Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you folks satisfied with the Passport's off road abilities? Any hesitation when taking it off road? I’m thinking about getting one and I’m interested in hearing more from those who have taken it off road. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Passport rocks off road, but the issue is the 20" tires with no side walls. Jondz goes into this as well as adding a 1" leveling kit (read lift kit)... Honda's Truck based AWD systems is one of the best, without going to a full blown 4WD with transfer case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you folks satisfied with the Passport's off road abilities? Any hesitation when taking it off road? I’m thinking about getting one and I’m interested in hearing more from those who have taken it off road. Thanks.
"Off-road" means different things to different folks . . . for me, it means heading up/down a logging road, some of which are in pretty good condition and others (those that have not been used for a while for active logging, so have not been maintained) that can have more potholes/craters than the average slice of swiss cheese. "Rock climbing" is not in our cards, nor is it of any interest . . .

We have had our Passport for a week and have already been up and down several logging roads (in search of Huckleberries!) and are finding that it is very capable. Our first was on a rather pedestrian logging road that while not in the best of condition, the Passport survived without issue. The second involved a 1500 foot increase in elevation and the road was in not the greatest condition, with a lot of Dilbertish (as in pointed!) sharp rocks along with the bumps that would be expected. The Passport was great for what I term to be off-road.

I also drive "conservatively" while on these roads and have always done so, regardless of the vehicle. I had a Toyota Tacoma for 13 years, driving it hundreds of times "off-road" and always drove it "carefully" . . . it is just how I treat vehicles. The Tacoma was traded in for a 2nd Gen Ridgeline which then became the Passport. I loved the Ridgeline and drove it "off-road" BUT, it (the Ridgeline) did not have a downhill gear, at least not something that would make for the return trip down a mountain logging road a safe adventure. The Passport DOES have such a creature as the 9 speed transmission has been working like a charm for us when heading down from the elevations that we have visited in the last few days. S-mode coupled with the paddles/shifters kept the Passport in control without needing to use the breaks - this is fantastic and is what makes the Passport much better at "off-roading" than the Ridgeline . . . at least, in my opinion coupled with my (as stated earlier) definition of off-roading!

The stock tires are "adequate" and provide a nice highway ride and if careful (keeping an eye for those sharp-looking rocks) and not driving "fast" on non-paved surfaces (gravel and or "dirt" logging roads) then they should be "OK" . . . but the tires are the weakest link for (again) my definition of "off-roading" . . .

. . . so all of that to say, I am loving the Passport "off-road" and have no hesitation to take it "there"!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts