Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a brand new 2021 Touring. Everything seems to be okay on the surface but if I look deeper and closer, things are not like the traditional Honda quality I remembered.
So far these are the things I have observed:
1. All four doors have marginal alignment.
2. One of the fenders is not aligned properly.
3. Sand under paint.
4. Window weather strip seal pinched against door.
5. Plastic burrs on all four door cards.
6. Metal around sunroof has slight warp.
7. One of the lug nut had damaged threads but the stud was not damaged. Found that out while putting on locking lug nuts.
8. Various squeaks and buzzes inside the car.
9. Arm rest at different position when fully down.
10. Various plastic trim pieces on the outside of the vehicle are not sitting flush against the body.
11. Excess grease everywhere. Do they really have to use this much grease?
I am sure most people will overlook all these things since they are so minor and doesn't affect functionality of the vehicle.
However, I have owned many import Toyotas and Subarus and they were put together much better and higher quality.
Overall, I would put the US made Hondas at the same level as brands like Ford and GM.
I agree with your assessment, my 2019 Honda PP Elite has similar flaws. I have problems with the jerky starts when accelerating especially from a stop. Service Tech says they put the PP together with cheap parts. Already replaced all the AC components. I just got a notice about a class action about the PP infotainment system

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Passport is a 2020 Elite and nothing like my older Honda Accords. The Passport engine is superb and I love the ride but fit and finish is not the Japanese Honda quality. Remember they are built in Alabama and I’m sure none of the assembly line workers discuss AB/BC Calculus on their break time.😀

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Passport is a 2020 Elite and nothing like my older Honda Accords. The Passport engine is superb and I love the ride but fit and finish is not the Japanese Honda quality. Remember they are built in Alabama and I’m sure none of the assembly line workers discuss AB/BC Calculus on their break time.😀

I think the OP would have been okay if the Alabama assembly line workers had discussed some geometry before building his car. 😆

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 Passport that I bought on April 4th 2019. By September 2019 the infotainment system issues were occurring on almost every drive. I got very adept a hitting the dashboard in just the right spot to “reboot” the system while driving, which worked most of the time. Other times a vehicle shutdown/power-down was required to get the system to restart. It took a while until Honda issued a TSB, and I had the MOST connectors replaced around mid-2020. In early Spring 2021 the infotainment system issues started reoccurring, sporadically at first, say once a week. By this time, I was over 36k miles driven and out of warranty. Fortunately, within a few weeks I received a letter from Honda regarding the MOST warranty extension. I will be making an appointment to have the work done in the near future.

The warranty extension is to 5 years/60k miles. Right now my mileage is just over 50k, and I worry that the problem will reoccur yet again when I’m over 60k miles. I also received a notice last week about a class action lawsuit against Honda for the infotainment system debacle, so there’s that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
New issue. At 800 miles, off ramp slightly downhill medium braking force. Vibration front the tires sounded like I was driving on mud tires. Pulled into garage, both front rotors developed hot spots. I have never had something like this happen to me. It had a mild steering shake when braking above 50mph up until this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I completely agree! My 2021 Honda Passport Touring has been a pile of trash thus far. I have a lot of the same issues as you posted.

The passenger side is build significantly worse than the driver side. Front fender, hood, doors, interior trim pieces all are misaligned and or not fit right with large noticeable gaps.

My sunroof has leaked since the day I owned the car. The dealer said they "adjusted it" yet it still leaks.

My air conditioning sound like a waterfall when on and floods my passenger side floor when on. I believe this led to my ac/heating system not working at all now. It makes a loud grinding noise but nothing comes out of the vents. And due to the water in the floor my interior windows are completely glazed over with condensation every morning. So that plus no working vents makes it almost impossible to drive in the morning.

Honda tells me the bad quality is due the pandemic and that's Unfourtanitly just how it is quality wise. I asked "I think if we are getting half the quality shouldn't we get the car at half the price? " and got a chuckle from the customer service rep. I will never buy a Honda again due to the quality and service I have experienced so far.
Quality being poor due to pandemic is not an excuse. If they can't meet the quality they should not sell the cars and let customers deal with it. That's not a wise thing to do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sadly agreed but there is little out there with the features of the Passport, esp without a CVV transmission.
At this point I might as well get a CVT. 9 speed transmission starts in 2nd gear in D. It's so sluggish off the line.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD Blue
102 Posts
At this point I might as well get a CVT. 9 speed transmission starts in 2nd gear in D. It's so sluggish off the line.
You can put it in Sport mode to avoid this. Of course gas mileage will be worse so it's a trade off.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can put it in Sport mode to avoid this. Of course gas mileage will be worse so it's a trade off.
I believe you have to put it in S and then pull the left paddle to get S1, not an ideal solution. On slight inclines it is anemic pulling out into traffic to make left turns. The feel is like the old days with some Hondas when you could put it into D2 for better traction pulling off in the snow. Without having to do all these work arounds, the best I can do is give it a little gas and then a lot of throttle but this all shouldn't be so difficult with a v6 and 9 ratios or is it 8 since D1 is not a default.

I just did two round trips bringing my daughter home and then back over the long weekend where her college campus which is very hilly and I didn't notice the sluggishness like I do where it's more flat at home. PP is a great highway cruiser with tons of space for people and stuff but after having a hybrid for a few weeks, it's drivetrain is so yesterday

So after having my PP for a year and about 7k miles it's just the misaligned plastic exterior body bits that are a quality fail. Minor but unacceptable on any car or a 40k vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
New issue. At 800 miles, off ramp slightly downhill medium braking force. Vibration front the tires sounded like I was driving on mud tires. Pulled into garage, both front rotors developed hot spots. I have never had something like this happen to me. It had a mild steering shake when braking above 50mph up until this point.
That sounds like the lug nuts were not torqued evenly and you have warped rotors. Do you know if the front wheels have ever been taken off since you've had it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That sounds like the lug nuts were not torqued evenly and you have warped rotors. Do you know if the front wheels have ever been taken off since you've had it?
Actually when I installed locking lug nuts, I loosened and torque all lugs nuts to spec. The hot spots are disappearing after being driven at slower speeds.
Pretty odd.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was looking at RAV4's but they can be expensive when spec'ed up and the engine is rather gutless. Wish they still had the V6 in the Rav4.
Yep that’s exactly what I found looking around in the price range of a Passport. And I got mine for $7500 off MSRP end of year sale in 2019, making it $31.5k. There was nothing in that price range with all the features it has, especially the 280hp V6 gem of an engine.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts