Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the new 2019 Passport offer free navigation map updates? Ihad a 2017 Ridgeline which included map updates for the first 5 years.
I'm considering getting a Passport Touring model.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not to my knowledge. In fact, I got something in the mail offering a map update for $190.

My previous car was a 2012 Pilot Touring. No free map updates there, either.

Is it possible that was something offered by the dealer? I hadn’t heard of that being offered by Honda.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it was not offered by the dealer. It was a standard inclusion for all 2017 Ridgelines. My brother still has his Ridgeline and has updated a couple of times. I updated once while I owned mine. It was a Garmin based nav system and map updates were downloaded online. My portable Garmin GPS has lifetime map updates via the internet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh, I see. Back in 2012 it was still DVD updates.

I need to go back through my stuff, but I’m pretty sure they’re charging for the updates.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I believe the 5 year free update still applies. I have updated our 2017 CRV 3x for free since we bought it. As soon as we pick up our PP next week, I'll be doing the update.

Reactions: rls002

·
Registered
372 Posts
Scooter1 is correct

Reactions: rls002

·
Registered
184 Posts
That’s good to know. Any tips on where to find that? Should I just try and update through HondaLink? I’ve not spent much time with that app, so maybe this is the right time to try to get it to work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did the map update and when I plugged the USB drive into my computer, the Garmin app said I was updating an Odyssey! I kept going and the map updated OK.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did the map update and when I plugged the USB drive into my computer, the Garmin app said I was updating an Odyssey!
Mine also showed as an Odyssey. In my HondaLink app it shows as a Pilot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I didn’t see the Passport listed on the Garmin update page. Should I choose the Pilot link?
Yes, the instructions are the same.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
From this FAQ:

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/resources/faqs/en_US.html

Do I have to pay for map updates?
For Honda vehicles with Garmin navigation, a user gets 5 years of map updates at no cost.

How much longer will I receive free map updates for?
Garmin Express will display how much time you have left in your subscription.

Reactions: rls002 and Pdog

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I dowloaded the new map the USB drive on my computer it said something about map updates through 3/31/2024. I bought my Passport 3/14/19. Five years of map updates. New updates are available each year. I found out when I bought my 2017 Ridgeline it was the same. Both with my Ridgeline and my Passport I got various answers from sales people regarding map updates.

Reactions: Pdog

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
For those that have done this, how long does the update actually take? (I don't wanna start it if I might have to stop in the middle.)

·
Registered
276 Posts
For those that have done this, how long does the update actually take? (I don't wanna start it if I might have to stop in the middle.)
When I updated the CRV, it took a full 20 minutes and the vehicle must be running, so sat in the parking lot and read a magazine. You also cannot turn the radio on or you'll have to start over. Hopefully that wont be the same for the PP. Will check it this weekend.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine took 45-50 minutes to download, but only 15-20 minutes to update in the car.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts