Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first off, I want to say I live in So. Cal. and have no experience with this issue and instead of going and reading a bunch of YouTube videos, I thought I'd ask the helpful Honda community here:

Our daughter is attending college in Boulder, Co, and in her second year, she now has her vehicle with her. I'm trying to figure out how to keep her from having to scrape ice (snow) off her windshield (car is parked outside) once winter sets in.

Will something like this work: https://www.carcovers.com/accessories/snowshield.html

I contacted the Car Cover manufacturer and they said to put a top of the line car cover OVER the above car shield.

I'm hoping that some of you living in similar areas can offer some tips, tricks and advise...

Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Having lived in the Northeast (Boston metro area) for over 10 years and our last winter (2014-2015) was the worst, I suggest not using a car cover or windshield cover of any sort. That will be more of a nuisance than help.

Buy a decent snow brush with scraper. It is a necessity and life skills for living in cold climates. Of course, scraper on glass only and be sure to brush off the hood, else it will impede your own visibility at speed. Most snow belt states require you to brush off snow and ice off the top of your car, too. Ice becomes a dangerous projectile at highway speeds for vehicles behind.

Some people prefer to lift the wipers in the upright position prior to a snow or ice event. This keeps the wipers from freezing onto the windshield.

·
Registered
892 Posts
StevenD: listen to DudeCS. We live in Pennsylvania. We get lots of snow and ice. Windshield covers, and its cousin, full car covers, are only marginally effective. Here's the problem. You have to cover the windshield BEFORE it starts snowing/sleeting/hailing. In my experience, you never remember to do this ahead of time or it snows, etc. during the night when your sound asleep and you awake to a beautiful blanket of pristine snow. Having your daughter learn these essential adaptive cold-weather skills will make her a more resilient woman, a hardy citizen and prudent preparer with her snow brush, ice scraper and she (and/or friend) can send you photos of her smiling while she clears the snow wearing her new winter hat and matching mittens. Remember: Anything unpleasant builds character. Trust her to know what to do, remember, she will be surrounded with many snow raised students. Knowing your excellent parenting skills, she will do fine. Ken in PA.

·
Registered
381 Posts
What they said Steven. I live in Canada in the snow belt. Car covers are useless in blowing snow, they blow off and also freeze up. Get a good long handled snow brush/ ice scraper, keep a good windshield washer antifreeze in the wiper fluid reservoir. Always keep an emergency kit in the car (emergency candles, spare warm clothes etc).

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome guys, I'm convinced and it saves me a couple of hundred dollars!

A round of drinks for all of you...!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Cans of de-icer and a good scrapper is what gets us through our winters here in Oklahoma.

Side note, one of the reasons we bought the passport was the remote start and heated seats so my wife
Could remote start it at the end of her shift so it would be thawed by the time she got out. Too many times she would have to spend half an hour scraping windows and letting the car warm up. Not anymore!!! ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
. . . well, since there is now a round of drinks involved! :D . . . Two things are a must. First and foremost, the best snow (NOT ALL-SEASON!) tires and an extendable brush/scraper combo.

·
Registered
892 Posts
All good suggestions from DudeCS, elder prep, WayneP, Jermboy777 and Cranbrooked to StevenD. We've been there, done that. Now, about that round of drinks . . . . :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
We have parked cars outside in WI, KY and VA. We have used old crib mattress covers on our windshields for many years, perfect size! It is always habit to put them on nearly every night in the winter and has saved much time in scraping windshields. You dont need to spend hundreds of dollars for covers. Even an old sheet on the windshield will help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Don't forget too, that her CA car likely has windshield washer fluid only good to +32 F. You can get the good stuff in CO, good to 0 F.
I learned the hard way on my first trip to CO from CA in a winter. Frozen fluid and lines. Lot of time with a hair dryer in my son's garage to get it all thawed out and replaced.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't forget too, that her CA car likely has windshield washer fluid only good to +32 F. You can get the good stuff in CO, good to 0 F.
I learned the hard way on my first trip to CO from CA in a winter. Frozen fluid and lines. Lot of time with a hair dryer in my son's garage to get it all thawed out and replaced.
Yup! Same when we bought in FL.. Didnt realize that and had frozen lines up in VA too!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,976 Posts
Hello, first off, I want to say I live in So. Cal. and have no experience with this issue and instead of going and reading a bunch of YouTube videos, I thought I'd ask the helpful Honda community here:

Our daughter is attending college in Boulder, Co, and in her second year, she now has her vehicle with her. I'm trying to figure out how to keep her from having to scrape ice (snow) off her windshield (car is parked outside) once winter sets in.

Will something like this work: https://www.carcovers.com/accessories/snowshield.html

I contacted the Car Cover manufacturer and they said to put a top of the line car cover OVER the above car shield.

I'm hoping that some of you living in similar areas can offer some tips, tricks and advise...

Thanks

No worries Steven, she will be back by the end of a February!
It is too COLD there for those of us used to living below the Orange Curtain!

? Heather

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,976 Posts
The Orange Curtain, interesting. Being a northerner, I've never heard that phrase before.
I think it’s mainly the LA and No Cal folks that call us that. They think we are more entitled living by the beach in our 500 sq ft apartments and not being a douchebag on the freeway!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think it’s mainly the LA and No Cal folks that call us that. They think we are more entitled living by the beach in our 500 sq ft apartments and not being a douchebag on the freeway!
LOL LOL!! Loved your description of the Orange Curtain! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts