Honda Passport Forum banner

New 2020 Touring Owner

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Wrascal 
#1 · (Edited)
Just traded my 2013 Pilot Touring for a 2020 Passport Touring Modern Steel Metallic, literally 7 hours ago. Loved my 2013 Pilot and had intended to look at/buy the 2020 Pilot Touring. With just the wife and I however we hardly used the 3rd row seating in the last 7 years, we maybe used the rear seat entertainment system a half dozen times with the granddaughters. The Passport just seemed to fit our needs better and the touring comes with all of the features I was looking for without any of the fluff that I really didn't care about such as the rear seat entertainment system. Sorry to say good by to the Pilot forum but glad to say hello to the Passport forum.

#4 ·
Welcome! Interesting how options can be added. My wife really wanted the heated steering wheel (we are in North Dakota) but it's only available with the Elite. After they realized it might be a deal breaker, they said they could add it. It wasn't free though.

#8 ·
Welcome! Interesting how options can be added. My wife really wanted the heated steering wheel (we are in North Dakota) but it's only available with the Elite. After they realized it might be a deal breaker, they said they could add it. It wasn't free though.
I'm Sorry, but thank you for being brave enough to live where you do. ⛄☃❄? :ROFLMAO:

Almost everything with Honda can now be added. The various trim packages, ie. adventure or urban packages no longer come on the vehicles but are dealer add ons with Honda. To me that is a nice change as you can basically have the vehicle you want without waiting for it to be built as well as getting only the features you want. Paint color is not a big deal to me. I have had almost every color there ever was on my vehicles over the years. Paint and body style are the last things on my list as neither get me from point A to point B. That is all under the hood and in the interior so that is where my focus is when I buy a vehicle.

When I bought my Pilot in 2013 the one option I did want was the navigation system. I intended to get the Pilot EX version, however navigation was a rare feature on the EX's and extremely expensive as well as difficult to retro fit.. Our Honda dealer looked around and could only find one EX with navigation and it was in Georgia. If there had been one in the surrounding five state area it would have cost me and extra $102 dollar to have it brought in. As the only one was in Georgia it was a couple of grand to get it here. At that point I was in the Touring price range so went with a Touring with the entertainment system that didn't get used. The oldest Granddaughter was only 18 months old then.

I am a tried and true Honda fan these days. The only other two vehicle lines I looked at were Toyota, geez are they ever going to update the interior? and Nissan. The Murano was a nice vehicle, well thought out interior and the 305 hp motor was definitely zippy, but was a bit cramped inside. The step up was bigger than the Pilot and not of interest to me. I am also not sure that the Nissans have the "quarter million mile" reputation that the Hondas and Toyotas have. The wife loves hers and has had NO issues with it since she bought it.

Almost forgot, thanks for Chris Klieman. He had a really good start at K state this year. (y)

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to all you new folks...

A couple of things:
(1) The heated steering wheel is listed under the individual accessories, so it should be able to be added
(2) Yes, the Touring model does NOT have the wireless charging, BUT to have your phone fully intagrated into the PP Apple-Play and/or Android, you need to plug it into to the USB port - which charges the phone. AND more importantly to two of us here, you CANNOT add the CD player if you have the wireless charging...

Cheers!

#6 ·
"Whats a CD?" :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Since Honda no longer puts hard drives in their vehicles the a CD player doesn't matter too me. I hated dragging CD's around. The rear seat entertainment system was nice, but as Grandparents it was rarely used. Taking the Granddaughters to the zoo, park etc. in Wichita, Kansas is not facilitated by them watching a movie and rarely do we take them on long enough trips, by car to warrant the system.

The only option I wanted that Honda could not give to me was the overhead camera view. Apparently the Acura side of the brand was complaining that their vehicles were too similar to the Honda versions and were having trouble selling the luxury grade vehicles. The overhead camera view was a concession that was a given only to Acura, at least for now.

My wife drives a 2016 Nissan Rogue that has the overhead cameras and would be nice to be able too see all around the vehicle at times as she can.

The big selling point to me for the Passport was that the vehicle is actually a different version of the Pilot for the most part. Same basic chassis and major components with a 6" shorter body, 1.5" higher clearance and no third row seat which allows for much more under deck storage than the Pilot. I loved my Pilot, however the third row very rarely got used for seating and the added interior cargo space will be nice. The dogs may not think so as they were the common occupiers of the second row, but they will get over it. They will now be relegated the very spacious back area.

#7 ·
Yeah, I would LOVE that overheard view! That would be my number one wish too! The other feature I would have liked is a rear view mirror than can show a rear camera feed, when/if the entire rear area is filling with camping gear.

Not only did I not need or want a three row vehicle, I actually leave my back two seats down all the time, about once a month I carry someone back there, but I like the nice flat look and no headrests sticking up in my rear view mirror.

Reactions: Beachbum07
#12 · (Edited)
I have a 40 pound mixed breed herding dog. Full of energy and has extreme anxiety when going in the car. She cries the entire trip. Driving 150 miles on the weekend drives me crazy!! Fortunately, the vet gave us some meds for anxiety, Trazodone. We give it to her 2-3 hours before the trip, and she turns into a very quiet mellow dog. No more crying in the car. Not even a peep! I regained my sanity!

#13 ·
I have a 40 pound mixed breed herding dog. Full of energy and has extreme anxiety when going in the car. She cries the entire trip. Driving 150 miles on the weekend drives me crazy!! Fortunate, the vet gave us some meds for anxiety, Trazodone. We give it to her 2-3 hours before the trip, and she turns into a very quiet mellow dog. No more crying in the car. Not even a peep! I regained my sanity!
Wow good luck with that one. The cage would be good for keeping your K9 buddy in the back but the crying etc. is a whole different matter. If the cage doesn't work my suggestion would be to look into the interior protection package. We had one small tear in the leather seat of our Pilot. With the interior protection package it cost me a couple of hours time for the Honda dealer to repair the puncture.

#15 ·
Okay, grabbed a quick snap of the new Passport as I was leaving the hospital today. Will post more when the weather warms and the sacrifices to the gods causes the return of the big yellow ball of fire surrounded by a field of blue to return to our cloudy skies.

View attachment 5015

What a great looking car! In fact it looks just like mine, except I have the Running Boards instead of the side Door Guards!
Enjoy...!

#17 ·
This is somewhat off subject but I believe still pertinent ... I loath the shiny exterior mirrors Honda put on the PP.
Had they been subdued I likely would have went with a white one vs. my dark/ subdued Covert PP.
White ones have superior mileage.

Eh, I don't care too much, but I guess if they had been color matched, that would have been cool!

You could always look at doing a colored vinyl wrap on your mirrors, if it's keeping you up at night...lol

Reactions: Beachbum07
#19 ·
This is somewhat off subject but I believe still pertinent ... I loath the shiny exterior mirrors Honda put on the PP.
Had they been subdued I likely would have went with a white one vs. my dark/ subdued Covert PP.
White ones have superior mileage.
Ray Maglozzi would tell you that you are wrong. The blue ones get the best gas milage and the white ones always have the weird problems that end up on Stump The Chump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.