Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new tires for my Passport Touring this week, the OEM Continentals had 42,539 miles on them and were all in the yellow range on my tire tread depth gage. I searched Tire Rack and Tire buyer for recommendations and settled on a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II for the PP. Took the Tire Rack price quote to my local Tires Plus store and they matched prices. Installed price with mounting and balance plus ND tax came to $1155.37.

WOW, what a difference these tires made! Just finished a 450 mile road trip on Interstate and limited access four lane highways. Surfaces varied from new asphalt, old asphalt, new ribbed concrete and older non-ribbed concrete. These babies are QUIET! On new asphalt there was zero road noise, so quiet all you heard was the minimal wind noise created by the PP. Even my wife was impressed (not an easy thing to do when it comes to vehicles):sneaky:. The most noise they made, which was minimal compared to the Continentals, was on the ribbed concrete surfaces and it was hardly noticeable. All I can say, is if you are in need of new rubber for your PP, take a hard look at the Pirelli Scorpions. Like "Mikey" would say, try it you'll like it.馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you keep the original size?
Yes, 265/45R20. You will find out that there are only a few companies that make that size. Michelin,Continental and Pirelli are the major players. I鈥檓 not sure if Bridgestone makes that size.

Registered
I've owned those Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus (Acura MDX Sh-AWD) and they were quiet, until they wore down to 6/32 nds.
They got so noisy I had my suspension checked twice, bought a Db Meter $22 , insulated the back side of my inner fender liners, insulated all four doors, and built a shroud above the end of my transfer case.
I didn't think half way worn tires could get so loud. I replaced them at 5/32 nds, with Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready with ETG (evolving traction grooves). I'm at 6 3/32 nds and they're still quiet, but I know more over the Summer, as the continue to wear down in to their wider ETG section.
I'll probably try the GoodYear Assurance ComfprtDrive 245/50/20 at $226 ea instead of the Assurance WeatherReady 245/50/20 at $266 ea. Both are supported, by ETG.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tires Plus carries Bridgestone and Firestone but did not show the 265/45R20 as available. They ordered the Pirellis for me and still price matched Tire Rack.

Registered
2021 Passport Elite
Yes, 265/45R20. You will find out that there are only a few companies that make that size. Michelin,Continental and Pirelli are the major players. I鈥檓 not sure if Bridgestone makes that size.
I asked because when I looked on Tire Rack they don鈥檛 show them in the stock size. They show them larger and smaller. Thanks

Registered
2019 Honda Passport EX-L AWD
I was thinking of purchasing the tires in the coming months as the stock Continentals are wearing down fast. I bought the Passport with 23,000 miles and the tires are already down to 4/32nds. They are also garbage in the rain which I found out in a recent rainstorm.

Glad to hear they are working out well for you! The reviews and overall ratings on TireRack are excellent.

Registered
Purchased new tires for my Passport Touring this week, the OEM Continentals had 42,539 miles on them and were all in the yellow range on my tire tread depth gage. I searched Tire Rack and Tire buyer for recommendations and settled on a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II for the PP. Took the Tire Rack price quote to my local Tires Plus store and they matched prices. Installed price with mounting and balance plus ND tax came to $1155.37.

WOW, what a difference these tires made! Just finished a 450 mile road trip on Interstate and limited access four lane highways. Surfaces varied from new asphalt, old asphalt, new ribbed concrete and older non-ribbed concrete. These babies are QUIET! On new asphalt there was zero road noise, so quiet all you heard was the minimal wind noise created by the PP. Even my wife was impressed (not an easy thing to do when it comes to vehicles):sneaky:. The most noise they made, which was minimal compared to the Continentals, was on the ribbed concrete surfaces and it was hardly noticeable. All I can say, is if you are in need of new rubber for your PP, take a hard look at the Pirelli Scorpions. Like "Mikey" would say, try it you'll like it.馃榿
I thoroughly agree with ur assessment. One of the stock tires popped when I hit a curb. Ate the cost and decided to change them all due to crappy reviews on the stock. I wasn鈥檛 quite sure if I remembered well enough how the stock tires sounded vs the pirellis. But good to know thst I wasn鈥檛 crazy to hear or really not hear the difference.

Premium Member
Someone mentioned the toyo AT3?
Good tire, quiet handles good wet dry and snow. One problem rotate every 2 to 3k miles to avoid cupping. Had them on my last ride and with perfect alignment and discount tire doing rotate and balance every 5k miles they went bad at 8k and got real loud from cupping. It鈥檚 an issue that toyo needs to fix so discount swapped them for michilens

Registered
2019 Touring AWD Lunar Silver/Black Leather
Did you notice any difference in handling with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II versus the OEM Continentals (when new)? I want the quietest tire possible too but not sacrifice overall handling. I had Continental tires on a Civic and like them, but, not impressed with them on the PP.

Registered
2019 Touring AWD Lunar Silver/Black Leather
Someone mentioned the toyo AT3?
Good tire, quiet handles good wet dry and snow. One problem rotate every 2 to 3k miles to avoid cupping. Had them on my last ride and with perfect alignment and discount tire doing rotate and balance every 5k miles they went bad at 8k and got real loud from cupping. It鈥檚 an issue that toyo needs to fix so discount swapped them for michilens
Which Michelin tire do you have? Are they quiet in comparison to the OEM Continentals?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you notice any difference in handling with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II versus the OEM Continentals (when new)? I want the quietest tire possible too but not sacrifice overall handling. I had Continental tires on a Civic and like them, but, not impressed with them on the PP.
It hasn't rained or snowed (obviously) since I put the Pirellis on the PP, but I have not noticed any big changes in handling during everyday driving and highway (80mph) driving. I am quite impressed with the Pirellis and they have a 60k mileage rating and have I mentioned, they are QUIET compared to the Continentals 馃榿

Registered
Pirelli has a new version of their Scorpion AS tire called the Scorpion All Season Plus 3. So new the local Discount Tire store had not heard of them but they are on their website.. I ordered four and will have them installed Monday. The closest ones they found to San Diego were in Oklahoma!
BTW- The Scorpion line is their SUV/Light truck series. They have Scorpion and Scorpion Verde. You can got to Pirelli.com for information. Though after reading the info, I still do not quite understand the difference. I do like what they have to say about the Scorpion AS Plus 3 being an all new tire in regards to compound, tread pattern, comfort, noise, etc. 70k warranty

Premium Member
Which Michelin tire do you have? Are they quiet in comparison to the OEM Continentals?
These were on a 4Runner. The toyo is fairly quiet when new but get loud quickly. Many others at least on that forum found the same thing.
I went Michelin defendors and they were quiet as a mouse. I used defenders on a first gen ridge line and they stayed quiet and handled very well through Chicago summers and winters

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just and update, I traded my 2019 Touring with the Pirellis in for a new Elite on Friday. Now I'm back to OEM Continentals. Hadn't planned on trading, but when they offered $32k for my 2019, I weakened.

Reactions: Passporter

Registered
Just and update, I traded my 2019 Touring with the Pirellis in for a new Elite on Friday. Now I'm back to OEM Continentals. Hadn't planned on trading, but when they offered $32k for my 2019, I weakened.
Enjoy the AWD, Black Rims, ventilated front seats, heated back seats, wireless charger, and folding mirrors. =P

Registered
2021 Honda Passport Touring 2WD

I replaced the annoying, stiff, uncomfortable OEM Continental LX Sport 265/45 R20 (worst tires) with new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 265/50 R20 (massive upgrade!). Increased tire profile slightly along with significant improvement in quality!!! Boy, what a difference in braking, softer ride and slight noise reduction. I feel the bumps but now it is softer! Braking distance definitely improved :) While still keeping the original wheel bases :))

Very happy!! Go for the brand new Scorpion from Pirelli.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad you liked the new Pirellis, but since I just traded my 19Touring in for a 21 Elite I will have to live with the Continentals for awhile, darn:cool:

Registered
I replaced the annoying, stiff, uncomfortable OEM Continental LX Sport 265/45 R20 (worst tires) with new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 265/50 R20 (massive upgrade!). Increased tire profile slightly along with significant improvement in quality!!! Boy, what a difference in braking, softer ride and slight noise reduction. I feel the bumps but now it is softer! Braking distance definitely improved :) While still keeping the original wheel bases :))

Very happy!! Go for the brand new Scorpion from Pirelli.
I just put those on about a month ago. Very pleased!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts