Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked on my new 2019 Passport Elite on April 17, 2019 Modern Steel. It is a great looking car and nice riding. It's the first Honda other than a motorcycle that I have owned. All ford from 1964 until now. We are enjoying the car but have ran into a problem. Around the 24th of April it started having some minor shifting issues and I just put it off as the transmission learning. By the 29th it became apparent that the problems were a little more pronounced. I took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed the car and said it would take of few days to relearn. On the 29th while waiting in line at the bank I heard a loud noise and a beep and the transmission just locked up. I would not go into any gear and I got a warning to drive over and pull off or something to that effect. It is now at the dealers awaiting a new transmission. They said at around a week to get a new transmission. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I was really enjoying the car and had put a lot of thought into getting it instead of the Ford Edge. Here's hoping I'm not disappointed with this decision. It's already causing me to miss my granddaughter's birthday.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, sorry to read about your challenges. Possibly the dealership jacked things up with the reprogramming. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
^ Doubt it. This is a brand new second gen ZF9 transmission. Sadly faulty ones will be out there and OP got one. Sorry to hear about it.

This is exactly why folks wait and don’t buy first year new model. So it’s a gamble when buying. Do know this. First year runs ALWAYS have the highest quality of parts and materials. That is one benefit. As the model years go on. They do everything to bring costs down. Hence lower quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that it is sometimes risky to purchase a first year model car. When I was looking I talked to a friend that purchased the Passport right after it came out. He travels extensively and probably has 10000 miles (just guessing on this) and has not has any problems other than a flat tire and a buzzard that hit his windshield. Besides the Passport is basically the Pilot that did not grow up. My wife has had two Jeeps and both of them had problems after purchase and they had been out for awhile. I think I'll be OK with this Passport but time will tell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hopefully it's just a one-off and once it's taken care of you'll have a solid relationship going forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts