Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally got the new wheels and tires put on.

265 60 R18

Baaaaarely any rub at full lock. Fully confident with some sand paper or a heat gun I can make it go away. Either that or if the tires wear down at all, even a little, it’ll go away. Ride is super smooth and road noise is noticeable but negligible. Love how the combo turned out.

View attachment 11208 View attachment 11209
That tire/wheel combo looks great! I'm a huge fan of simple 5 spoke wheels. Can you tell me the wheel make?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok guys, need some input/advice:

Ive now been driving on these for 1 week. Absolutely love the look, but took about a 2mpg hit on gas mileage and can feel the extra strain they’re putting on the engine. I don’t really coast any more and they just make the engine work harder due to the added weight and grip. Very slight rub at full lock. I knew this all was going to happen and I’m good with it, but here’s my question:

I have the option to swap out the tires with the same Toyo AT3’s but in 255/55/R18 for free. It would eliminate the rub, but do you think it would have much impact on everything else? Think I’d get less stress on the engine/slightly better gas mileage?

Long story short, need to choose between 265/60/R18 or 255/55/R18.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite, Obsidian Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I think you need to look at the tire (and wheel) weight. Not sure about the wheels, but the OEM tires (265/45R20) are 29lb. The Toyo AT3s are 40lb (265/60R18) and 37lb (255/55R18). More weight = more load on the engine to rotate those tires (right?)... Add up the total weight (wheel+tire) to compare total mass being rotated at each corner.
I've been running Toyo AT3s in 265/60R18 since last fall and love 'em.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok guys, need some input/advice:

Ive now been driving on these for 1 week. Absolutely love the look, but took about a 2mpg hit on gas mileage and can feel the extra strain they’re putting on the engine. I don’t really coast any more and they just make the engine work harder due to the added weight and grip. Very slight rub at full lock. I knew this all was going to happen and I’m good with it, but here’s my question:

I have the option to swap out the tires with the same Toyo AT3’s but in 255/55/R18 for free. It would eliminate the rub, but do you think it would have much impact on everything else? Think I’d get less stress on the engine/slightly better gas mileage?

Long story short, need to choose between 265/60/R18 or 255/55/R18.

Thoughts?
What's your intended use? What are you trying to achieve? The major reason to go with the 265/60 setup is to maximize ground clearance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What's your intended use? What are you trying to achieve? The major reason to go with the 265/60 setup is to maximize ground clearance.
Daily driver that can handle snow in the winter and light-medium off roading in the summer. Added ground clearance is definitely a plus. I’m thinking downsizing to the 255/55’s is going to significantly reduce the ground clearance but Im not sure. Also worried they might look kinda small for the car/wheel well. Been trying to find pics of that setup.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think you need to look at the tire (and wheel) weight. Not sure about the wheels, but the OEM tires (265/45R20) are 29lb. The Toyo AT3s are 40lb (265/60R18) and 37lb (255/55R18). More weight = more load on the engine to rotate those tires (right?)... Add up the total weight (wheel+tire) to compare total mass being rotated at each corner.
I've been running Toyo AT3s in 265/60R18 since last fall and love 'em.
Thats true.. thanks for getting those two weights for me. I’m wondering if the 3lb difference would even be noticeable. That accompanied by a smaller Diameter I’m thinking might be an improvement but I’m not sure. It’s so hard to tell without being able to try it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Daily driver that can handle snow in the winter and light-medium off roading in the summer. Added ground clearance is definitely a plus. I’m thinking downsizing to the 255/55’s is going to significantly reduce the ground clearance but Im not sure. Also worried they might look kinda small for the car/wheel well. Been trying to find pics of that setup.
The diameter difference between the two sizes is 1.5 inches, so that would be a .75 inch difference in ground clearance. If your going do do any moderate off-roading that is significant. The passport has limited clearance already.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks man that’s helpful. I do have a 2 inch lift I’m planning on installing So I’m mostly just concerned about the performance aspects of going from 265/60 down to 255/55. Also concerned they might look small or undersized.

So hard to tell without driving on them or seeing them on the car!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks man that’s helpful. I do have a 2 inch lift I’m planning on installing So I’m mostly just concerned about the performance aspects of going from 265/60 down to 255/55. Also concerned they might look small or undersized.

So hard to tell without driving on them or seeing them on the car!
I understand, I went through the same thoughts when selecting mine. I don't have a lift on mine. I didn't have any rubbing on mine either, though when the fenders were filled with mud I could feel the tires contacting the mud when doing the reverse full lock maneuver often described here. In my opinion, this is a none issue. During all on road and offroad driving there is absolutely no rubbing. If I never planned on going offroad of any significance, I would have either stayed with stock tires or considered other tires. I did see a slight decrease in mpg, but don't really feel any acceleration decrease. Heck, this is a suv, if I want performance I take my Spyder out for a drive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
The diameter difference between the two sizes is 1.5 inches, so that would be a .75 inch difference in ground clearance. If your going do do any moderate off-roading that is significant. The passport has limited clearance already.
So I ended up sizing down to 255/55/r18’s today and so far I’m happy with ‘em. 0 rub even at full lock, better asphalt performance and gas mileage. Probably did lose a lil bit of clearance but that’s ok.. when I say light to medium off-roading I do light wayyy more often so it should be fine.

Taking it out camping on miles of dirt roads this weekend to test ‘em. Cheers!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts