Honda Passport Forum banner

Honda Quality Concerns Thread

32K views 142 replies 54 participants last post by  myissues 
#1 ·
Honda appears to be on the downslope as respects quality.
Been buying Hondas since 1980...not so sure anymore.

#7 ·
Do your research and you will find quality that still stands the test of time. Honda has steadily declined but not just because of quality control, but because of the complexity of the reviews. Technology has changed with the times and reviewers are dinging brands for the type of shifter installed rather than overall satisfaction or ride quality. This notion that everything declines in quality over time is dumb.

#9 ·
100% true!
Also Honda has cut there advertising budget big time since 2008 so rags like CR (garbage magazine btw) constantly diss Honda models, then theres the internet sheep that have no experience with the brand but follow whatever others say or because they read it online then it must be true, these are my favroite

#8 ·
Yeah it’s more so to do with the advancement of technology more and more electrical devices and modules are being added to vehicles on top of trying to constantly adapt the Powertrain to meet the EPAs emission standards while still providing performance. If you go backwards in time you’ll see that yeah there were less problems but there were less features, less safety, and less regulations. Flip on the adaptive cruise control and LKAS and our passport almost drives itself lol! But Honda definitely has slipped in QC.

#10 ·
I recently purchased a brand new 2021 Touring. Everything seems to be okay on the surface but if I look deeper and closer, things are not like the traditional Honda quality I remembered.
So far these are the things I have observed:
1. All four doors have marginal alignment.
2. One of the fenders is not aligned properly.
3. Sand under paint.
4. Window weather strip seal pinched against door.
5. Plastic burrs on all four door cards.
6. Metal around sunroof has slight warp.
7. One of the lug nut had damaged threads but the stud was not damaged. Found that out while putting on locking lug nuts.
8. Various squeaks and buzzes inside the car.
9. Arm rest at different position when fully down.
10. Various plastic trim pieces on the outside of the vehicle are not sitting flush against the body.
11. Excess grease everywhere. Do they really have to use this much grease?
I am sure most people will overlook all these things since they are so minor and doesn't affect functionality of the vehicle.
However, I have owned many import Toyotas and Subarus and they were put together much better and higher quality.
Overall, I would put the US made Hondas at the same level as brands like Ford and GM.

#51 ·
I agree with your assessment, my 2019 Honda PP Elite has similar flaws. I have problems with the jerky starts when accelerating especially from a stop. Service Tech says they put the PP together with cheap parts. Already replaced all the AC components. I just got a notice about a class action about the PP infotainment system

#14 ·
You should have addressed all these things before driving it off the lot.
Your warranty will cover all of them, however, it will be a PIA to them to react now.

#15 ·
Long time Honda/Acura owner here.
1. If I wanted a Honda as perfect as my older Hondas I'd buy one whose VIN began with a "J".
2. I test drove three Passports, in 2019 to avoid many of the things you have listed.
3. The reliability of the electronics scare me.

#17 ·
I can't imagine everyone that is this unhappy with a vehicle and still drives it.
I can solve your complex equation to your issues, trade it or sell it.

#21 ·
Sorry to hear of your disappointments with your new Passport. Mine is a 2019 and number 155 off the line. I had only one problem with the center speaker connection either not hooked up or came loose. It prevented the navigation system from "speaking". Perhaps the quality control was better with the early years.

Reactions: stevenD and jasonpp
#23 ·
Definitely not the Japanese quality of the 80's and 90's. My PP had a bad case of plastic pieces not lining up or fitting poorly but its much better than my 17 Ridgeline that I traded in. No other complaints but I do like my RAV4 Hybrid so much that the RAV has taken the garage space and the PP booted to the driveway:rolleyes:. The quality on the RAV is superior but Toyota has certain areas where they are cheap. I love the comfort and the capability of the PP but it's ending up being a long trip cruiser which for the moment is rare but my kids just graduated or will be graduating from college so we could be going all over the place. I'll hold onto it for the time being

#25 ·
I think the Passport is well designed on both the visual aesthetics and engineering levels, the problem is the build quality and poor supplier vetting by Honda, if the Passport was built in Japan instead of the US it would have been literally bulletproof. But that said, every car in it's class built in the US has similar or worse build quality issues and very few SUV gets made/shipped from Japan for the US market these days so one just has to live with it, if you jump ship you are likely jumping into a new set of headaches.

#28 ·
I read thru ll 18 posts and did not see this addressed:

I believe I read where the Honda Passport assembly plant was shut down during COVID, and when they started back up again, there were a lot of issues. Issues with supply chain, issues with part quality and issues with new folks on the assembly lines.

For this reason 2019 & 2020 Passports may have better build qualities.

I bought my 2019 Touring the second month after they were released, so it's gotta be an early build and the only issues I've had was the dreaded Stereo popping and resetting (the one that Honda is now littagating) and my visors have both froze up (when rotating) and the battery was upgraded after failing ...

All of these were DESIGN issues NOT ASSEMBLY issues..

So, I'm not ready to agree that ALL Honda quality has gone in the crapper compared to 10-20-30 years ago... I believe we are seeing a hiccup caused by COVID...

#32 ·
model?

#36 ·
How many current miles do you have on the PP? And did it start from the day you got it?

#38 ·
Okay, what did the dealership say?

#40 ·
The Sport does not have the coated windows that the Touring & Elite have, that's my only comment other than there has been at least one owner here that had their door weatherstripping replaces and that solved their issues...

#41 ·
I completely agree! My 2021 Honda Passport Touring has been a pile of trash thus far. I have a lot of the same issues as you posted.

The passenger side is build significantly worse than the driver side. Front fender, hood, doors, interior trim pieces all are misaligned and or not fit right with large noticeable gaps.

My sunroof has leaked since the day I owned the car. The dealer said they "adjusted it" yet it still leaks.

My air conditioning sound like a waterfall when on and floods my passenger side floor when on. I believe this led to my ac/heating system not working at all now. It makes a loud grinding noise but nothing comes out of the vents. And due to the water in the floor my interior windows are completely glazed over with condensation every morning. So that plus no working vents makes it almost impossible to drive in the morning.

Honda tells me the bad quality is due the pandemic and that's Unfourtanitly just how it is quality wise. I asked "I think if we are getting half the quality shouldn't we get the car at half the price? " and got a chuckle from the customer service rep. I will never buy a Honda again due to the quality and service I have experienced so far.

#57 ·
I completely agree! My 2021 Honda Passport Touring has been a pile of trash thus far. I have a lot of the same issues as you posted.

The passenger side is build significantly worse than the driver side. Front fender, hood, doors, interior trim pieces all are misaligned and or not fit right with large noticeable gaps.

My sunroof has leaked since the day I owned the car. The dealer said they "adjusted it" yet it still leaks.

My air conditioning sound like a waterfall when on and floods my passenger side floor when on. I believe this led to my ac/heating system not working at all now. It makes a loud grinding noise but nothing comes out of the vents. And due to the water in the floor my interior windows are completely glazed over with condensation every morning. So that plus no working vents makes it almost impossible to drive in the morning.

Honda tells me the bad quality is due the pandemic and that's Unfourtanitly just how it is quality wise. I asked "I think if we are getting half the quality shouldn't we get the car at half the price? " and got a chuckle from the customer service rep. I will never buy a Honda again due to the quality and service I have experienced so far.
Quality being poor due to pandemic is not an excuse. If they can't meet the quality they should not sell the cars and let customers deal with it. That's not a wise thing to do.

#42 ·
FWIW. I got my 2021 Elite on 2 July and have not found any problems with it to date. Almost 10k miles on it already and running fine. Fit and finish seem great and even my next door neighbor a Lexus owner was very complimentary about my PP. He though it was a great machine especially for the price. Anyway, I'm a "Happy Honda Owner." 😁

#43 ·
Our Honda fit & finish, noise & battery lists are smaller than everyone elses', except Toyota.
I miss the days of buying an actual Japanese Import, in the mid $20K price range.

Reactions: PNWGarageDad
#44 ·
I have to agree with stevenD a 100% on this one. I purchased my Pasport in October 2019, so at the end of this month it will be 2 years old with 29k miles on it. And the ONLY issue I've had with it was the stereo this summer which the dealer eventually fixed by replacing the amp, head unit, and harness which was a DESIGN issue. There's no rattles, squeaks, visual panel or trim issues inside or out , mechanical, etc.... and trust me I can be OCD when it comes to crap like that.