Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
My buddy and I headed up to Stevens during those storms for a day of boarding, as on every trip up we stop at the Sultan bakery to pick up some coffee, a fresh doughnuts and a sandwich for breakfast, but on that day they were closed due to the 18-20” in their parking lot but I didn’t notice until I had already pulled into their lot. As I pulled in I noticed another vehicle had done the same thing but they stopped getting stuck, I knew I couldn’t lose my momentum so I kept my foot in it and we barely made it back onto the hwy.
I had a fantastic experience this winter with the 2 inch lift and 245/70R17 Blizzaks. We had 12-14 inches in our neighborhood and my Pilot was not even plowing any of it due to 10 inch clearance. Tire did not sink all the way to the asphalt, so I just floated over the top. I tried getting stuck but it proved to be near impossible. Between the Blizzaks and AWD, I have no concerns about snow until I get high-centered (it does happen when snow gets settled and or wet after a while and if the depth is above the car's clearance).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have 245/70R17 on my Pilot. I have Blizzaks and Cooper Discoverer AT3. There was a super light rub (barely noticeable as it rubs plastic over a bolt 1/2 in diameter) on Blizzaks and Discoverers at full lock before the lift and I did not notice anything different after 2 inch lift. A friend had 245/70R17 Wildpeaks AT3W on his Passport and he had a little rub at full lock (these tires have a more square profile) with 2 inch lift.

So the rub will depend on what brand of tire you will get. AT tires are more square, so expect to have more chances of light rub with those compared to regular all season M+S.

Before lift photo with Blizzaks (photo at Costco parking lot) and after lift (Discoverer AT3 in the mountains)

View attachment 11901 View attachment 11902
Thanks! That's good to know. And that's a sharp-looking setup!

255/65R17 seems like a good conservative approach for increasing diameter without any rub.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a fantastic experience this winter with the 2 inch lift and 245/70R17 Blizzaks. We had 12-14 inches in our neighborhood and my Pilot was not even plowing any of it due to 10 inch clearance. Tire did not sink all the way to the asphalt, so I just floated over the top. I tried getting stuck but it proved to be near impossible. Between the Blizzaks and AWD, I have no concerns about snow until I get high-centered (it does happen when snow gets settled and or wet after a while and if the depth is above the car's clearance).
When I had my Element i couldn’t wait for it to dump up here in Lake Stevens because it seemed like I was the only one that could make it through our neighborhood and up our little hill. While everyone else was getting stuck I would jump into my Element without shoveling the driveway and say “this is how you drive in the snow”, with no spinning or sliding I would get out and head off to the store asking if they needed anything.

When my kids were younger I would attach two motorcycle tie downs to the hitch and the other end to their sleds then tow them up and down our street. During one storm we had 12-14” on our street and I remember looking back in the mirror at them not even being able to see them due to the amount of snow going over their heads.

While we were having fun I mentioned to the kids that someone was going to be the party pooper and ruin our fun, well about 30 minutes later one of our local cops in a chained up rear wheel drive F150 showed up and as he was approaching us I said to the kids “here comes the party pooper”. As he rolled up I asked if he was going to be the party pooper, he told me that a neighbor called us in and we needed to stop, I mentioned to him that if he talked the department into buying Elements he wouldn’t have to chain up.

My Element was equipped with 16” KMC Bully’s with BFG AT

·
Registered
251 Posts
My buddy and I headed up to Stevens during those storms for a day of boarding, as on every trip up we stop at the Sultan bakery to pick up some coffee, a fresh doughnuts and a sandwich for breakfast, but on that day they were closed due to the 18-20” in their parking lot but I didn’t notice until I had already pulled into their lot. As I pulled in I noticed another vehicle had done the same thing but they stopped getting stuck, I knew I couldn’t lose my momentum so I kept my foot in it and we barely made it back onto the hwy.
Where is Stevens?

·
Registered
213 Posts
It’s not what it used to be, I stay out of Seattle if I wanna venture into a city it’s Bellevue for me. All of the ski areas are insanely overcrowded, house prices are Insane, traffic is one of the worst in the nation and our fuel/taxes are tops.

Most homes for sale are selling in 1-2 days and some are getting up to $250k more then asking. The problem I’m seeing is a massive exodus of Washingtonians to Idaho and Arizona because the Californians are moving here.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It’s not what it used to be, I stay out of Seattle if I wanna venture into a city it’s Bellevue for me. All of the ski areas are insanely overcrowded, house prices are Insane, traffic is one of the worst in the nation and our fuel/taxes are tops.

Most homes for sale are selling in 1-2 days and some are getting up to $250k more then asking. The problem I’m seeing is a massive exodus of Washingtonians to Idaho and Arizona because the Californians are moving here.
I hear ya. I meant I like Washington state for its natural beauty. I don't live there but, I try to go around Seattle and not through it when I visit. Denver and Colorado have become the same way as you describe Seatttle and Washington.
I live in a Denver suburb. I dread it when I have to go to the city for something and it puts me in a fowl mood.
Idaho is nice but (in my opinion) Arizona is for desert rats, rattlesnakes and Gila monsters.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I hear ya. I meant I like Washington state for its natural beauty. I don't live there but, I try to go around Seattle and not through it when I visit. Denver and Colorado have become the same way as you describe Seatttle and Washington.
I live in a Denver suburb. I dread it when I have to go to the city for something and it puts me in a fowl mood.
Idaho is nice but (in my opinion) Arizona is for desert rats, rattlesnakes and Gila monsters.
You are correct in Washingtons natural beauty but it has gotten far to expensive to live here, especially with my retirement coming up soon. I was born in and lived in Switzerland as well as northern British Columbia so I love mountains, huge evergreen trees and the cooler climates. I am a huge pussy in heat over 75°

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Speaking on behalf of mountain/resort-town residents, the pandemic has resulted in a junk show. Half the Bay Area tried to escape the pandemic by moving to Tahoe and working remotely. (My kids' school enrollment was up by like 33%.) Ski resorts were crazy crowded, as were/are trailheads for bc skiing, mountain biking, climbing, hiking, etc. The good news is that that my home doubled in value. The bad news is that I have no intention of selling and so the only practical effect is that I can't afford any contractors given the extreme demand. Mind you, I don't blame anyone for wanting to get away and our area depends on tourism. That said, I wouldn't mind if more folks chose tropical vacations moving forward. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Speaking on behalf of mountain/resort-town residents, the pandemic has resulted in a junk show. Half the Bay Area tried to escape the pandemic by moving to Tahoe and working remotely. (My kids' school enrollment was up by like 33%.) Ski resorts were crazy crowded, as were/are trailheads for bc skiing, mountain biking, climbing, hiking, etc. The good news is that that my home doubled in value. The bad news is that I have no intention of selling and so the only practical effect is that I can't afford any contractors given the extreme demand. Mind you, I don't blame anyone for wanting to get away and our area depends on tourism. That said, I wouldn't mind if more folks chose tropical vacations moving forward. :)
Our house right now could go for 4 1/2 x’s more then our purchase price, but we couldn’t afford to buy a different house that has all of the amenities we have, most of all a yard.

I feel sorry for today’s youth/young adults including both of my kids. Unless we help them out with a substantial amount of $ for a down payment they will never be able to afford a house. To purchase a house in my area now requires a down payment that is more then we paid for our entire house. I’ve gone apartment shopping with my daughter recently and for a two bedroom apartment they are renting from $2500-$3000, my house payment is $1200.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts