Honda Passport Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize to the owners of the Passport but I have to say the Passport is really disappointing in execution. I am so disappointed.

I went to the dealer to drive the car, which I did not after looking at the vehicle for 15 minutes. It is just not the vehicle for me. It is cheap looking inside with lots of hard plastic, poor tactile feel and very light weight components. The topper is the dime store leather seats. They look chintzy and really bring down the looks of the interior. JC Whitney seat covers is what they look like. The opening center console, the glove box are light and so feeble feeling. The backs of the seats are plastic and have that hard plastic feel. Cheap looking shiny plastic everywhere. What’s up with the hard plastic for the door storage areas? Poor sizing, hard plastic and look to me a rattle trap. The interior looks like an older work vehicle.

The running boards feel solid but look cheap, the 20 inch wheels are shorn with tires that do not protect the rim and only look capable of driving on paved streets. The roof rails don’t look integrated.
I had hoped to get past the black wheels and the grille of the elite but I didn’t even have to consider it as I said this is not the quality and feel of a vehicle I want. I think Honda needs to up their game on the materials. Wow is the grille emblem large enough? Disappointed to say the least. I was the same way with the Pilot when I realized it was a mini-van crossdresser.

I cannot believe the marketing hype. A vehicle to drive dirt roads that is it. Or course to really do that you better get a different tire and wheel combo.

I remember looking at the Ridgeline when it came out and I was feeling let down on the aesthetics and material choices. Never gone back to look at one and I assume I will not when it comes to the Passport unless they come out in later years with a significant upgrade in materials and execution. Gas mileage be damned, I am buying a GX460.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You obviously have more luxurious tastes than the Passport or likely and Honda vehicle can provide. Enjoy your GX460.

Reactions: Dro1984

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,965 Posts
As I was reading, I was wondering what your point of reference was and at the end, seeing the Lexus, I can't disagree with your feelings at all. We have a RX350, but the wife won't let me take it camping, well that and it's too small to haul all of my camping/fishing gear...!

·
Registered
5 Posts
GX460 is very nice, and some of the things you mentioned about the Passport are true. The Lexus is also $20k-$30k more than a Passport, and the current generation has been in production since the 2010 model year. You are comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can’t disagree either. I think this is all $40,000 buys today. It comes down to how much are you willing to spend. It’s opportunity cost.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't disagree with some of your analysis. Coming from the 2016 Accord EX-L, the plastics in the Passport don't look as nice. The plastic buttons both in the center console and doors aren't as well integrated or good looking as the ones in my Accord. Which to me is a disappointment.

I too didn't like plastic without liner all around the cabin that will lead to a lot of vibration noise. So I plan to do what another user here suggested and put some felt liner in those spots.

Didn't have any complaints about how the seats look. But I don't like the driver instrument cluster one bit. They could have done a way better job IMO.

Everyone has a criteria list when vehicle shopping. And for different people what's on the list and the priorities of each item are different. And in my experience of owning a couple of vehicles, no car is perfect for me - there are always some compromises or let downs. To get the same interior capacity in the luxury segment requires a lot more money. But then the luxury segment usually provides better looks and NVH levels. So I agree with what @mcrimm said - this is what that much money buys these days. So really automakers could make better looking and feeling cheaper vehicles if they really wanted to. But why would they do that when they don't have too? That's just the market. I've seen some brands sell what goes as a low end vehicle in the US as top end premium model in a different country and charge for it too - just because there's a lack of options there.

And hey it's good you found a vehicle you like (y) - that's the first step in being a satisfied owner and happy driver :)

Best of luck in your GX460 shopping.

·
Registered
365 Posts
So what makes you think the Passport is in the same class of SUV as a GX460?

:unsure:

Reactions: darksky

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is it too early to call "Troll" on this? This is a "Honda Passport" forum.... yes?
A Lexus GX 460 with a V8?! What?!!? A luxury vehicle that is at minimum $12K more money than a mid market vehicle; Elite trim Passport... 2 totally different market segments. I can only think the person posting that is insulting and a bit of a brag. Good luck with your Toyota! Enjoy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So what makes you think the Passport is in the same class of SUV as a GX460?

:unsure:
Good Question. What's the point of the original post??:unsure:??
Why not, for instance, a Mercedes G-Class SUV or Porsche Cayenne?

Reactions: 407guy

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good Question. What's the point of the original post??:unsure:??
Why not, for instance, a Mercedes G-Class SUV or Porsche Cayenne?
Because the person is what is known as a troll. Buy the way, Rolls Royce came out with a new SUV, the Rolls-Royce Cullinan ... it might also be "better" than a Passport. Maybe they can check that out if that meets their needs.

Reactions: Scooter Dude

·
Registered
214 Posts
Damn. OP must have been bored as fuck to be posting an essay on a forum to blab about why he went with another vehicle that's not even in the same class. I should do the same for a Nissan Versa forum.
Alvin... I'm sure you can tell, I wanted to tell the person off, but I refrain from profanity. I don't think this is the place for bad language though I do feel and agree with your anger. That will just bring us down to the OP's level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alvin... I'm sure you can tell, I wanted to tell the person off, but I refrain from profanity. I don't think this is the place for bad language though I do feel and agree with your anger. That will just bring us down to the OP's level.
True. I'm not mad though. I just use profanity when dealing with goofy people.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,965 Posts
Ok, before you guys start forming a lynch mob, I do agree, both of his 2 posts were extremely negative in nature and not posts that promote comradery of any sorts. He probably just moved on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok, before you guys start forming a lynch mob, I do agree, both of his 2 posts were extremely negative in nature and not posts that promote comradery of any sorts. He probably just moved on to the Homeless.com site to tell them how nice his house is, then onto the Employment.com site to tell them how much more money he makes that them..
(LOL, just joking)

I'm thinking it was just a one time visit

·
Registered
87 Posts
. Never did understand why people bash other vehicles on the forum that supports them . Especially If they are not even close in price too what they are going to get eventually .

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I was researching vehicles, I drove a Mazda CX-5, a RAV4 and a Ford Edge before I drove a Passport. This was over a 4 week period. I became active in each respective forum seeking input and advice.

When I made my decision to buy the Passport, I explained in each of the forums why a choose a Honda over the others. Nobody flamed me rather a few wished me luck with my choice.

And I wish the OP luck with his purchase. Besides, it could be very boring if thought alike. We won’t see the OP here again I suspect.
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
I apologize to the owners of the Passport but I have to say the Passport is really disappointing in execution. I am so disappointed.

I went to the dealer to drive the car, which I did not after looking at the vehicle for 15 minutes. It is just not the vehicle for me. It is cheap looking inside with lots of hard plastic, poor tactile feel and very light weight components. The topper is the dime store leather seats. They look chintzy and really bring down the looks of the interior. JC Whitney seat covers is what they look like. The opening center console, the glove box are light and so feeble feeling. The backs of the seats are plastic and have that hard plastic feel. Cheap looking shiny plastic everywhere. What’s up with the hard plastic for the door storage areas? Poor sizing, hard plastic and look to me a rattle trap. The interior looks like an older work vehicle.

The running boards feel solid but look cheap, the 20 inch wheels are shorn with tires that do not protect the rim and only look capable of driving on paved streets. The roof rails don’t look integrated.
I had hoped to get past the black wheels and the grille of the elite but I didn’t even have to consider it as I said this is not the quality and feel of a vehicle I want. I think Honda needs to up their game on the materials. Wow is the grille emblem large enough? Disappointed to say the least. I was the same way with the Pilot when I realized it was a mini-van crossdresser.

I cannot believe the marketing hype. A vehicle to drive dirt roads that is it. Or course to really do that you better get a different tire and wheel combo.

I remember looking at the Ridgeline when it came out and I was feeling let down on the aesthetics and material choices. Never gone back to look at one and I assume I will not when it comes to the Passport unless they come out in later years with a significant upgrade in materials and execution. Gas mileage be damned, I am buying a GX460.
No need to apologize to Passport owners. I don’t find your post offensive at all. In fact, I find it rather amusing, while at the same time kind of pathetic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.