Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Dan (and others), did you consider this option? Perhaps yours is an Elite and you didn't need roof rails but I am thinking that this is not a bad price considering it also includes installation cost and option from the factory (vs Dealer accessory)?

From Honda's website on the EX-L AWD build:
These must-have, practical accessories pair an enhanced rugged look with a whole lot of utility.

The Utility Package includes the following:

• Crossbars
  • Roof Rails, Gloss Black
  • Trailer Hitch
Price includes installation cost.
Available On:
EX-L
Utility Package - Crossbars, Gloss Black Roof Rails, and Trailer Hitch - $1070.00 USD

Edit, for the Elite, it's $731USD (cheaper because the roof rails are already included)
These must-have, practical accessories pair an enhanced rugged look with a whole lot of utility.

• Crossbars
  • Trailer Hitch
  • Tailgate Kick Sensor Adaptor
Available On: Elite
EX-L Build Build and Price Result (MSRP on 'Utility Package' parts is $1083)
Elite Build Build and Price Result (MSRP on 'Utility Package' parts is $744)
Interesting that Honda site states: These upgrades come pre-equipped on your vehicle, so there’s no dealer installation cost.
But when you click on 'Details' it states: Price includes installation cost.

Leading you to think pre-equipped = factory installed . . . which is VERY doubtful.
More likely those parts are stuffed in the cargo area, just as the interior mats are shipped, for dealer installation . . . or parts are supplied and installed by dealer. :unsure:
So you are paying slightly under full MSRP for the parts, and N/C for dealer installation.

·
Registered
Thinking about a Passport, Outback XT, CX-50
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
EX-L Build Build and Price Result (MSRP on 'Utility Package' parts is $1083)
Elite Build Build and Price Result (MSRP on 'Utility Package' parts is $744)
Interesting that Honda site states: These upgrades come pre-equipped on your vehicle, so there’s no dealer installation cost.
But when you click on 'Details' it states: Price includes installation cost.

Leading you to think pre-equipped = factory installed . . . which is VERY doubtful.
More likely those parts are stuffed in the cargo area, just as the interior mats are shipped, for dealer installation . . . or parts are supplied and installed by dealer. :unsure:
So you are paying slightly under full MSRP for the parts, and N/C for dealer installation.
I need to get more details tomorrow, scheduled for a testdrive. From a brief discussion I gathered that I can't "build" a Honda (like Subaru, for ex.) and just send the order to a dealer. I have to pick from dealer inventory (inbound) and then negotiate pricing on what should be factory accessories (per Honda's website), vs Dealer accessories. The dealer basically told me that the Honda website is just wrong (i.e. you negotiate the hitch installs with me buddy boy). More to follow.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Dan (and others), did you consider this option? Perhaps yours is an Elite and you didn't need roof rails but I am thinking that this is not a bad price considering it also includes installation cost and option from the factory (vs Dealer accessory)?

From Honda's website on the EX-L AWD build:

• Crossbars
  • Roof Rails, Gloss Black
  • Trailer Hitch
Available On:
EX-L
Utility Package - Crossbars, Gloss Black Roof Rails, and Trailer Hitch - $1070.00 USD

Edit, for the Elite, it's $731USD (cheaper because the roof rails are already included)

• Crossbars
  • Trailer Hitch
  • Tailgate Kick Sensor Adaptor
Available On: Elite
That would be a great option if it's available to you. The Honda dealers that I spoke to told me that I couldn't order a Passport from the factory and "build" it to my specs. They said they simply get allocations of various models and really don't have any say in what they receive. Maybe you can get lucky and find one that has that package included on it. Unfortunately I didn't see any new Passports at the dealerships that had a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
Thinking about a Passport, Outback XT, CX-50
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Testdrove an Elite, 2022 Passport today, overall impressions below.
What I like:
Sonic Gray Pearl color and the overall looks, the wheels, the grille, piano black accents. This is a great looking SUV but I can also see why people make cosmetic changes to it. I happened to have a Pilot next to it (same color) and the overall stance on this is much more appealing to me
  1. Engine sound is great, nice grunt to it
  2. Cabin is quiet, suspension is great and very compliant, ride quality is excellent
  3. I am a SH-AWD fanboy from the Acura days. It made my Acura RL less rolie polie and this one behaves like a smaller SUV as well
  4. I can sleep in this if I had to (plan to car camp and tow occasionally) with the proper gear. If you're 6 foot or more leave the tailgate open I suppose
  5. The main touchscreen was responsive and more than adequate. Physical buttons for volume control, AC, etc. are perennial Honda
  6. I saw a few reviews where they complained about steering feel, vague and so on. I thought it was precise enough, they must be coming from a Lambo or something
  7. Tons of cubbies, cup holders (this will be a welcome addition to me), storage options
What I can deal with:
  1. Right side Driver's Armrest, really? Best Honda could come up with? It's not due to a lack of room surely
  2. Push Button switches to shift
  3. Less laggy transmission in Sport Mode. Less Manhandling of the accelerator required. This will be my standard mode when I am driving if I buy this car
  4. Cruise control takes its time to resume from slower speed to final set speed
  5. Brake travel is different from my current car. You could probably ride these brakes (as some people do) and nothing will happen because the first 20-30% of travel doesn't seem to do anything and then the brakes work like they should - as a matter of fact they work great
  6. The dashboard, my 2006 Acura RL had the same (well, similar) temp and fuel gauges. I also wish it tilted towards the driver a bit (nitpick)
  7. I thought the Carplay is supposed to be Wireless on the Elite trim (2022 year). Well, this one was wired only or I couldn't get it to work
  8. Lane monitoring was a tad more intrusive (steering wheel shakes back and forth vs a vibration on my current vehicle), something I could get used to
  9. I am indifferent - Adaptive cruise control, whatever
  10. Rear passenger Seat tilt, technically it does but for the most part it's useless

What I dislike:
  • Laggy transmission in regular Drive mode. I know I am coming from a 5 series sedan but one needs to manhandle this accelerator. Midway (around 4th or 5th, 25-30mph) there's a significant sense of shifting as if "I get it, you are being serious, ok, I will go faster to 60 now"
  • I am not sure I trust the safety systems (in any car, Tesla included). The lane keep assist does seem to bing back and forth between lanes a bit. I think the Subaru does this better
  • Collision avoidance warning showed up when it shouldn't (there was nothing there that I think I could have hit, it was a bright sunny day) but no braking or mitigation happened (which I prefer). On the flipside, twice and on purpose, I let the cars get too close to test and it did nothing. Your mileage may vary. The system on my 5 series is excellent (it notifies only and doesn't auto brake). Talking about mileage, I didn't test for it
Time to ride the Outback again, back to back tomorrow. I should change my signature (for some reason I don't want to even look at the CX-50. I have driven the CX-5 and it was meh!)

Reactions: JLH

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please share the details.
Manheim auction.
Car was listed for 36k sold by American Honda, but I won the bid at 37k-slightly higher than what I wanted to pay. The condition of the car was immaculate (rated 4.6 out of 5) which is really good. Single owner, No accident. Probably it was repo because the owner didn’t make payments, or it was a lease retrurn. But looking at the condition, it was probably the former one since I don’t know if anyone leasing will keep the car so good. But I could be wrong.

Mannheim Auction fees $750
The dealer fee $500 (Indep dealer whose primary business is mechanic)
Shipping cost Louseville KY to NJ $810. (Now this can easily be avoidable if I could find the car in NJ, NY, or PA) or closer to wherever the person is.

Then there is your sales tax, and DMV fees.

Lastly, you need to pay cash upfront. Because it is auctioned, you can’t go and look for financing once you win the bid. Money should be paid within a few days.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts