" lift to make it through. I did drive around the area before the gate keepers and it has some nice dirt roads, but nothing crazy, just a bit of ruts to watch out for.

Drive to Spada Lake near goldbar was also a fun drive with a nice view at the end and some waterfalls on the way. Again nothing that an awd sedan couldn't handle if there's no snow.

When the ice melts drives to trailheads and campsites in the national forests should lead to some more adventurous dirt roads. I tried going through some of these routes a few weeks ago but turned back either due to downed trees or the snow/ice made road conditions too sketchy to go alone. I definitely would be open to visit more places or go further down the trail if someone with a more capable vehicle like a jeep wrangler was with me to recover the passport.

Here's the drive before the walker valley ORV gatekeepers, keep in mind this was in November, I'm not sure of road conditions today:
Thanks for the video. I did find a few videos from Walker Valley ORV gate and Reiter ORV "Green" trail. I know that i will not be doing those trails in this car:) The dirt roads you showed din the video are fine. I am making a small list of dirt roads and routes for the summer and intend to attempt the lower elevation ones in the winter.

I like your idea of "traction boards, a skid plate, and a recovery strap with a capable ratchet"! I am starting by getting a tire inflator since I intend to air down somewhat for comfort. I am struggling to choose a priority between a transmission cooler and skid plate. I doubt i will be rock crawling soon but there will be plenty of driving at low speeds up the steep hills.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, this is a cool route. I think the shorter route from Crystal Springs is closed due to a washed out bridge and I don't think my Pilot can wade 20 inches or water to cross the creek. But this is another way to get there. Thanks for sharing.

You seem to know a lot about off-roading near Seattle for Delaware... Did you used to live in Seattle in the past? :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
676 Posts
Hey, this is a cool route. I think the shorter route from Crystal Springs is closed due to a washed out bridge and I don't think my Pilot can wade 20 inches or water to cross the creek. But this is another way to get there. Thanks for sharing.

You seem to know a lot about off-roading near Seattle for Delaware... Did you used to live in Seattle in the past? :cool:
Ha-ha! No, I'm temporarily in the PNW and have friends in the Seattle area. We do like exploring (multiple cross country road trips, like this thread) and able to find resources on the internet to assist in that goal. I enjoy windy roads, too.

The previous year, I found a route that takes you up Mount Hood called Cloud Cap Rd. The first portion was paved and then turned to packed/rough gravel road. We got as far as Inspiration Point... not confident going all the way up alone in case of a breakdown. My wife would not have been happy had that happened.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Has anyone used trailsoffroad.com? I'm okay with $25/yr for full access membership. Just trying to get some feedback before paying.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think there were a few free ones I read on it. I haven't bought membership yet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like fun. I wonder how well Passport will do in the dunes. I assume they have routes for all types of vehicles, not just ATVs. Based on these pictures, it looks doable

·
Registered
469 Posts
This was a last min trip. Found a spot off the side to have lunch and walked down to a water stream. I found this location on trailsoffroad.com and you can send the gps file directly from TOR.com to Gaia. Near Wallace falls state park.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sidesteps really enhance the look of the car. Nice work!

This looks like the road to Spada lake although everything probably looks similar in that area.

Was it an off-roading trip? Did you have to air down or was that completely not necessary?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was only on gravel areas.

Last Saturday l was at Reiter, trail riding on a dirtbike while also looking for trails for the PP. Miles of logging roads which would be great for the PP, but I think ATVs are only allowed on those roads. I saw a game warden and I smh for not chatting with him bec they know that area like the back of their hand and could have shared some good locations. The few ORV trails i saw, the trail started what with a massive rock to cross, I guess giving a sample on whats to come. This was my first time at Reiter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reiter and Walker Valley and many other ORV parks have "gates" and they are very difficult to get through. They are called gate keepers for a reason:) Most ORV parks are too much for PPs, even lifted, equipped with oversized tires and running protection. Tahuya ORV, I think, is the only one that seems to have easy access (no gates) and some easy trails with drive around options for difficult parts. Check out Tahuya on youtube

1 - 20 of 69 Posts