Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving our new Sport AWD in white. Installed the Curt $32 trailer harness Tues evening, got the trans cooler installed at the dealership Thursday. I was a bit intimidated installing the Honda hitch I purchased online but it went really well today and no need to do a lot of the trim and bumper removal nonsense if you are careful and thoughtful in your approach (on a Sport with no fancy sensing tailgate sensors etc anyway).

Heres the keys: get a stubby 10mm gear wrench, it's almost a necessity getting top valance bolts out- not much space up there. Removing the tabs up there people struggle with but there's an easy method for this....more on that later.

1.Remove the push-in valance bottom buttons by prying down on the head til you get a small gap and then pull them out, I think qty 4, easy.

2. Remove the lower screw each side of valance, easy.

3. Disengage the two side tabs each end of valance by prying a flat blade screwdriver and pulling the side panel away from the valance - easy.

4. Get the stubby 10mm gear wrench on top of the upper screw at each upper end of the old valance and remove the screw, not easy, but if you've ever changed the back plugs on a transverse V engine, this is a snap. Soft plastic and formed sheet metal much easier on the hands than cast iron exhaust manifolds etc.

4. The only thing left is the upper tabs holding the old valance in. Look at the new valance and plan how it engages/disengages at the top. The key is that the old valance needs to move toward the front of the car while the upper bumper needs to move back away from the car. With all other fasteners out you can now get a pry device inside the upper bumper, and outside the valance (exposed in front of the valance, behind the car). My pry device was a 3" long 3/8 socket wrench extension. Start at the corner of the old valance and work your way across to each tab. With pry pressure separating the two pieces, a screwdriver inserted on the tab from inside only needs to just barely separate the inner tab and the tab detaches thanks to the pressure created by the pry device. Carefully go to the next tab and repeat. You may if you are not careful scratch the old valance on its outer face but you're tossing that in the recycling bin anyway. The little pry pressure on the bumper is on the inside and thus any scratching is hidden/inconsequential. Soon all the hard to reach upper tabs are separated ad Voila! Carefully remove the old valance and transfer the four captured nuts in the correct position and orientation to the new valance and insert the new one, reattaching is very straightforward. Bolt up your new hitch, torque properly and you're towing. This process took me start to finish by myself (helper would be nice installing the sweet but heavy hitch) about 1hr 20min. Good luck andyou can certainly do it if you are patient and follow these steps!

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did this to my 21 EXL about 2 months ago and your directions are spot on. It took me the span of 2 days to figure out how to get the bumper off enough to get the valence on... Yesterday I just did the wiring harness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts