Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 20+ years as Subaru owners, we traded in our 2014 Outback today and purchased a 2021 Honda Passport Touring model. Only day one and we feel very good about our jump. We love the ride, features, and power. My only reservation was the gas mileage. Wondering if I’m concerned about nothing. Love this car.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,897 Posts
Welcome to the Machine!

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
31 Posts
Dang, there have been a lot of Subaru people switching over to the Passport recently. Someone on SubaruOutback.org is likely to blame me for starting a trend or something 🤣

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,897 Posts
Dang, there have been a lot of Subaru people switching over to the Passport recently. Someone on SubaruOutback.org is likely to blame me for starting a trend or something 🤣

Actually, if I recall correctly, we recently had a new Passport owner, who said they CREATED a Subaru website and possibly even the one you mentioned!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually, if I recall correctly, we recently had a new Passport owner, who said they CREATED a Subaru website and possibly even the one you mentioned!
That guy is a real doozy 🥴

·
Registered
129 Posts
... We love the ride, features, and power. My only reservation was the gas mileage. Wondering if I’m concerned about nothing...
Yes, you're concerned about nothing. As long as you accept that with "features" and "power" (and size) comes a sacrifice in gas mileage. :) You can't have it all, right? Welcome.

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
105 Posts
For you Subaru people: Did you test drive a new Subaru before deciding to get a Passport? If so, what didn't you like?

I'm curious whether it's the CVT's or if it's something else. My brother was fond of Subarus for awhile, until he bought a Crosstrek and quickly grew to hate the CVT. I've also encountered a few others with similar complaints. I've owned a couple Accords with CVT's and I didn't really think they were all that bad but perhaps Subaru CVT's are much worse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For you Subaru people: Did you test drive a new Subaru before deciding to get a Passport? If so, what didn't you like?

I'm curious whether it's the CVT's or if it's something else. My brother was fond of Subarus for awhile, until he bought a Crosstrek and quickly grew to hate the CVT. I've also encountered a few others with similar complaints. I've owned a couple Accords with CVT's and I didn't really think they were all that bad but perhaps Subaru CVT's are much worse.
I have a 2021 Outback Limited 2.5L as well, the things that immediately jump out at me about the Passport and what I would consider to be advantages it has are as follows:

1. Quiter operation - Subaru engines are noisy
2. Upright seating position is better for my knees
3. Stereo is substantially better, Subaru's is BAD
4. Cargo space in the PP is amazing
5. Ride and handling are more stable and the PP has a better overall feel to it on the road

I I'm not at all concerned about the gas mileage with the Passport, this vehicle is larger and has a nice engine that I am getting 25+ MPG with using ethanol free gas. Subaru fuel economy is not that great if you have the turbo engine or the old 3.6 engine, the non-turbo 2.5L engine is much better as far as fuel economy goes but that is an incredibly noisy engine.

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
105 Posts
I have a 2021 Outback Limited 2.5L as well, the things that immediately jump out at me about the Passport and what I would consider to be advantages it has are as follows:

1. Quiter operation - Subaru engines are noisy
2. Upright seating position is better for my knees
3. Stereo is substantially better, Subaru's is BAD
4. Cargo space in the PP is amazing
5. Ride and handling are more stable and the PP has a better overall feel to it on the road

I I'm not at all concerned about the gas mileage with the Passport, this vehicle is larger and has a nice engine that I am getting 24+ MPG with using ethanol free gas. Subaru fuel economy is not that great if you have the turbo engine or the old 3.6 engine, the non-turbo 2.5L engine is much better as far as fuel economy goes but that is an incredibly noisy engine.
Thanks for your feedback. My wife is considering a Forester for her next vehicle in a couple years, but I think she may be disappointed with both power and NVH after coming from her 2017 Toyota Sienna Limited.

As for myself, I always feel like I want to like Subaru but I just don't. One of the best example of that was when I had the chance to drive an SVX back in the late 90's. I loved the look, but the driving experience was a total letdown.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. My wife is considering a Forester for her next vehicle in a couple years, but I think she may be disappointed with both power and NVH after coming from her 2017 Toyota Sienna Limited.

As for myself, I always feel like I want to like Subaru but I just don't. One of the best example of that was when I had the chance to drive an SVX back in the late 90's. I loved the look, but the driving experience was a total letdown.
I don't want to totally trash Subaru while I'm here, I could easily make a "let's trash Honda" list or one for Toyota or any other brand vehicle for that matter. There are certain things about Subaru that I like way more than I like about Honda and you know I have been a huge fan of Subaru for nearly 20 years or so :)

Truthfully the Passport Elite was the one single product offering from Honda that I was 100% sold on versus Subaru but beyond that I would probably take a Subaru over any other comparable product offering from Honda.

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
105 Posts
I don't want to totally trash Subaru while I'm here, I could easily make a "let's trash Honda" list or one for Toyota or any other brand vehicle for that matter.
Oh, sure. Not my intent. I can find things that I like and dislike about just about every marque. The line between constructive criticism and bashing seems so easily blurred nowadays.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After two decades with Honda, we added a Subaru for my son. It drives very nicely. I had a Pilot, and have a CRV. Just not sure whether its going to be a Passport or an Ridgeline.....

And I am in no rush to decide.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,095 Posts
Your gas mileage will suck for the first few fill ups. Not sure why, but it’s spoken of frequently on this forum.

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, sure. Not my intent. I can find things that I like and dislike about just about every marque. The line between constructive criticism and bashing seems so easily blurred nowadays.
Oh yes, I understand that very well. There is a trend I have noticed that has been on the rise in recent years, it follows a perception that if you are not being negative you are not being honest. I feel like it has become increasingly prevalent on the internet in particular I have seen it a lot on youtube among "expert" reviewers and their followers.

For my part I was on the borderline the purchasing a new Subaru Outback but due to some extraordinary circumstances, and perhaps providence, I ended up talking to one of my buddies who previously worked with me at a Subaru dealership and now works at a Honda dealership. He had me in to test drive the Passport Elite I had been wanting did they just happened to recently acquire and after showing me the numbers he gave me a deal I simply could not pass up. I ended up getting more car than I wanted and got it at a much lower price point than when I could have paid for a Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
105 Posts
Oh yes, I understand that very well. There is a trend I have noticed that has been on the rise in recent years, it follows a perception that if you are not being negative you are not being honest. I feel like it has become increasingly prevalent on the internet in particular I have seen it a lot on youtube among "expert" reviewers and their followers.
Spot on. This, of course, has resulted in what feels like relentless negativity on much of the internet and media.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have a 2019 Outback Limited, and a 2020 Passport EXL AWD. My wife drives the Outback. We use them interchangeably, except when we have a lot of toys to carry. If it is just carrying SUPs or kayaks, we take the Outback. It is easier to get them on and off the roof of the Outback, and I am 6-4, and have the running boards installed on the PP. Bicycling - or towing we use the PP, because that has the trailer hitch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 20+ years as Subaru owners, we traded in our 2014 Outback today and purchased a 2021 Honda Passport Touring model. Only day one and we feel very good about our jump. We love the ride, features, and power. My only reservation was the gas mileage. Wondering if I’m concerned about nothing. Love this car.
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. Regarding the gas mileage. I purchased an Elite and took my first serious road trip last week. I’m getting 25mpg freeway at speeds of 70+. I double checked the figures with actual fuel used and miles run against the on board computer. I’m really pleased with that number. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can a landlocked old guy, like me, get Bonus Points for knowing that you're talking about Stand Up Paddleboards? :p
Yes. You do.
Of course I live in Minnesota, so I am landlocked as well. But since Minnesota only has about 16,500 lakes and about 70,000 miles of rivers, I have plenty of opportunity for both kayaking and SUPing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts