Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I opened up Garmin Express (on my computer) and it advised me there were new updates for both my 19 Passport and 20 Odyssey.

It said three hours to upload but when I checked at the two hour mark it was complete. In the car it took about 20 min. to install/ update.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
209 Posts
Welcome Back!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Today I opened up Garmin Express (on my computer) and it advised me there were new updates for both my 19 Passport and 20 Odyssey.

It said three hours to upload but when I checked at the two hour mark it was complete. In the car it took about 20 min. to install/ update.
Thanks I wouldn't have known. But when I fire it up it has my CRV still listed! Apparently I never updated to the Passport and got rid of the CRV there. :)

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Thanks I wouldn't have known. But when I fire it up it has my CRV still listed! Apparently I never updated to the Passport and got rid of the CRV there "

Chances are pretty good that you'll first need to update the Garmin Express software before attempting to download the newest Passport map file.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Big Thanks, where are the instructions on how to update this?

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There are (to my knowledge) two separate aspects to updating. GOING BY ALCOHOL FUELED/ ELDERLY MEMORY CELLS:

First is to have a current version of Garmin Express on your computer - I vaguely remember updating mine several weeks ago.

Secondly you return to your auto with a clean formatted 32 GB (important, nothing bigger) thumb drive and run the "initialize" program. First start the car, then activate the Navigation menu; then select the setup procedure: (maybe three verticle dots in the upper right hand corner). From there scroll down to the pertinent part to start the update procedure. This writes the necessay car Nav system info to your thumb drive so that you can again return to your computers Garmin Express where it'll now believe that it's talking to your cars Nav system.

Follow the Garmin Express prompts and be patient. While you may have a fast internet connection Garmin doesn't; they're the weakest link in this.

Once you've got the data on your thumb drive return to your Passport and basically repeat the previous steps, working your way to installing the new data. Of course there is always the option to RTFM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just did the update. It went off without a hitch.

The first thing I did was download the latest Garmin Updater and then associated the Honda's Garmin with my account.

Downloading took a while but the update went pretty fast once I got it in the car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Interesting, used Garmin Express to get update and as soon as the app checks for updates a red banner across to top of the app states "Sorry, we're having a problem communicating with our servers." That started late last night as it's still continuing now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would just try another time as frustrating as it is....I have used Garmin for years and pretty satisfied with their frequent updates.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Appears Garmin's services and production are down after a ransomware attack.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Glad I got mine before the cyber attack.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Updated to Garmin Express 7.0.1.0 today on PC and it is showing the Honda Passport 2021.10 update availble.

I have the USB stick used for the prior update, and when I plug that in it shows Connected. Does anyone here know: does one HAVE TO go to the PP and get a fresh GarminDevice.xml file for the USB stick, or will it just make the very same xml file again i.e. no need to do this?

Just curious if anyone here knows?

EDIT: To answer my own question, it seems that you can't get to the Upload part of the process in the Honda without first plugging-in a freshly formatted USB stick. So it appears you have to start from scratch each time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Haven't updated the map from Garmin yet but, I got a notification on the head unit today that Honda had an update for the navigation system. Updated when I pulled up to my garage at the end of the day. LOL, haven't come anywhere so I can't comment on what bug fixes and improvements have been made.
This the the first update I've every received from Honda since I purchased last October. Hopefully this is the start of a trend and we'll see updates for the ACC, auto high beems, etc...

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts