Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice… I saw JonDZ and Greg (Traxda) recently announce they were embarking on a new partnership, and planning to develop more parts. The only example they gave as possible were rock sliders, but will be interesting to see what else they come out with.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
469 Posts
This is awesome!
Edit: I'm thinking hard about buying this, what are the cons, if any... @Jondz , I know he already modified the the wheel well to allow wider tires. I wonder if this would be required?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the con really is the cost to install and finding a good shop to help install since there is little experience on lifting these Honda's? The subframe drop looks like it will add a lot of work compared to just the 1.5 or 2 inch lifts. I remember seeing that adding the subframe drop with the 3.5 lift actually gives the CV joint a closer angle to stock when compared to the 2 inch lift so that sounds like a PRO!

I would be curious how the vehicle drives with the subframe drop too. @Jondz seems to have a great experience with them (and maybe the bigger tires help with feel and any higher center of gravity?), and he even drives with detached anti-roll bars!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with @Tamak44 as I watched the install video on YouTube and it’s definitely quite the job to install, and there were steps where it looked like it would be easy for someone not experienced with Honda to yank on the axle too much and break something. Actually, now that I say that, I think I remember someone having that issue on a lift install, might have been on the Ridgeline forums, and the shop had to pay for a new axle boot or something. In any case, it could be done, but I’d want to show the shop all the instructions before pulling the trigger, to see what they think, and gauge their confidence.

As for the wheel well cutting, it depends on how large a tire you go. JonDZ cut his wheel wells, but that package seems to include the axle relocation arms which move the tire forward enough to clear some larger tires, so the wheel well cutting might not be needed, depending on how large you went. It does look a little odd though IMO, with the front wheels being pushed slightly forward and off center from the wheel well, and I’d venture to guess if anything goes wrong with that front-end, Honda will blame that relocation piece since that’s probably a more rare and significant change than even the lift. I’d lean toward cutting the wheel well myself as JonDZ did.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree with @Tamak44 as I watched the install video on YouTube and it’s definitely quite the job to install, and there were steps where it looked like it would be easy for someone not experienced with Honda to yank on the axle too much and break something. Actually, now that I say that, I think I remember someone having that issue on a lift install, might have been on the Ridgeline forums, and the shop had to pay for a new axle boot or something. In any case, it could be done, but I’d want to show the shop all the instructions before pulling the trigger, to see what they think, and gauge their confidence.

As for the wheel well cutting, it depends on how large a tire you go. JonDZ cut his wheel wells, but that package seems to include the axle relocation arms which move the tire forward enough to clear some larger tires, so the wheel well cutting might not be needed, depending on how large you went. It does look a little odd though IMO, with the front wheels being pushed slightly forward and off center from the wheel well, and I’d venture to guess if anything goes wrong with that front-end, Honda will blame that relocation piece since that’s probably a more rare and significant change than even the lift. I’d lean toward cutting the wheel well myself as JonDZ did.
Honda is not going to warranty anything that lift touched anyway. You kind of forgo Honda and do it at your own risk. I am not an expert to say what the axle relocation kit will impact other than the angle of the axle? You are already changing an axle angle by lifting by more than 1 inch. One might argue that if you go 1 inch to the front it is not that big of a deal since you already went down 2 inches with the lift.

The real question one should ask themselves is if doing a 3.5 inch lift going to give you the capability that you need. Passport's AWD is excellent but it is not a lockable axle like the one you get in a 4Runner or a Jeep Wrangler. Honda is also not going to give you the axle articulation you get in the rear in a 4Runner or front/rear in a Wrangler. Is having 12-13 inches of clearance alone going to give you what you need offroad? Keep in mind that when you go +1 or 2 inch in tire size, you are impacting how transmission shifts and therefore your fuel economy, at which point you might as well go for a 4Runner or a Wrangler.

I am lifted 2 inches on my Pilot, O run +1 inch tire size and having that clearance allows me to drive any forest service road but anything more than that and I start running into issues like low approach/departure angle, not having lockers, etc. I still get 26-27 mpgs on HWY if I keep it 70 MPH and under and the car corners as good as stock. But this is not going to get me into most ORV parks or on many 4WD trails. Have I outgrown my car? Perhaps. Until the new 4Runner comes out or Bronco iron's out the wrinkles of the first year model, I am going to enjoy offroading in my Pilot.

I think Traxda created a small niche for car enthusiasts who love their Honda's and want a little more flexibility. With the recent overlanding craze it gives people with family haulers an opportunity to go offroad and enjoy the great outdoors. But as with anything, you should "do it at your own risk"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts