Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I had my beloved VTX 1800R I never bothered to use Honda fluids. Reading the manual for my new 2022 passport I see they call for 'Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3' and "If the specified brake fluid is not available, you should use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid from a sealed container as a temporary replacement. Using any non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the longevity of the system. Have the brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3 as soon as possible. "

They say the same for the coolant. Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. "If Honda antifreeze/coolant is not available, you may use another major brand of non-silicate coolant as a temporary replacement. Check that it is a high quality coolant recommended for aluminum engines. Continued use of any non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail. Have the cooling system flushed and refilled with Honda antifreeze/coolant as soon as possible. "

As long as the vehicle is under warranty I'll pay attention to what's in the manual, probably, but this all sounds like BS to me. I realize that the coolant needs to be non-silicate and made for aluminum motors, and that brake fluid needs to be DOT 3, it's not like I've never turned wrenches in my life, but this smells of suckering people to pay for the Honda brand.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Transmission fluid, rear diff fluid, front transfer case fluid are the significant Honda branded fluids that you need to use.

Antifreeze for Asian cars, by Zerex is fine as an aftermarket coolant, just get the color that matches what you already have, from the factory.
Follow the DOT number on your brake fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Back when I had my beloved VTX 1800R I never bothered to use Honda fluids. Reading the manual for my new 2022 passport I see they call for 'Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3' and "If the specified brake fluid is not available, you should use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid from a sealed container as a temporary replacement. Using any non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the longevity of the system. Have the brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3 as soon as possible. "

They say the same for the coolant. Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. "If Honda antifreeze/coolant is not available, you may use another major brand of non-silicate coolant as a temporary replacement. Check that it is a high quality coolant recommended for aluminum engines. Continued use of any non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail. Have the cooling system flushed and refilled with Honda antifreeze/coolant as soon as possible. "

As long as the vehicle is under warranty I'll pay attention to what's in the manual, probably, but this all sounds like BS to me. I realize that the coolant needs to be non-silicate and made for aluminum motors, and that brake fluid needs to be DOT 3, it's not like I've never turned wrenches in my life, but this smells of suckering people to pay for the Honda brand.
Because of design characteristics that is not generally available you should use Honda specified fluids for the transmission, transfer case and rear differential. Everything else can be any good non OEM brand that matches the specifications Honda requires.

·
Registered
2021 PP EX-L AWD OBP
160 Posts
Somewhere around here is a discussion about using Valvoline as an immediate replacement for the trans fluid. I don't remember if anyone actually did it, or it was just discussed. Might have actually been on the Pilot or Ridgeline boards, but pretty sure there was some discussion here.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Honda fluids are reasonable priced, parts dept has given me brake fluid.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been a Honda owner for years and have seen people also bring up issues with aftermarket power steering fluid. Even heard of a few Toyota and other manufacturer cars making whining noises after multiple flushes until using Honda steering fluid. In the same way synthetic oils will all work but have different additive packages, honda apparently makes one of the better ones for seals and the like. Anecdotal evidence, fwiw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts