Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some shopping today and torn between these four wheel options, suggestions are welcome...I suppose I could get one of each! ?

Looking for a more sporty look than the glossy black wheels I currently have.

I will also replace The Continentals with these Michelin’s. I had the same (but smaller) on my CRV and they were great tires and they had an edge guard so I don’t jack up my rim!

option 1:

option 2:

option 3:

option 4:

Attachments

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm...that’s something to think about. I am also waiting for a call back from Dean (GM) at America’s tire on Warner east of Beach. He said he’d of course give me a better deal the. The rack rate for a wheel and tire package

The Nittos look too all terrain for me? And you know our weather...sunny and dry! Btw - you all good with the fires?

and yeah, rims a personal choice. So what would yours be? I’m leaning towards #3, KMC KM707, bit not sure.

I just looked for your thread by searching tires.com and didn’t see anything?

I love Michelins but that is way too expensive for ONLY a 45K warranty, I suggest checking out the Nitto 275/55R20 Dura Grappler that has a 60k warranty:
LINK: https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/dura-grappler-highway-terrain-light-truck-tire/

Rims, are a personnel choice, meaning what I think looks better may not please you, but hopefully you checked out the Tires.come thread I made and looked at ALL the Rims available for the PP...
[/QUOTE

·
3,109 Posts
Funny you ask about the fires, I was going camping in Bishop this weekend and left early Friday morning and the 5 and 405 were blocked and I did not find out until I got to the closure, had to do a 1-hour detour through Hesperia to get there and came home the same way Sunday.

Anyway, I am waiting until the original tires wear out before changing, but I will be going with a 18" rim and perhaps some Nitto Grappler 2 tires, I want more tire and less wheel.

BTW, the Dura Grappler is primarily a highway tire (not sure if you looked at the ratings), it has an excellent Quietness rating of 5 out of 5 and a Comfort rating of 4.5 out of 5.

Also, if you stay with 20" Wheels you will continue to get "Curb Rash" on your new wheels, while getting a 17" or 18" wheel with the same height of tires, means there is more chance that the tire will hit the curb, not the rim.

Ask the America's Tire guys about this and I would try to get them to at least match or BEAT Tires.com pricing. OH, I like the Kapri wheels the best and will be easiest to keep clean...

Lastly, I was off today and ate at Market Broiler in HB (@ Brookhurst & Adams), mmm, real good seafood...

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Also, if you stay with 20" Wheels you will continue to get "Curb Rash" on your new wheels, while getting a 17" or 18" wheel with the same height of tires, means there is more chance that the tire will hit the curb, not the rim.
This happened to me (badly) on one of my wheels last week. I am NOT a happy camper about it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Did some shopping today and torn between these four wheel options, suggestions are welcome...I suppose I could get one of each! ?

Looking for a more sporty look than the glossy black wheels I currently have.

I will also replace The Continentals with these Michelin’s. I had the same (but smaller) on my CRV and they were great tires and they had an edge guard so I don’t jack up my rim!

View attachment 4048

option 1:

View attachment 4049

option 2:

View attachment 4051

option 3:

View attachment 4052

option 4:

View attachment 4053

Let us know which wheels and tires you decide to buy, either way, they are really sexy looking! ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us know which wheels and tires you decide to buy, either way, they are really sexy looking! ;)
Thanks Ken! I’m leaning towards the KMC707 wheel.
Need to ask the store about Nitto 275/55R20 Dura Grappler. Not seeing them on the website and I must have a rim guard! You know that story! ?

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you ask about the fires, I was going camping in Bishop this weekend and left early Friday morning and the 5 and 405 were blocked and I did not find out until I got to the closure, had to do a 1-hour detour through Hesperia to get there and came home the same way Sunday.

Anyway, I am waiting until the original tires wear out before changing, but I will be going with a 18" rim and perhaps some Nitto Grappler 2 tires, I want more tire and less wheel.

BTW, the Dura Grappler is primarily a highway tire (not sure if you looked at the ratings), it has an excellent Quietness rating of 5 out of 5 and a Comfort rating of 4.5 out of 5.

Ask the America's Tire guys about this and I would try to get them to at least match or BEAT Tires.com pricing. OH, I like the Kapri wheels the best and will be easiest to keep clean...

Lastly, I was off today and ate at Market Broiler in HB (@ Brookhurst & Adams), mmm, real good seafood...
oh crap - you tried to get on the 4 and 405 when it was blocked! What a nightmare!!
how was the air in Bishop? I was in Ventura thru Friday really late and could not keep my eyes from watering, coughing and a headache until I hit about Bolsa and the 405!

re: tires. I missed this one. I like the beefy-ness (my new word) of the 20”. And if we go with a 175, that should give me really close to 1” of overlap? I had these same tires on my CRV and not a scratch on my 13 year old Enkei rims. Not sure if it was the tire or me knowing how to park! But I will ask GI, about the Dura Grappler. Also need to ask about that TPMS feature. I hope it transfers over in the new ones?

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This happened to me (badly) on one of my wheels last week. I am NOT a happy camper about it.
your new wheels or stock ones?
if new, what size tire did you have and it didn't protect your rim?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
your new wheels or stock ones?
The regular stock wheels on the Elite. I had a flat tire, and it was dark. I wanted to get as close to the side of the road as possible to avoid getting hit by traffic. My right/rear wheel got a bit too close to the curb, unfortunately. :oops: It doesn't take much to get road-rash on these darn wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouch! You are the second person in a few days to mention a flat.

And I agree, I think part of my issue is the tires, the other is me...

Do you need a full size replacement?
I think you are in So Cal too?

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the tire fixed. It had a screw in it.

I was. 30 years in OC. In fact I got married in your town! :) But I'm not there anymore.
Oh cool! Where’d you get married at?

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
3,109 Posts
Bishop was fine, I was up over 8,000 ft, air was fresh and clean...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts