Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have photos/experience of the following tires on the oem 20s? I have seen them all on 18s before but would like to see more tires in 255/50/20 or similar size. Primary goal is good all weather performance and capable in the snow/winter road trips when loaded up with gear/people.
Considering:

-Continental TerrainContact H/T
-General Grabber HTS60
-Michelin Defender LTX MS

-Vredestein Quatrac Pro
-Michelin CrossClimate 2 or SUV (not sure either has a suitable 20” size)

I am weighing the pro’s and con’s of each tire. I know they are not all designed for the same type of vehicle, but the passport is an in-between class of SUV with its size/capabilities/power. .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anybody have photos/experience of the following tires on the oem 20s? I have seen them all on 18s before but would like to see more tires in 255/50/20 or similar size. Primary goal is good all weather performance and capable in the snow/winter road trips when loaded up with gear/people.
Considering:

-General Grabber HTS60

-Vredestein Quatrac Pro

I am weighing the pro’s and con’s of each tire. I know they are not all designed for the same type of vehicle, but the passport is an in-between class of SUV with its size/capabilities/power. .
Any reason not to consider the 18"?

20" are hard to come by for many models and really expensive, so choices and particularly availability can be low right now. Snow performance of taller sidewall/narrower tires can be better than 20" and ride will improve with minimal handling difference. Specifically loaded down, I would think more sidewall is a real advantage to the harsh ride of 20".

Sorry I can't speak to the 20" but changing to 18" was good choice for me on last two vehicles. I have Continental Terrain Contact H/T and they are very close the feel and performance of the Terrain A/T (I tried them first) without quite the noise or durability of the A/T. Snow performance of the H/T tread is very good in the mountains here. Not a dedicated snow tire but dependable in many situations.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,304 Posts
The problem is NOT the Tire brand or model!

The problem is the Tire SIZE..!

The problem is the width of the sidewalls of ANY 20" tire will suffer from having only 2" of rubber between the rim and the road...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies- yes I have considered 18” wheels and I know the benefits of going 18” -agreed on tire size being incorrect, but I have experienced hydroplaning more than once on the Conti’s (and I don’t like the way they look) so wrong size or not they have to go.

There are plenty of threads on here to convince me to buy a seperate set of 18” wheels and tires but I am looking for pictures of 255/50/20 tires as an alternative. The price difference is typically $10 per tire going 20” vs 18” except for extreme cases so that’s not a huge factor to me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the replies- yes I have considered 18” wheels and I know the benefits of going 18” -agreed on tire size being incorrect, but I have experienced hydroplaning more than once on the Conti’s (and I don’t like the way they look) so wrong size or not they have to go.

There are plenty of threads on here to convince me to buy a separate set of 18” wheels and tires but I am looking for pictures of 255/50/20 tires as an alternative. The price difference is typically $10 per tire going 20” vs 18” except for extreme cases so that’s not a huge factor to me.
All the tires you have listed are probably decent by reviews I have seen. I've got the Terrain Contact H/T in different size and they are similar to the A/T. Edited my typo leaving out the full tire name I'm running (Terrain Contact) in my post above. The stock Continentals which I think are a cheap version of Cross Contact H/T were not good at all, the other Continental models are much better in all respects (durability, wet handling, traction, etc).

Michelin Defenders are one of the best selling tires of all time for a reason. I've never personally run them but many swear by them and they inspired a lot of tires with similar designs including the Terrain Contact H/T.

For me, going to 18" including four $120 wheels cost only about $40 more per wheel and tire, and in the future will make up the $40 difference on the next tires I buy. With the much better selection, more sidewall for ride, comfort, heavy loading, avoiding rim rash, etc. it still seems the preferred choice to me.

However, if you like 20" you like 20" and I respect that. Any model you've listed is likely to be good, and if you can actually get them in stock at a good price (I never could for any 20" where I live) you might as well go for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Considering:

-General Grabber HTS60

-Vredestein Quatrac Pro

I don't have a scientific poll but from cursory observation most PP owners here who stay with 20'' wheels stick with their OEM wheel/tire set up.
Almost everyone that gets non OEM tires drops down to 18'' or lower wheels....with the exception of @ProdGirl who has a set of 275/45R20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on 20'' KMC KM707 wheels, @407guy who has 275/45R20 Nitto NT420V on 20'' Drag DR-64 wheels and @mc4saints who has a set of 275/45R20 GT Grabber AT3 on OEM 20'' Touring wheels - as at their last update.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a scientific poll but from cursory observation most PP owners here who stay with 20'' wheels stick with their OEM wheel/tire set up.
Almost everyone that gets non OEM tires drops down to 18'' or lower wheels....with the exception of @ProdGirl who has a set of 275/45R20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on 20'' KMC KM707 wheels, @407guy who has 275/45R20 Nitto NT420V on 20'' Drag DR-64 wheels and @mc4saints who has a set of 275/45R20 GT Grabber AT3 on OEM 20'' Touring wheels - as at their last update.
Your observations are definitely correct, which is why I started the thread. Also most (not all) people going to 18” are getting a/t tires. And the few I’ve seen who have stuck to 20” OEM wheels and upgraded tires also went a/t.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,304 Posts
Here is a thread, that most of the 20" Wheel owners will find helpful:

:cool:

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport EX-L Deep Scarlet Pearl
10 Posts
I know that your not looking for A/T tires, but this thread has my 20" tire solution that has worked well for me. Improved sidewall protection and solid winter capability for our Colorado winters as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts